United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 9 of 111
09 August 2014 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm familiar with SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) but I hadn't heard BHAG before. But I'll use your question to spend a bit more time thinking concretely about my goals.

Mandarin - I've already stated this one and started my log. I want to learn Mandarin to C1 level in 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years. This would mean I can speak, read and write to C1 before my birthday! I would like to give myself a trip to Asia as a present and visit Taiwan, China and Singapore.

Italian - I want to complete the SC in Italian!!! I want to be able to read in Italian with 99% comprehension and I want to watch Italian TV & Films with no subtitles and 99% comprehension.

French - I want to complete the SC in French, which should be easier than Italian because I read French better and faster. I want to watch and understand films & TV with 99% comprehension. But most important of all I want to sit down with my colleagues in France and have business meetings in French of which I'm a full and equal participant.

I have an action plan for how I'm going to accomplish Mandarin and I devote a lot of time to the SC in hope that it will bring the desired result with French & Italian. I also want to stop using colours in all my posts because I seem to have become addicted to it.

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 111
09 August 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
All my goals are hairy goals, but when it comes to language learning - manage to speak 10
languages at B2 level or over (and I am now at about 7). Preferably having Hebrew and two
other languages on that list (which ones we will have to wait and see, but Portuguese and
Chinese look likely at the moment).

As for reading novels - I'm okay on that front.

However, I would like to be able to write and speak French so well that I can do anything
in French and resemble a native, and I am not that far yet. But first I would like 100%
full professional ability in French.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3829 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 11 of 111
09 August 2014 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Mandarin: I need to get it back, I've already learned it in my childhood but have barely used it.
Cantonese: Continue to study, I want to be able to communicate and take part in conversation when I go to Hong
Kong next year. I wish to also understand written work.
German: Not so important now really. But I think I still need to get more vocabulary in, I have a feel for the syntax
already.

Arabic: I haven't really touched this, I don't think I aim for fluency here, I just want to know the language in its
details the same way one studies Latin not to speak it but to appreciate it, except I can only appreciate Arabic.
I may include Sanskrit with this too, hopefully I can do something similar with Navajo as well.

Thai: Similar to Arabic, I just want to get a language with this typology in my head, something that is unlike Arabic.

Edited by Stolan on 09 August 2014 at 6:24pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6953 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 12 of 111
09 August 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I do not know to which point this is a familiar expression to native speakers - but we use it a lot in Norway to
express something you trust that it is possible to do in the long term, but that you know is very hard to
achieve.

I found the following definition:

A Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG) is a strategic business statement similar to a vision statement which
is created to focus an organization on a single medium-long term organization-wide goal which is audacious,
likely to be externally questionable, but not internally regarded as impossible.

[...]
So what are your hairy goals?

Reach B1/B2 in Bashkir. Seriously.

Ersen-Rasch, Margarethe I. “Baschkirisch - Lehrbuch für Anfänger und Fortgeschrittene” Wiesbaden: Harrasowitz, 2009, back cover wrote:
„Baschkirisch für Anfänger und Fortgeschrittene” richtet such an Turkologen und Turkologiestudierende sowie an alle den Türksprachen Interessierten und entspricht dem Gemeinsamen Europäischen Refernzrahmen A1 bis knapp B2. Kenntnisse des Türkischen und das kyrillischen Alphabets werden nicht vorausgesetzt.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3941 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 111
09 August 2014 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
My Big Hairy Audacious Goals:

Spanish: C2. I would like to be as comfortable in Spanish as I am in French or in English. I'm giving myself decades
to accomplish this.

Tagalog: Full holiday celebration with all the in-laws - and no one having to switch to English to include me.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4625 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 111
09 August 2014 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
In British usage "hairy" means "scary" (more or less - by analogy with a hairy spider,
I suppose), although the combination "hairy goal" is not one I've come across before -
but who knows what the hipster kiddies or the management-geek-speakers are saying
nowadays? :-)

I don't quite think of my language goals in this way. It's more a case of just keeping
on keeping on.

But I do now think I have a concrete goal of massively trying to increase my vocabulary
in my existing target languages, rather than being content as I seem to have been for
too long, in just picking up the odd word here and there and now and again. Thanks to
some useful discussions here, Polydog and other places, I've also clarified some of my
ideas about how to go about it, too.

demie
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3837 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Slovenian

Message 15 of 111
09 August 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Hm for me I think:

French - be regularly mistaken for a native. Be able to function completely and entirely
in French

Slovene - achieve B2, basically be good enough to convince Slovenes to not just switch to
English immediately lol

Japanese - clearly I'll never be mistaken for a native (i am the whitey whitest) but I'd
like to shock people with how good I am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 16 of 111
09 August 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Be a hairy scary librarian.

I mean.

English: Don't tell people my native language isn't English unless they ask me directly.

Other languages: When I was impulsive and let on I speak some of somebody's language, don't run away.

This discussion contains 111 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version