United States
Joined 3478 days ago

5 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Irish, French

Message 57 of 63
17 December 2014 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I think the main mistake was making the cards too complicated. If a verb has 32 uses, pick about five and make separate cards for them, with example sentences preferably. The sentence cards should ideally be easy enough that it takes less effort to remember the word than to associate it with the shapes etc. It also helps to choose such short sentences that there's no noticeable shape.

When I was referring to the shape, I was actually talking about my vocab cards, which were just one word on the back in the target language and every possible definition on the front along with part of speech. I do think that my main issue was the overwhelming amount of information, and maybe breaking it up would have helped, but I think that as you say, example sentences are needed.

When I switched to sentences, I did however run into the issue that Ari mentioned, of recognizing the sentence, rather than knowing the meaning of the word to be learned. It bothered me at the time because I was just memorizing the sentence. In retrospect though, I believe that it's good to know a word in context, as it gives me a frame of reference when I run into that word again in some other text. Also, with vocabulary cards, in my experience I lost my memorized lists of possible definitions rather quickly after I gave up on my deck (my boyfriend also ran into the same problem), but the sentences stick with you for quite a long time. I can still recite many of the sentences from my sentence decks from memory, though it's been nearly 3 years since I stopped using them.

I agree also that the sentences I learn from are easier to remember when they are taken from something that I personally find interesting, but I think it's only because I am more willing to study them. For instance, though I used a pre-made sentence deck initially that used the smart.fm sentences, I later made my paragraph-like sentence cards from a manga that I really enjoyed. Though I might've received a more well-rounded vocabulary from the smart.fm deck, the sentences and words I learned from the manga deck are the ones that I studied more habitually, and therefore the ones I know best. I also could picture certain scenes from the manga when I read the cards, which just added one more level of depth to the memory and maybe made it more permanent. Also, I might add that the sentences that contained a new word were couched between at least two other sentences for added context. Those sentences often were included in other cards, because they also contained words I didn't know, so there was no way to skim the text and guess based on the shape of the paragraph, as I had to know the word that was highlighted. In that way, it was basically just a reading exercise.

Anyway, I think the most efficient study methods are those that keep you wanting to study everyday. I feel that what works best for me is just reading, listening and reciting material repeatedly. If every day I had just read the same chapter of that manga and looked up the words that continued to give me trouble, then moved onto another when that chapter was mastered (maybe re-reading it every month or so to refresh), then I think I would've achieved the same thing in a shorter time. No time wasted on making a deck, and no enthusiasm squelched by encountering a daunting number of reviews each morning. Just pick up a text I'm interested in and go : )
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 58 of 63
07 January 2015 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Can this thread be unstickied? The challenge ended ages ago.
(in general it would be great to have a central or yearly 6WC thread instead of a new thread every 12 weeks or so. although I also understand the desire for a fresh start)
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3845 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 59 of 63
11 March 2015 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Dear moderators,
   can you please unstick this thread?

Thanks in advance,
   Tristano
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 60 of 63
24 June 2015 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Just reminding. There are WAY too many sticky threads in this subforum :/

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3845 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 61 of 63
31 July 2015 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
This thread is 10 months old oO
Guys?

Edited by tristano on 31 July 2015 at 8:19am

Rozzie
United States
Joined 3210 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 62 of 63
08 September 2015 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
This thread is 10 months old oO
Guys?

So what's your point?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 63 of 63
08 September 2015 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
That it's still sticky...

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version