United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4979 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 65 of 73
22 June 2014 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
@Elenia- Well that would just make me want to irritatingly have some words with them!

...Nope, it feels all wrong. I'd definitely use irritably or irately(but not
irritatadly). Better yet, I'd say "have some irate words," at least in that particular
sentence.

Darklight1216 wrote:
Maybe it's been said already, but I don't like it when people
say things like "a orange"
or "a apple" or "a honest man."

We have the word "an" for a reason.

Speaking of this, I know it's another dialect thing, but when somebody write something
like "an hotel." It's not a problem when spoken, since I can hear them drop the h, and
maybe it would be different if I didn't subvocalize when I read, but when written it's
a bit jarring. I've adjusted a little and just drop the h myself most of the time.

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 66 of 73
23 June 2014 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:

Speaking of this, I know it's another dialect thing, but when somebody write something
like "an hotel." It's not a problem when spoken, since I can hear them drop the h, and
maybe it would be different if I didn't subvocalize when I read, but when written it's
a bit jarring. I've adjusted a little and just drop the h myself most of the time.

"An" before a vocalized "h" in some words is fairly common in England, although I haven't figured out if there are rules or regions associated with it. I've heard it with hotel, hospital and half.

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4979 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 67 of 73
23 June 2014 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
hjordis wrote:

"An" before a vocalized "h" in some words is fairly common in England, although I haven't
figured out if there are rules or regions associated with it. I've heard it with hotel,
hospital and half.
Interesting! Either I've never heard it before or it doesn't
bother me as much as it does when I see it written (since it's not part of MY dialect and
I tend to read in my own voice).

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4893 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 68 of 73
23 June 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:

Same here. I have to do a double take when I see that, and unfortunately it seems to be
happening more and more.

Actually, it could be that it's something that is making a come back because I know
that in the King James Version of the Bible, Genesis has a verse which states "I shall
make an help meet for him" and there is another verse which speaks of "an helmet."

Edited by Darklight1216 on 23 June 2014 at 6:08am

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4458 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 69 of 73
23 June 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
"An" before a vocalized "h" in some words is fairly common in England,
although I haven't figured out if there are rules or regions associated with it. I've
heard it with hotel, hospital and half.

I've heard it with hotel and historic and perhaps a few others, but never hospital or
half (well, maybe "an 'alf pint" but I'm not sure that counts!).

As a network software developer I used to hear "a ACK" (rather than "an ACK") to clearly
distinguish it from "a NAK".

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4415 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 70 of 73
25 June 2014 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
hjordis wrote:

"An" before a vocalized "h" in some words is fairly common in England, although I haven't figured out if there are rules or regions associated with it. I've heard it with hotel, hospital and half.

Although you never see anyone refer to "an horse"

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6998 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 71 of 73
25 June 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
hjordis wrote:

"An" before a vocalized "h" in some words is fairly common in England, although I haven't figured out if there
are rules or regions associated with it. I've heard it with hotel, hospital and half.

Although you never see anyone refer to "an horse"

I have heard someone once referred to as what sounded like, "an horse's ass", but i think they really meant a
bear's butt.
2 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3892 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 72 of 73
25 June 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
I don't care much how other people speak, but I am slightly irked when native Swedes say interjuva (verb: interview) instead of intervjua. It's not like they would be caught dead saying they went to an interjuv (noun: interview).

There are also a handful of frequent idioms that you hear spoken incorrectly more often than you hear them spoken correctly. Dra alla över en kant instead of dra alla över en kam comes to mind.

My only other pet-peeve is in writing so I suppose that it doesn't count as vernacular: when adults consistently write dem (them) instead of de (they), or make a choice between de and dem seemingly at random. The vernacular is to blame, though, since both words have come to be pronounced the same.

Edited by eyðimörk on 25 June 2014 at 8:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version