27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3709 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 25 of 27
06 June 2014 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
I'm from the southern US. So short sounds are somewhat of a challenge. The Russian short e is a fine example. I'm missing parts of my mouth, and this seems to make rolling my r's can be a challenge. I also have a bit of trouble with any language that has liaisons.
1 person has voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4104 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 26 of 27
06 June 2014 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I don't understand. You can't shorten vowel sounds just because you have a drawling native
English accent? I don't know the Russian e but can you not do an impression of a British English
e in "head" for example?

You're missing parts of your mouth? Is this southern slang for being accent-
challenged or do you actually have a hole at your uvula/alveolar ridge where you should
make a rolled r sound?

You have problems with "liasons"? Is this similar to the "intrusive R/L" in
English? If so, why is this difficult, since it's purpose seems to be to make things
easier to pronounce?

Edited by Retinend on 06 June 2014 at 10:02am

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3709 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 27 of 27
06 June 2014 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
In french if you have a vowel sound you attach the end of the last word at the beginning of the next example:
u n'homme (a man) it's only difficult because I don't think that way. The short vowels are hard because my
accent is borrowed partly from the old style low country South Carolina accent that I got from my grandfather.
It's one of my favorite accents though it's never done right in movies or tv. (Think the lady from gone with the
wind, and that's close enough) I honestly don't know what part of the mouth that is, but the roof of my mouth
is somewhat flat due to it being sacrificed for fixing my cleft pallet. I'm also missing most of the muscles in the
left side of my jaw that connect the top jaw to the bottom behind your teeth (sorry don't know their names)
due to the same set of surgeries. (Since you asked). I also cannot whistle. Most of the time when I try to roll
my r's or whistle it just comes out as air. I was told you use the curved part of your mouth to do both things.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version