Italy
Joined 4261 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: Persian, Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: French, Polish

Message 33 of 73
19 June 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
biagio wrote:
A similar thing happens in Italian when they say "entrare dentro": "entrare" already means "to go in", so why add "dentro" (in)?

Those are syntagmatic verbs, they work like English phrasal verbs. In this case the particle is used as a pleonasm to intensify the meaning of the verb.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 34 of 73
19 June 2014 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
The FIFA World Cup commentary, particularly by British commentators, magnifies a language
usage that hurts my ears: Using collective nouns as plurals. "The team are playing well
today. England are playing great. Brazil expect to win the match." The same usage occurs
in other sports but it seems to be more prevalent in football. I can understand why this
usage is so common. It is a short cut and easier. But a team or a country's team is a
single unit. "Spain is out." "Germany is a good team". But I guess common usage makes a
language, so I guess I have to get used to it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4376 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 35 of 73
19 June 2014 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
"Could of" in place of "could have" is my pet hate. It's so prevalent in my part of the world that I think I was 18 before I realised it was actually a mistake!
3 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4415 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 36 of 73
19 June 2014 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
But a team or a country's team is a single unit. "Spain is out." "Germany is a good team". But I guess common usage makes a language, so I guess I have to get used to it.

So what are you supposed to say instead of "we beat them"?

Most football fans refer to their club side or country with the pronouns "we" and "us"

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 37 of 73
19 June 2014 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
The FIFA World Cup commentary, particularly by British commentators, magnifies a language
usage that hurts my ears: Using collective nouns as plurals. "The team are playing well
today. England are playing great. Brazil expect to win the match." The same usage occurs
in other sports but it seems to be more prevalent in football. I can understand why this
usage is so common. It is a short cut and easier. But a team or a country's team is a
single unit. "Spain is out." "Germany is a good team". But I guess common usage makes a

You can use singular or plural verbs with collective nouns, but I think it is more common to use the plural in
the UK than it is in the USA.

This website
confirms that there is a difference between American and British usage.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4458 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 38 of 73
19 June 2014 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
I thought the kids these days say "Where you at" rather than "Where are you at".

The two become indistinguishable fairly easily, since in casual speech the vowel of "are" is often reduced and "where are" sounds like just "where" with a longer "r" at the end.

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4119 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 39 of 73
19 June 2014 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
tommus wrote:

You can use singular or plural verbs with collective nouns, but I think it is more common to use the plural in the UK than it is in the USA.

This website confirms that there is a difference between American and British usage.

Actually, when I learned (British) English at a language school, we were taught to use collective nouns that way.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3649 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 40 of 73
19 June 2014 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I see 'bestfriend' a lot, and it really irritates me. It doesn't sound like one word
when said aloud, unlike 'a lot' and so I really don't understand why this mistake is so
common. I don't usually like to pick other people up on their mistakes because I know I
make a lot myself, but this one I just don't get.

Also, when people mix up 't's and 'd's. I know this is due to differing pronunciation,
but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

(By the way, don't hesitate to call me out if I've made a mistake in this post!)

*EDIT for spelling 'bestfriend' correctly!

Edited by Elenia on 19 June 2014 at 5:48pm

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version