Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5137 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 41 of 55
23 October 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Ah, the fabled and elusive flow state. But then I ask myself whether I really can say that I'm "fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity" (quote Wikipedia). Yesterday it struck me that I was doing wordlists in Serbian and later also Greek, while I was listening through the four symhonies of Brahms and watched TV with Danish subtitles. Not simultaneously, but in short time slices. For me that is also some kind of flow.

Coincidentally I've been going through Brahms's symphonies myself these last couple of days along with the deutsches Requiem and some overtures, from the Klemperer, Philharmonia set I just got. Absolutely fabulous, touching performances, I might add.

I would never interrupt them though to watch TV.
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4851 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 42 of 55
23 October 2014 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

I have heaps of printouts and dictionaries in all my languages, and even though I rarely do get through them all
in one day I'll generally do something in each written language once a week.

Does that mean a good portion of your hitting each language each week consists of rereading printouts of things
you've already read? That sounds like it would work well for relatively fast review of multiple languages (<20 min
each). Longer times could be reserved for new content, which maybe doesn't need to be done every week.

Iversen wrote:

And in Novi Sad I spoke (or wrote something) in about a dozen languages so that gave a very valuable boost to
my lamentably undernourished speaking skills.

So it clearly is possible to keep even 10-20 languages alive just by revisiting them regularly, but there are some
which pose problems because you have to search hard to find interesting materials.

I do believe it's possible for some people to maintain speaking skill in known languages over years of no practice.
There might be a period during reactivation where word/structure recall would be noticeably slowed, but if you
review often I don't think it would have to come out wrong or not at all. It might require some thinking as you
study to at least simulate active usage. I can't yet test whether it applies to 20 languages at C1-C2, but I have
personal experience that my languages will go from a fast B2 to a slow B2 with occasional searching for words if I
don't speak them for a year. Some people like to argue that maintaining many active languages is impossible, but
I didn't want to argue that here despite believing that to be false.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6495 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 55
24 October 2014 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
That's also my experience - I get slower because I have to ransack my memory for certain words, but passive skills aren't lost, and if I just get some time to fumble around I can also express myself in moderately rusty languages. The problem is that the occasion where I could have used one of these languages may then have ended - like when a possible conversation partner has moved on to another language (or even physically moved on).

I use some old printouts for refreshing languages, but also fairly new printouts which I just haven't used yet. Right now I'm eating my way through a number of printouts about paleontology in at least half a dozen languages, but I have plans to reread a number of excellent articles from the past (like a long one about the 'snowball Earth' hypothesis in Russian). And besides I can always refresh the vocabulary of a language by making a wordlist directly from a dictionary - but this activity obviously can't stand alone.

Edited by Iversen on 24 October 2014 at 10:40am

2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4922 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 44 of 55
24 October 2014 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:

I do believe it's possible for some people to maintain speaking skill in known languages over years of no practice.

I believe this also, but I believe that some "inner" practice is needed, too.

A long time ago - pre-internet for me, I read a story of a classical pianist that was imprisoned for 40 years. When he left the prison system, he was able to play as if he'd never stopped. He had mentioned that he mentally envisioned himself playing every day.

On the other hand (and still speaking musically), there are still certain pieces that I've not played since college (decades ago) and can still sit in front of a piano and play them. I'm inclined to chalk that up to the extreme practice schedule I had in college though. The times I've actually recently played something from my college days, it's full-on rote. I don't even have to think about what I'm playing.

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4741 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 45 of 55
24 October 2014 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
So, for discussion's sake: What if one were to "maintain" a language strictly by instantaneous output (talking, not even writing). And not reading or listening... would that maintain the language better than just passive review.

I ask because we all seem to agree, and multiple literature also, that active output decays faster than passive (which seems to decay at almost imperceptible speed at the higher levels of language). Would a strictly speech-oriented maintenance keep all the other abilities, PLUS speech, and thus be more effective?

I assume vocabulary size would take a hit however, since more and more one would rely on "staples" of our active vocabulary. But then if we were to go to an environment we needed that language, we could simply read and listen a bunch a week before, and because we had spoken the language all that time as maintenance, that skill would be tip-sharp. Any opinions?

3 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5137 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 46 of 55
24 October 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
The concern is not maintenance - a language that has been conscientiously self-taught will not fade from your memory with ease. There have been months where I have not had the opportunity to work on my Russian for instance, yet I can pick it up where I left it without the slightest difficulty. I can do this even in the case of Arabic or Hungarian, where I am nowhere near that level.

The issue is progressing from there to the kind of proficiency that goes beyond actual language study and can be more properly regarded as obtaining an education in it - and actually enjoy your new language by reading books that interest you. For this however there is quite simply no escaping the fact that it requires longer, more concentrated sessions than might have sufficed in previous stages, and this will in turn severely limit the number of languages that you can engage simultaneously with any sort of momentum.

I have been reading Wittgenstein's works in German -my first attempt at substantial books in this language- and as I read on I become more attuned to the syntax of the language and comprehension friction progressively dissipates. It would be a crime at this point to put down the book because my allotted time span has expired and I must pick up another language!
2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4741 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 47 of 55
24 October 2014 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Here is the problem I see with that: when you reach such a high level, to see any progress, even with full study as you suggest, is basically imperceptible. We all learn more in our native languages every day, but do we notice it every day? Absolutely not. We may notice we have a better vocabulary only years later. That's a long time.

So, how can you chart or even measure daily/weekly progress, or education as you put it, in an advanced enough language, when the gains are so slow? Let alone elaborating better methods to improve this process.

It's like trying to understand the changes from Latin to French/Spanish/Italian, by examining solely the writings of some longing aristocratic wife somewhere in Provence in the mid 700s (if such letters were found), and extrapolating from just that to improve a theory of language change. Dubious undertaking.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4851 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 48 of 55
24 October 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Juan wrote:

The issue is progressing from there to the kind of proficiency that goes beyond actual language study and can be
more properly regarded as obtaining an education in it - and actually enjoy your new language by reading books
that interest you. For this however there is quite simply no escaping the fact that it requires longer, more
concentrated sessions than might have sufficed in previous stages, and this will in turn severely limit the number
of languages that you can engage simultaneously with any sort of momentum.

I have been reading Wittgenstein's works in German -my first attempt at substantial books in this language- and
as I read on I become more attuned to the syntax of the language and comprehension friction progressively
dissipates. It would be a crime at this point to put down the book because my allotted time span has expired and
I must pick up another language!

If you disagree with the premise of this discussion, that's fine. Progressing from "advanced study" proficiency to
"full educated user" is a huge issue in language learning, but it's not the issue discussed on this thread. This
thread is to discuss specifically maintenance of a large number of languages. No one claims this is even desirable
for all polyglots, but there are enough of us to care about how to do it efficiently. The idea is to do the kind of
deep activities you mention in 1-5 languages at a time, while also maintaining another 15-25 at whatever level
they're at, in a short, efficient time-- specifically so that it doesn't disrupt the kind of deep activities you value so
highly. Some of the maintained languages will be used for deep activities later, some may be used only for lighter
activities such as travel. A language you speak well enough to support deep activities shouldn't need a lot of
review to maintain at that level-- it's the deep activities themselves that take the time. Something always has to
be sacrificed for time pressure, and there are people in this world who like language better than literature, who
want to become hyperpolyglots and would rather sacrifice the ability to engage deeply with all their languages all
the time, and avoid sacrificing the ability to maintain large numbers of languages ready to speak, listen and read
in at any time, even if those times are infrequent for some of those languages at some periods of the person's
life. Your values do not make this discussion pointless.

outcast wrote:

What if one were to "maintain" a language strictly by instantaneous output (talking, not even writing). And not
reading or listening... would that maintain the language better than just passive review.

I ask because we all seem to agree, and multiple literature also, that active output decays faster than passive
(which seems to decay at almost imperceptible speed at the higher levels of language). Would a strictly speech-
oriented maintenance keep all the other abilities, PLUS speech, and thus be more effective?

I assume vocabulary size would take a hit however, since more and more one would rely on "staples" of our active
vocabulary. But then if we were to go to an environment we needed that language, we could simply read and
listen a bunch a week before, and because we had spoken the language all that time as maintenance, that skill
would be tip-sharp. Any opinions?

I'm completely certain that 100% output practice would not be optimal. However, it's a fantastic idea, worth
investigating, that a high proportion of output practice might be better than the high proportion of input practice
that most people do. Personally, I value comprehension more than speech, so I've always tended to practice using
95+ % input activities and only a little bit of output. I bet output practice could be really effective at preventing
output decay, and with the proper mix, it wouldn't have much impact on the benefits of passive study.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version