1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 42 of 46
28 July 2014 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
From Evita's log (hope it's okay to quote ^_^)

Evita wrote:
I was reading kuji's log and I found this article about mistakes and bad habits. I was a bit stunned when I read it because it describes exactly how I have been approaching and learning Korean. Since I have no one to correct my mistakes, I simply don't make them and get lots of input instead. I like it. I even go so far as to not read Tarko's and druckfehler's log posts if they are in Korean because they could contain mistakes which I wouldn't be aware of.

One reason I very much don't want to form bad habits in a foreign language is that I get to listen to them almost daily at work. We have some Russians who speak adequate Latvian but they still make mistakes sometimes and no one corrects them. I don't correct them either partly because I don't feel it would be appropriate and partly because I don't think they care that they make these mistakes. They just speak how they can but I notice those mistakes and I don't like it. And then, of course, there's the way everyone speaks English at some of our meetings. It bothers me when I hear a mistake but I can't do anything about it, I can't be the language police. So I never say anything. It's just a fact of life that most people don't care about speaking any language correctly, even their native one.

As I said, I don't want to form bad habits but I may be already doing it in German since I'm forced to write bug descriptions in German and no one checks them. I'll probably show some of them later to my German teacher although I'm not sure even she would know all the software-related Begriffe that I've been using.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 43 of 46
28 July 2014 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Nobody wants to make mistakes or form bad habits when learning a foreign language, or anything for that
matter. The problem is that for all learners it is often difficult to detect when one is making a mistake. It's not as
simple as saying, like Evita, "Since I have no one to correct my mistakes, I simply don't make them and get lots of
input instead."

The idea behind this sort of thinking is don't say or write a thing unless you have heard it from a good source.
Not a bad idea, and this is what a lot of us do with writing. Plus when writing we can revise our output before
hitting that Post Reply button. Even with that I for one make plenty of mistakes that I only see later.

But this does not work well in spontaneous speech. We don't have a Preview button for speaking.
We have to remember that the big problem for everybody when speaking a second language is the presence of
the first language lurking under the surface. Most, if not all, our mistakes come from the interaction of the two
languages. This is very apparent in accent. Most of us will have an accent for the rest of our lives.

The rest of the language is easier to master, but there often remains areas where certain mistakes have become
crystallized that one is totally unaware of.

This is where working with a professional tutor is absolutely essential. People think they speak perfectly until
they start working with a good tutor. All of a sudden, all sorts of little details have to be corrected. Things that
you've been saying improperly for years are brought to light.

But more importantly, a good tutor shows you how to say things in a natural and fluent manner. So, instead of
being frightened to death of making a mistake, invest in a good tutor
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 46
28 July 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I'm inclined to agree with the original article that pronunciation is more of an exception:

People sometimes say that the process of learning a language has to involve a lot of mistakes, because they think learning a language is like learning to play golf. But this is a bad analogy. In languages, it is easy to “follow good examples”. In golf, it is difficult.

If you see a few example sentences with a word, it is not difficult to produce a correct sentence with that word. On the other hand, you could watch professional golfers all day long, and still be unable to strike the ball correctly. The only hard-to-imitate element in languages is pronunciation.

Also, I doubt we have all that many people who are delusional enough to think they speak perfectly when they don't. Remember that many HTLAL'ers either enjoy learning grammar, or get a lot of input (or both).

Besides, not getting corrections orally doesn't mean not getting them in writing, either explicitly or in the form of exercises, googling etc. And nearly error-free writing is fairly easy to transfer into good speaking (at least if you can think in the language and write correctly without double-checking). That's what I've done in Finnish, mostly by using shadowing.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 45 of 46
29 July 2014 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
People sometimes say that the process of learning a language has to involve a lot of mistakes, because they
think learning a language is like learning to play golf. But this is a bad analogy. In languages, it is easy to “follow
good examples”. In golf, it is difficult.

If you see a few example sentences with a word, it is not difficult to produce a correct sentence with that word.
On the other hand, you could watch professional golfers all day long, and still be unable to strike the ball
correctly. The only hard-to-imitate element in languages is pronunciation.

If learning a language were as simple as looking at a few example sentences of a word and then producing
correct sentences of that word. This is must be the understatement of the year. How do people attempt to learn
languages? They look at good examples all the time. All the methods, whether self-learning or classroom are full
of good examples.

So, why do people still make mistakes? They make mistakes when they go beyond repeating the good examples
because they have not mastered all the grammatical and lexical intricacies in order to speak correctly.

As I have said repeatedly, as language learners we all emulate good examples that we hear and read. But when it
comes to actually speaking spontaneously and interacting with native speakers, there is a relatively long process
before we can produce error-free output.

I have never heard of anyone studying a language passively and then start speaking it perfectly with native
speakers. I believe that this is impossible.

Edited by s_allard on 29 July 2014 at 1:59am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 46 of 46
29 July 2014 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
Problems mostly happen when people generalize based on the usage in their native language or try to use words based on what they see in the dictionary, often without any example sentences.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version