United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 73 of 80
02 October 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
As serpent has pointed out, I didn't have any specific meanings in mind when compiling the words on the list, The fact that words can be used in so many different ways is what adds so much power to a list like this.

As for comparable lists in other languages, I don't think translation is the way to go - although I'm not sure this was the idea here. This sort of list can be done for any language.

This is a good point. The utility of some words is because they are used in so many different ways. The words "faire" in French and "to do" in English are examples. When you include literal, figurative, colloquial and clever uses of various common words, their utility is multiplied by their flexibility.

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 74 of 80
02 October 2014 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I my opinion, if there's one thing that has come out of this raucous and sometimes poisonous debate is the question of what is exactly a word. When I look at the list given here, my own impression is that of slight disenchantment. Can one really count words? Does the figure 350 really reflect what is in there. I'm not so sure about that.

That's a good point. In some ways, one could count the word "orange" as more than one word because it has more than one meaning. It's a fruit, it's a color, it's a sporting team, it's a crayon, it's a smell, it's a website, it's a soda, it's a city, it's a company, and it's the new black.
5 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4855 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 75 of 80
03 October 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
In some ways, one could count the word "orange" as more than one word because it has more
than one meaning. It's a fruit, it's a color, it's a sporting team, it's a crayon, it's a smell, it's a website, it's a soda,
it's a city, it's a company, and it's the new black.

This is one of the reservations I have about the idea of intensively training the usage of a 3XX- word kernel.
Wouldn't it be better to study additional words in the 500-2000 range, rather than learning subtle peripheral
information about a core word, such as that orange is a sporting team, a city, a Dutch dynasty, and the new
black? The basic usage of a non-core word (e.g. "swipe") seems closer to the core of what one needs than the
above.

The basic idea of a kernel for speaking makes sense in that it's a rule of thumb for assigning a higher weight to
mastering high-frequency words/grammar, whereas you'd assign a higher weight to broad knowledge of low-
frequency words/grammar if the goal were reading comprehension. A word list is clearly not an optimal way of
concentrating study on highly useful language elements, but it might be more tractable than a list of all the core
bits of information, whether they're words, particular uses of words, sentence structures, or idioms.

I'd like to see more about how to use the kernel concept to concentrate study on elements that will be highly
useful for speaking. Without delving deeper into how it's used, it seems to carry the risk of leading learners to
waste time on obscure uses of core words. Have you ever tried to understand all the different ways of using the
word "set"? Mastery of this word seems essential for speaking good English, but it also has dozens of obscure
uses that don't form part of the core.

Edited by robarb on 03 October 2014 at 8:15am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 76 of 80
03 October 2014 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
luke wrote:
In some ways, one could count the word "orange" as more than one word because it has more
than one meaning. It's a fruit, it's a color, it's a sporting team, it's a crayon, it's a smell, it's a website, it's a soda,

This is one of the reservations I have about the idea of intensively training the usage of a 3XX- word kernel.
Wouldn't it be better to study additional words in the 500-2000 range, rather than learning subtle peripheral
information about a core word, such as that orange is a sporting team, a city, a Dutch dynasty, and the new
black? The basic usage of a non-core word (e.g. "swipe") seems closer to the core of what one needs than the
above.

That sounds like it should be true, but it depends how "peripheral" the meaning is. Secondary and tertiary uses of high frequency words are still more common than lower frequency words (again it depends how low "lower" is). This is especially true for function words, which might have a lot of functions. For example, the Hindi word लगना (lagnaa) is usually defined in textbooks at "to be fixed, applied" in the sense of sticking something to something else. However, it has loads of other uses, some of which may actually be used more often than the "core" meaning. I keep coming across it used as a type of auxiliary to mean "to begin doing something". Many of these uses would still appear in the top 500 words if they were counted separately. (I imagine it appears in Nepali in many guises as well?)

I would say that it is certainly useful to study alternative uses of words in the core of a language. The example of "orange" is a bad example, but to be fair it wasn't meant to be about core words. Luke gave the example in the context of exploring the definition of the word "word".
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 77 of 80
03 October 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
robarb wrote:
luke wrote:
In some ways, one could count the word "orange" as more
than one word because it has more

above.

That sounds like it should be true, but it depends how "peripheral" the meaning is. Secondary and tertiary uses
of high frequency words are still more common than lower frequency words (again it depends how low "lower"
is). This is especially true for function words, which might have a lot of functions. For example, the Hindi word
लगना (lagnaa) is usually defined in textbooks at "to be fixed, applied" in the sense of sticking something to
something else. However, it has loads of other uses, some of which may actually be used more often than the
"core" meaning. I keep coming across it used as a type of auxiliary to mean "to begin doing something". Many of
these uses would still appear in the top 500 words if they were counted separately. (I imagine it appears in
Nepali in many guises as well?)

I would say that it is certainly useful to study alternative uses of words in the core of a language. The example of
"orange" is a bad example, but to be fair it wasn't meant to be about core words. Luke gave the example in the
context of exploring the definition of the word "word".

I think everyone is basically right here. Although many of the words in the kernel have multiple meanings, I don't
think that the main use of the kernel idea is to systematically explore all the possible uses of specific words, I'm
thinking particularly of the connector words where some uses can be rather obscure, formal or literary.

In my thinking - and this evolving - the fundamental idea of the kernel is that it is a pool of word families that I
will likely encounter when speaking in a certain genre. Certain uses or meanings of individual words are more
frequent than others.

For example, I think a big mistake many people make is to systematically learn all the inflected forms of verbs.
Conjugation tables are very misleading and downright discouraging. You will never use half, if not two-thirds, of
those forms, especially in speaking. What you want to do is to concentrate on the forms that you do encounter
and that you are likely to use.

As I have said before, the utility of the kernel idea is to bring focus on essential high-frequency items that you
should feel comfortable using and that you can recall somewhat effortlessly. Intensive training of the kernel does
not mean learning all the uses of individual items. It means training to call up quickly and correctly the most
frequent uses.

This does not preclude learning all the other things that can be useful or interesting. I would also like to add that
for me an important side effect of this idea is to bring encouragement to speakers who can sometimes get
discouraged by the share volume of words to learn. I don't know if many readers feel this, but I often get the
impression that there is a never-ending stream of words, idioms, set phrases, meanings and cultural item to
learn.
Especially when one does not live in the language.

There is no end of things to learn, but, thank God, we do know that in all this vast world of words, a relatively
small number can take us very far. If we get good control of this small number, the others will basically fall into
place as we need them.

Edited by s_allard on 03 October 2014 at 3:14pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5562 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 78 of 80
03 October 2014 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
I dimly remember I asked for a useful definition of the concept "word" some time ago ...

... and by the way, obvious transfer meanings like the ones given as examples of "orange" aren't that much trouble. Either you have the cultural knowledge to know that crayons and other paints are referred to by their colour name (and, except for the basic ones, these are inferred from naturally occuring things), and so are sports teams and political parties - and you know which word stands for which party or team, or you don't. It's probably not going to help you with genre specific output unless your genre is paint colours, sports teams or political parties, and if it is you'll pick up that meaning soon enough.

Edited by Bao on 03 October 2014 at 11:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 79 of 80
03 October 2014 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
luke wrote:
It's a fruit, it's a color, it's a sporting team, it's a crayon, it's a smell, it's a
website, it's a soda, it's a city, it's a company, and it's the new black.

a Dutch dynasty

And the county of some housewives
who have their own T.V. show

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 80 of 80
03 October 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
This actually be a good point to look at the definition of a word that I use when talking about counting words. It's
pretty simple. I think in terms of dictionary headwords. All the inflected forms such verbs, plural forms of nouns,
different genders are lemmatized to one basic form. The number of meanings such as what one would fine in a
dictionary entry does not matter. This is why I have interchangeably used the words "word families" and "unique
words".

There are a number of problems with this definition. One is the fact that the same word form can be in different
functional categories. In English "down" can be a verb, an adjective, a noun and a preposition. Is it one word or
four different words?

In my list the adverb category tends to be quite short because I have deliberately excluded those adverbs that can
be simply derived from adjectives.

In my list here, I have counted as separate words things like "la" the article and "la" the pronoun.

The bigger problem in my opinion is how to count words in idioms. In my Barron's guide to Spanish idioms there
are 20 entries for the word cuenta. Most of these idioms have some vague connection with the main
definition of "account" or "count" but the overall meanings are not self-evident at all.

In English there is the particular problem of phrasal verbs like "come up" and "put down".

In my own counting, I disregard all this and look at the basic words in whatever context.

What this all means of course is that a figure like 300 unique words in reality represents a much larger figure of
different grammatical forms and units of meaning. That is the whole point. That's why 300 is not such a tiny
figure after all.

That's also why mastering 300 words is a lot more work than just memorizing a list of 300 words.

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version