DoubleLive78
Diglot
United States
Joined 3637 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 1 of 27
29 May 2014 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
What are the biggest obstacles or challenges you face in language learning?
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 27
29 May 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Motivation. And, making mistakes. :P

mariya
Triglot
United States
Joined 5435 days ago

7 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: French, Russian
Studies: German, Italian, English*

Message 3 of 27
29 May 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
The biggest setback was reaching a plateau in my language-learning process. When you start out, rapid gains are
made in language acquisition, but are then replaced by minimal improvements once you reach a certain level), since
language learning is a logarithmic process.
As a result, boredom can set in quickly if you're teaching yourself the language, like I was, because resources to
challenge you are few and far between once you've reached an advanced level (unless you can travel to a place
where the language is spoken, which I imagine would present a bigger challenge than simply watching
movies/reading books/etc).

Edited by mariya on 29 May 2014 at 11:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4895 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 4 of 27
30 May 2014 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
I struggle with not wanting to hit the books so to speak. I have not problem watching a
favorite show or reading a novel, but I always find an excuse not do learn vocab lists or
study grammar rules.

But more than that I struggle with my dislike of human interaction. I want to speak
language but I often hate the actual talking part or at best I only do it sporadically
now.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3877 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 5 of 27
30 May 2014 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Mental resources. I wish I had better memory, and better mental stamina against fatigue
from studying.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 6 of 27
30 May 2014 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Finding your strengths & weaknesses which would determine your approach to learning. Getting
yourself into at least 1h learning every day and tracking your progress.

At first we follow phrase books and learning materials and tend to move up the learning curve very
slowly in a snail pace. The other day I was watching a short video by Steve Kaufmann the polyglot in
Vancouver, Canada on language learning. He suggested the way language instruction is taught in
Canada it would take forever for English speakers to become fluent in French if they ever do. The people
who are giving the lessons in elementary & high schools are satisfied with the status quo instead of
finding new ways to get people to become bilingual.

Like the way you'd learn French in the beginning with some basic greetings: "Bonjour, je m'appelle"
("Hello, my name is") sort of thing. Once you get to a certain point, you don't always start a conversation
with the same standard greeting. And as you learn more words & phrases, you'd be able to substitute
different words & phrases such as: "J'habite ici depuis 5 ans" (out of a textbook in French). For a
common phrase: "I've been living here for 5 years" you can easily replace "ici" with "à Paris" or change
the number 5 to another number sort of thing.

The biggest challenge would be how to make the leap from the classroom & learning materials into the
real world where you're comfortable conducting yourself socially in conversations.

Edited by shk00design on 30 May 2014 at 5:01am

sabotai
United States
Joined 5677 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 7 of 27
30 May 2014 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
My biggest problem is that I get distracted easily. I can get lost in something and lose a whole day to it. I'll load up Skyrim just to play for 30 minutes before I get to studying languages, or I start reading a novel - "Just one chapter, then I'll study German", or "just 1 episode of a Korean Variety show and then it's time to hit the books"...the next thing I know, several hours have passed and it's time for bed.

And when that happens 2 or 3 days in a row, it's a struggle to get back into my daily routine.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 27
30 May 2014 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Probably not enough contact with native speakers in a reasonably natural environment.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version