Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 25 of 111
10 August 2014 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:
sillygoose1 wrote:
French:

-Be able to better understand French rap
-Increase my comprehension when there's loud music/a lot of noise in the background
-Be able to better guess words that were inaudible to fill in the gaps in sentences

Spanish:

-Same as French minus the rap part

Italian:

-Listen to the news with ease
-Learn a bit of dialect

Thankfully for you, those are not very hairy goals.

I guess it depends on the person. I'm not sure if anyone else listens to a lot of hip hop in other languages, but I never realized how much of a pain it was to try to decipher certain songs from certain artists. I'm basically aiming for near-native comprehension rather than just "advanced".

My Italian goals are listed because I don't see myself having a lot of free time for 3 languages for the time being.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 111
10 August 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
It does indeed depend on the person, and on the level. 5 years ago, reading any sort of Russian text outside
a text book was an extremely hairy and fuzzy goal for me. Now I am considering the classics :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 111
10 August 2014 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

A Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG) is a strategic business statement similar to a vision statement which
is created to focus an organization on a single medium-long term organization-wide goal which is audacious,
likely to be externally questionable, but not internally regarded as impossible.

We use it just as much on an individual level, and not necessarily for a single goal either.

So what are your hairy goals?

To be conversational in all the major Romance, Germanic, and Slavic languages, plus Korean, Japanese, Turkish, Modern Greek, Thai, and maybe Mandarin. To be at a B2-ish in most of them, and C1 in a few of them.

Wow, when I group all the families together, it doesn't look like such a big task.

One or two things at a time though. :)

Also, to have my kids fluent in at least 3-4 languages eventually, and for them to realize the importance of communicating with other people in their own languages and the importance of understanding other cultures through language.

Plus, I heard that university is free in Norway for anyone and everyone, so I think they will have to learn Norwegian. :D

Edited by Kerrie on 10 August 2014 at 9:58pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4926 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 28 of 111
10 August 2014 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Possible to do in the long run but very difficult to actually achieve? That would be speaking Ojibwe for me.

I can understand quite a bit of the Ojibwe that's spoken on the radio and I can also read a fair amount, at least from the written materials available to me. But speaking? For a lot of reasons, I just don't see it happening.

Regardless, I'm content with being able to understand more than I can (or get to) speak, at least for now.

R.
==

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3621 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 29 of 111
11 August 2014 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Least Hairy Goal: to be conversationally proficient in Spanish, Italian, Japanese, French and German by the time I'm 45 (I'm 27 now).

Hairy Goal: to pass the JLPT I test for Japanese (the hardest).

Hairiest Goal: to become a medical doctor, and pass the Japanese medical doctor license exam to practice in Japan.

Since the European languages are supposedly easier for a native English speaker, I don't consider them hairy, just time-consuming.

Languages on the "wouldn't it be nice if I had time" list include Irish, Ancient Greek, Old English, Latin, Basque, Korean and Hindi(or Urdu)

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 30 of 111
11 August 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
C1 active skills in anything is a bit of a pipe dream for me. I'd love to reach a level where I could consistently talk about most everyday subjects without really having to think about it, without having to pay a ton of attention just to avoid basic mistakes, and without needing significant time to "warm up". That sort of level always seems so near yet so far, especially without living in the country.

I suppose I was getting close in French before I stopped learning it: on a good day I could converse about many things without really thinking about it. But I was still far from any kind of consistency, and certain topics made me struggle. I might eventually get there in Italian, given the amount of effort I put in and the fact that I use it socially very regularly, but even at this rate it feels like it will take years.

My current long-term "hairy goal", one that I feel is possible but barely: reaching the level described above in Italian and Spanish, not losing my current semi-fluent but rusty French, and being able to get by (something like B1 active, B2 passive) in Greek.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3843 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 31 of 111
11 August 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I like these topics :D
Soooo, dreaming doesn't hurt anyone:
- English: A grade in Cambridge Proficiency
- Learn 10 languages at high level.
These languages can be
- English
- French
- Dutch
- German
- Russian
- Polish
- Arabic
- Mandarin
- Spanish
- Portuguese

Simply impossible.
Then I would like to "chew" some
- Swedish
- Romanian
- Persian
- Greek (modern)

and of course some obscure language like
- Icelandic
- Mongolian
- Turkish
- Macedonian
- Indonesian
- Burmese

(obscure from the point of view of a south European person, I know that those are not obscure at all).

Seriously speaking, if I can manage to learn English, French, Dutch, Spanish and German at a high level I will be
more than happy and proud of myself.

miertje
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 3865 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 32 of 111
11 August 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I like these topics as well :)
What is a hairy goal for me, probably wouldn't for a lot of you.. but here are mine.
- To speak (and be able to use) these 3 languages on a high (and comfortable level):
English, French, German
- Understand and be able to read Russian

As for the other languages I'm interested in, I don't really know what I want with them
yet, so no hairy goals yet for those.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 111 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version