Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4119 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 25 of 73
19 June 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Two Spanish expressions that bother me a lot: "Subir arriba" and "Bajar abajo". Subir means "to go up", and Bajar means "To go down". If the verbs already indicate where you re going, why do some people add the unnecessary prepositions "arriba" (up) and "abajo" (down)? As if it were possible "subir abajo" (to "climb downwards") or "bajar arriba" (to "descend upwards") :P
2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4458 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 26 of 73
19 June 2014 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Haha, people actually say "coup de grace" like "coup de gra?" Never knew that...

The only thing that really irks me is when people hypercorrect and then insist that their hypercorrection is the right version. Like "viri" or "virii" for the plural of "virus."

Oh, and in French I think for a long time I failed to learn the proper gender of "(une) espèce" because saying "un espèce de [masculine noun]" seems to be somewhat common. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

biagio
Italy
Joined 5001 days ago

26 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 27 of 73
19 June 2014 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
nicozerpa wrote:
Two Spanish expressions that bother me a lot: "Subir arriba" and "Bajar abajo". Subir means "to go up", and Bajar means "To go down". If the verbs already indicate where you re going, why do some people add the unnecessary prepositions "arriba" (up) and "abajo" (down)? As if it were possible "subir abajo" (to "climb downwards") or "bajar arriba" (to "descend upwards") :P

A similar thing happens in Italian when they say "entrare dentro": "entrare" already means "to go in", so why add "dentro" (in)?

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Studies: German

Message 28 of 73
19 June 2014 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
"Where are you at?"

What is the correct way to ask this?

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4458 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 29 of 73
19 June 2014 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
"Where are you?", I guess. "Where are you at?" sounds fine to me, just less formal. Interesting that tacking on a preposition makes it seem more colloquial.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 30 of 73
19 June 2014 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Or it's child, "Where is you at?"

Mistakes with apostrophes really bother me. They are more common in the UK than in the
USA, as far as I can tell. In the UK they call an apostrophe used in a plural word a
"greengrocer's apostrophe", because it is common to see it on hand-drawn signs at
grocery shops. For example: "strawberrie's 95p" (or even "strawberry's 95p"),
"banana's 50p", etc.

Luke's mistake is a bit more difficult to avoid, and I accidentally write "it's" when I
meant to write "its" when I'm in a rush.

Gemuse wrote:
mick33 wrote:
"Where are you at?"

It should simply be, "Where are you?" The rule is that you're not supposed to end a
sentence with a preposition. This rule might just be one for sticklers, and there are
probably perfectly good examples where it sounds fine. But in this instance, it is
redundant. This reminds me of a joke:
Quote:
A man visiting Harvard asks a student, "Where is the library at?" The student
answers, "At Harvard, one does not end a sentence with a preposition." The man replies,
"OK, where is the library at, asshole?"

I am aware that I have broken a "rule" in this post. You're not supposed to begin a
sentence with "and" or "but". However, I tend to use "but" anyway just because I want
to. The correct option is to use "however", but I think it sounds a bit too stuffy. I
tend to alternate in this case.

EDIT to explain "it's" versus "its". You only use the apostrophe for "it is" in this
case.

Edited by Jeffers on 19 June 2014 at 1:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5055 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 31 of 73
19 June 2014 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
mick33 wrote:
"Where are you at?"

Where are you? The "at" at the end is redundant.

Slang/informal usage of the phrase is high in many areas. In New Orleans, locals are known as "yats" because they'll often say "Where y'at?". The "y" has a slight "ye" sound. "Where y'at?" is like a "secret handshake" almost a "shiboleth" amongst New Orlenians. I almost never hear the phrase here on-island except from people from New Orleans.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Studies: German

Message 32 of 73
19 June 2014 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
I thought the kids these days say "Where you at" rather than "Where are you at".

Edited by Gemuse on 19 June 2014 at 2:38pm

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version