Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 1 of 12
29 October 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Can anyone recommend an interesting TV series with Korean audio and subs available in both English and Korean? I just read the post over at learnlangs and have been following emk's log, and i'd like to try my own experiment in it. Here in China Korean seems to be a pretty popular language to study and everyone seems to know at least some basic phrases, similar to the status of Spanish in the US, so i thought Korean would be a nice choice.

I've found quite a few Korean shows available with English subs, but i haven't had much success finding Korean subtitles to those shows. Honestly i prefer cartoons as i think the audio tends to be clearer, but i won't be picky this time around. I don't really care if it's an original Korean show or dubbed, just as long as it's got the bilingual subs.

Thanks!
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 12
29 October 2014 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
This is the same problem I'm having with Mandarin. You can try http://www.viki.com/ but although they have Korean TV, they don't have the subs in Korean (mostly). However you can download the subs that are available with http://vikisubtitle.com/index.php

Good Luck
3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 3 of 12
30 October 2014 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Viki.com and vikisubtitle.com are both great resources, i'll be prowling them today to see what i can come up with, thanks for both of those rdearman!

Bao mentioned a few places that i thought i'd share here. For subtitles, in addition to viki.com, they mentioned:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/subtitles.php#Korean

It seems like subtitles are maybe not a huge thing in Korean, but there are a few places where you can find (untimed) transcripts of shows. Taking the English subtitles as a base, you could possibly make your own subtitles from the transcripts or simply add in the Korean text as you go through the deck. Here are some of the places to find transcripts that they mentioned:
http://mykoreancorner.wordpress.com/korean-study-materials/k -drama-scriptstranscripts-audio-files/
http://www.dramabeans.com/about/kdrama-scripts/
http://www.koreanfluency.com/korean-drama-scripts/ (not free)

The last thing they suggested was going through at least the first level at Talk to me in Korean. I've also started skimming through the Learn to Read, Write, and Pronounce Korean guide on learnlangs.com.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5334 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 4 of 12
01 November 2014 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
That's one of the reasons I think I've found variety shows so useful in Korean. They tend
to put so much text on the screen anyway (which is often, but not always, what is being
said) that having an English subbed version of a variety show is often nearly the same as
having a bilingual subtitled copy (unless they are hard-subbed since many subbers are
bad to put those subtitles *over* the Korean text rather than above or below it).

My primary recommendation for a subbed variety show would have been Running Man,
but the site that was doing those has been down forever now. However, KBS World has a
YouTube channel and they post several KBS variety shows there (along with comedy
shows, dramas, sitcoms, etc.) complete with English subtitles, so that's still a good
option for shows on KBS.
https://www.youtube.com/user/kbsworld

Edited by Warp3 on 01 November 2014 at 2:08pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4965 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 5 of 12
03 November 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
You can get both subtitles and then use Subtitle Merger and create your own set of
bilingual subtitles.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 6 of 12
04 November 2014 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
I want to use subs2srs to make Anki decks out of them. Having hard subs in a Korean show is better than nothing, but soft subs really would be ideal. Thanks for the link to the KBS Youtube channel, i'll definitely check it out, but what i really want now is something i can feed into subs2srs. Finding Korean shows isn't too much of an issue, the biggest hurdle now (with 0 Korean knowledge) is finding subtitles to go with those shows.

Would anyone happen to know where to find Korean subtitles to the Nickelodeon show "Avatar"? Or what is the Korean word for subtitles? I've looked in online dictionaries and there have been several entries.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5334 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 7 of 12
05 November 2014 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
자막 is the word I see used most frequently for subtitles.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 8 of 12
05 November 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Thanks, it seems like there aren't any matching subtitles, which is a real bummer. The Korean dramas i've looked at all seem a bit complicated, but i guess i'll have to pick one of those and just see what i can do. Thanks for your help everyone!

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version