21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4369 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 1 of 21
15 August 2014 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
This is how I use assimil during the passive wave.

I listen to the audio a couple of times when the book is closed.
Then I play the audio looking at the German and then play again looking at the English.
Then I go through the German and try to get my pronunciation as accurate as possible while following the audio.
Then I do the exercises and listen a few times more and try to understand what they are saying and follow along.

Am I supposed to actively try and remember the dialogues off by heart? Each time I go through the dialogue there
are words that I continuously forgot. For example 'Gehen wir heute abend ins Kino?' I keep forgetting that 'are we
going' is translated as 'Gehen wir' and I keep forgetting it or incorrectly translating it. Is it okay if I leave it? Should I
actively try and remember it? It seems as though I mixing up words and phrases too occasionally, will that stop over
time? Should I spend longer on each lesson or shall I just continue each lesson if I understand 90% of it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5359 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 21
15 August 2014 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
Looks like you are doing fine to me - mixing words and phrases is part of language
learning which is ironed out when you speak to natives (eventually!) - just keep
reviewing lessons you have already done as you go forward and you will be fine for the
second wave.

Remember it is meant to be 'Deutsch ohne Mühe'.
2 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4432 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 3 of 21
15 August 2014 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Keep in mind that it's the passive wave, so you're not supposed to be able to produce the
words and phrases yourself. You can move on if you get the general gist of the dialogue.
A lot of the stuff you're struggling with will be repeated over and over again in later
lessons and will gradually become second nature to you.

Edited by AlexTG on 15 August 2014 at 10:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5326 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 21
15 August 2014 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
My personal rule of thumb was to go through the recording 8–12 times, reading the L1 and L2 text, and eventually closing my eyes for some repetitions. I would declare the lesson "done" when I could read the French text with at least 90% comprehension and understand the audio with at least 80%.

Assimil is not designed in such a way that you'll remember all the vocabulary, and that's OK (even if it makes the active wave a bit more difficult). There's a core of vocabulary that they'll repeat from lesson to lesson to that they really want you to master. The other words are there simply because Assimil tries to use interesting, realistic texts to the greatest extent possible, and such texts will almost always contain some rare words.

In fact, Assimil is teaching a skill that will be very important when working with native materials: Take what you can get from a work, and move on.
8 persons have voted this message useful

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4369 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 

Message 5 of 21
16 August 2014 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Thankyou, it's made me feel a bit more relieved and I am completing Assimil 'correctly'.I think I will just keep
progressing with the lessons. Is it okay to do 2 lessons a day? I have a lot of free time to utilise over the next few
weeks.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5359 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 6 of 21
16 August 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I think it is better to go back and revise old lessons than do 2 new lessons a day.
Long experience has taught me that if one rushes through a language course, one learns
very little.

That is not to say looking ahead will hurt, just don't be too desperate to finish.

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4369 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 

Message 7 of 21
16 August 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I think it is better to go back and revise old lessons than do 2 new lessons a day.
Long experience has taught me that if one rushes through a language course, one learns
very little.

That is not to say looking ahead will hurt, just don't be too desperate to finish.

Thanks, I am not a very patient person so it's very hard. Hopefully if I keep going at a slow and steady pace and it
will pay off. Is there anything that I should also do whilst I am doing assimil?

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3539 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 8 of 21
30 August 2014 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
I usually listen a dialog 2 times, then read looking up new words 2-3 times or until I understand 90% of a
dialog, then listen again 1-2 times, then do exercises. I review dialogs of 7-10 previous lessons optional if I feel I
need to do that. I have all audio lessons in my phone so I listen to them sometimes while walking or driving.

Also I have found an interesting suggestion for me in old Spanish Without Toil

"If you are in a hurry, learn two lessons a day, by studying half an hour morning and evening, and in addition
reading over during your spare time."

So I do 2 lessons a day sometimes when I feel it will be better or more interesting than reviewing previous lessons.

Also I listen to Michel Thomas while walking but his students sometimes confuse everything and I have to listen
again to understand how to say it right. That's sometimes killing my desire to continue listening to MT. :-)

Edited by Enrico on 30 August 2014 at 2:15pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version