Joined 4478 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 49 of 55
24 October 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
This
thread is to discuss specifically maintenance of a large number of languages. No one claims this is even desirable
for all polyglots, but there are enough of us to care about how to do it efficiently. The idea is to do the kind of
deep activities you mention in 1-5 languages at a time, while also maintaining another 15-25 at whatever level
they're at, in a short, efficient time-- specifically so that it doesn't disrupt the kind of deep activities you value so
highly. Some of the maintained languages will be used for deep activities later, some may be used only for lighter
activities such as travel. A language you speak well enough to support deep activities shouldn't need a lot of
review to maintain at that level-- it's the deep activities themselves that take the time.

So what you want to do is maintain a number of languages (so that they do not deteriorate much), while perhaps actively
working on some other languages?

In that case you need to measure (somehow) the amount of time that you need to spend maintaining a single language per unit
of time. So if you found, for example, that you needed to spend one hour per week to keep a language topped up, then if you
have 10 hours per week of "language time" then you can maintain at most 10 languages.

Perhaps you can measure the required maintenance time by picking a suitable activity for a specific language(reading,
speaking, watching the news) and measuring your ability now. Then restrict yourself to say one hour working on that language
per week (or per month) and reassess yourself after two or three months.

Repeat with longer intervals or less maintenance until you notice a measurable drop in performance. Now reverse the process
and build up that language again with maintenance and measure how long it takes to get back to where you were.

Now you have an idea of how much you can neglect a language for a given amount of deterioration.

Living in the UK, I've never had a day when I've not used English. I have had plenty of time when I've only used Italian
sporadically (a few times a week maybe) but I've never turned on RAI and not known what was going on. Since starting on
Japanese (over 2-1/2 years now) I've done no active work with French, but I still see posts in French on FB and twitter and
I'm not having much trouble with them. My French was probably only B1 (reading) anyway, but, it doesn't feel that it'll have
gone away significantly before I get a chance to refresh it in a year or two. Of course, I may be eating my words when I
actually next pick up a French novel!

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4520 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 50 of 55
24 October 2014 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Honestly, I think people here read too much into the exact numbers. I think what we
qualify as necessary levels and what we need is so variant and dependent on each
person's personal situation and preferences that it's hard to draw an exact line. I
try not to be obsessed with the number of languages that I speak (and I hate answering
that question anyway - when someone asks me it I answer evasively). For me, the idea
of being a hyperpolyglot is simply to speak many languages to whatever level that
happens to be required at a certain time. This means that many of my languages are in
a constant state of flux. Because hyperpolyglottery made it onto my agenda not too
long ago, some languages have really fluxed in their usage. Whether I speak 6 or 10 or
20 languages isn't really an issue here; you could say that I speak 7, or 8 if you
include Afrikaans (which I understand but I'd usually just respond in Dutch), and in
that case we're going by the basic fluency criterion, but there's plenty I can do in
other languages that I don't fulfill the criteria for. Does that mean I speak
Hebrew/Portuguese/Greek/Chinese/Breton? Maybe. Maybe not. But the exact number and the
maintenance is so dependent on circumstance that I can't really plan for every
eventuality.

I don't see diminishing returns as that big of a threat. I cannot read all the books
in the world anyway, and I'll happily skimp a bit on some languages in order just to
read for fun. It's nice to have skills that run the full gamut of possibilities, but
it's very rare even for bilinguals to have that ability, and in my case the only
reason it exists is because English has played such a big role in my formative years.

Basically I choose what to maintain based on my life at the time and especially my
social contacts and career plans. Right now, this implies Chinese and later Greek.
There are certain languages I can't do without: Dutch, English, Russian and maybe
French have played too big a role in my life to forget them. I still speak Swedish
regularly with a few people and read novels in it for fun, but it's not my best
language (especially pronunciation-wise). Why don't I maintain German so much? Because
I don't use it that often in my life except the one or two times a year I visit
Germany. I can read German novels without too much trouble, I know that, but it's how
it is. Some languages suffer and it's also because your ties to them are not as big.

For example, I've recently started writing a series of articles on my trip to Romania
(and am doing it in Romanian) and one of the reasons is to maintain that language,
because I don't practice it very often here, even though my level is above basic
fluency and I certainly speak fairly good Romanian. How do I maintain this? I don't do
much, but at a certain point this language may crop up as important again and then I
will have to reactivate it (not hard with a language you speak well in the first
place).

To be honest, certain languages that I have studied I never could see myself study in
the first place. I didn't know much about Romanian at all until I started dating a
Romanian girl and learned some things. In those days I might have picked Chinese or
Greek or Russian or whatever, but never Romanian. I stumbled upon it by chance and lo!
and behold I have come into a situation where it's one of my preferred languages and I
can use it well. And some languages that I would love to speak well such as Icelandic
I've never gotten round to doing properly, because I've just never put in the time or
effort (even though I have been to Iceland and spoken to Icelanders).

So what do you maintain? I maintain based on my life. I don't pick places to go so I
can study the language. I live my life and the languages that crop up as necessary are
the ones I learn. This is why Greek is so nice to have for me - it's a language I can
always find a use for because my best friend is half Greek. Learning Greek is always
useful if you can tap into a social circle if you feel the need to. But do I put a
particular focus on a level? No.

For me, the enjoyment of literature as Juan alluded to is but one of many pursuits. I
prefer rock and metal music to classical and many of the bands that play in that genre
are Scandinavians, so it's much more interesting for me to speak Swedish than Swahili.

Does it mean that I will keep those languages around forever? No, maybe not. We change
as people, our priorities change. Maybe one day I will get bored of polyglottery and
go do something else entirely, who knows. But even in that case, I will probably
remain multilingual because it's become part of my identity and part of who I am. I
don't let my languages decide what I do, I decide what to do with my life and
currently languages play a big role in that, but more due to pure circumstance than
due to intent.

10 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 51 of 55
25 October 2014 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Pretty much the same for me. I tend to think of the "long-term me" when choosing my languages though, and I don't see myself dropping any. I don't tend to focus on a single language for a specific period of time so for me it's just a matter of making each language a part of my lifestyle and having regular contact with them all.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6395 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 52 of 55
27 October 2014 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
I'm just the opposite. I rarely spontaneously find opportunities to use any languages
besides Swedish, English and Cantonese (because my girlfriend is Cantonese). I actively
work to use my languages, forgoing things I'd otherwise like to do. I try to find books
to read in other languages (which is always much more difficult than finding books in
English), TV series to watch (even though American TV series are usually better), etc. I
choose one language at a time (so far) and focus on it, temporarily letting my other
languages sit, until I reach a certain level. Finding ways to use my languages is the
most difficult part of language learning for me, but it's definitely worth it, since I
love learning them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5243 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 53 of 55
28 October 2014 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
While thinking about this question of optimal language maintenance strategies, I decided to look at the issue in
terms of pure vocabulary numbers. Although I'm not a fan of counting words in general, I recognize that many
people here are, and vocabulary size can serve as a rough proxy of proficiency.

Let's say for sake of argument that most languages require a base receptive vocabulary of 5,000 word families
for something like C1 proficiency. I'll skip the various controversies of what is a word, idioms and how to
distinguish the lexicon from vocabulary. By the way, this figure of 5,000 is probably on the very low side. I've
seen figures for French or English closer to 10,000 or even 20,000.

To maintain a receptive knowledge of 5,000 words in my preferred language, Spanish, I have to read or hear
them at some regular interval. Let's say that I want to cycle through all my Spanish in the course of a year or I will
start to forget some.

So far things seem pretty simple. All I have to do is maybe read a newspaper article or listen to a podcast
everyday. But it's more complicated than that. First of all, we know that around 500 words represent about 70%
of all written language and probably more in spoken speech. Which means that the remaining 4500 words of my
vocabulary will have to be found in the 30% of my input. I therefore need a wide enough variety of materials to
cover all this vocabulary.

Here's the problem. Do I maintain the vocabulary by using the same materials I used to acquire the vocabulary in
the first place and benefit from the repetition? Or do I use new materials, such as newspaper articles, with lots of
interesting and current content but with the risk of not seeing all my current words and having to learn new
words all the time?

If we're really talking about true maintenance, i.e. retain what we already know, the first strategy would seem to
be the way to go. I already have all the materials, so all I have to do is start at one end and work my way through
material that should be familiar, then start over again.

Is this what we are really talking about?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6516 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 54 of 55
28 October 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
It is certainly a relevant angle. The 'unique glossary density' of my log files was a a level where you probably should read about 50.000 words to see 5000 different headwords. Some authors (and some rap artists!) have a higher density, many have a lower one - and conversations would almost certainly lie lower so that you would need more than 50.000 words to hit upon 5.000 unique headwords. It would take quite some time to listen to so many words! And 50.000 words in print would fill a whole book. But at least it is feasible to get through that amount of printed text - whereas by listening, well...

There is however another factor which must be taken into account, namely the number of repetitions of each word. Frequency tables are irrelevant here because truly rare vocabulary is distributed very unevenly. An author who has used the word "rambunctious" in a book once is likely to use it later in the same book, and there are without doubt other novels which don't ever mention it. And I know with 100% certainty that the word "Ediacara" is more common in my log than in the collected works of Shakespeare. So to get repetition it is worth reading at least some big fat books where you get enough repetition of at least some of the rare and precious words.

But even in a discussion about the outer limits of a person's vocabulary it is also worth pointing out that you cannot just count words - your practical skills depend more on knowing the uses of the small and very common words than on knowing a few hundred bird names more.

Edited by Iversen on 28 October 2014 at 5:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6395 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 55 of 55
29 October 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
I've realized that one reason why I find less time to new languages is that I'm not
content with maintaining my current languages. I constantly want to study more. My best
foreign language (at least passively) is French, and I still find myself seeking out new
words, or wanting to work on a difficult passage. I'm currently itching to start working
intensively on some of the dialog of "Maison Close" because I find it hard to follow. I
find it hard to just consider a language "finished" and not study it anymore, just trying
to maintain it, unless it's at C2. With more languages, this will of course decrese the
amount of time availible for acquiring new ones. I find it very difficult to come across
an unknown word and not look it up and add it to Anki.

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version