Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6380 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 1 of 31
23 November 2014 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I've been thinking about logging the time I spend on different kinds on learning activities, like Anki, watching TV, reading, shadowing, etc. I'd want to get an overview of how I spend my learning time and how much learning time I can cram into each day. Has anyone done this? What are some good methods? Preferably I'd like a good app (iOS) to help me. Anyone got any tips? I'm under the impression that people do stuff like this for the various challenges I see around this place (I've never participated myself), so presumably there are people with experience here.

EDIT: I'm using a meditation app called Insight Timer which gives me badges and milestones and it's amazing how such a small amount of gamification makes me sit down for a meditation session even when I don't feel like it, just because I don't want to break my "30 days with a session" streak. Stuff like that would be great.

Edited by Ari on 23 November 2014 at 7:03pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

ladybenko
Triglot
Spain
ladybenko.net
Joined 3484 days ago

9 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Catalan, Spanish*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 31
24 November 2014 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I'm doing the November 6 weeks challenge and there's a Twitter bot you tweet at to track
your study time.

I'm finding it very helpful (for instance, I do flashcards when I'm in the street –queues,
bus, etc.–) and it's very convenient to just tweet something like "7 mins #japanese #anki"
and have it logged.

Then there's a website where you can see your stats and how much time you have spent
on each activity, or per day.

I wish this bot were enabled permanently and not just during the 6 weeks challenges…

1 person has voted this message useful

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3623 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 3 of 31
24 November 2014 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
What's wrong with a pen and paper and a clock? That's how geniuses did it before the twentieth century.
5 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4928 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 31
24 November 2014 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
I can't give a specific iOS app recommendation, but I van recommend a type of app that should help - a general purpose database app.

I use an app called Memento on android that I really like. It allows me to set up a database with pretty much any type of field and create forms for data entry. Once I have a populated database, I can create all sorts of graphs and reports based on whatever search criteria I give it. Initial setup took some time and learning, but it's become a handy tool.

I would guess there's something similar for iOS.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5680 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 5 of 31
24 November 2014 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
I keep the math simple by trying to do things in 15 minute blocks. If that's not feasible, I'll combine things. For example, if I only spend 3 minutes doing reps in Anki (because I might only have 25 cards to do), then I'll do 12 minutes of something else to give me 15 minutes (usually typing up sentences or editing audio to make more cards - I count the time because I'm still reviewing the material).

I'm pretty strict with the timing. I always round down so if I've been doing something for 22 minutes, it still just counts as 15 until I hit minute 30. I generally just rely on a clock to keep track of time.

I have a notebook I use to write entries. They'll look something like "11/23: Japanese: SRS X Subs2SRS XX I.Listening XX Grammar X" where each X represents 15 minutes.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 31
24 November 2014 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
I like RescueTime though I don't use it anymore.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 31
24 November 2014 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
I love the 6wc bot. It is awesome to see my disbalances during the 6wc, it is really a
good signal "Hey, you've been neglecting this or that" for me.

Apart from the 6wc, I tried paper and pen. It worked but only for a short while
because it was annoying to log and count everything so I might renew the habit if an
easy app was available (thanks for the tips in this thread).

What I found not to work for me for this kind of logging:
-As sabotai makes the 15 minutes blocks, I tried pomodoro. It is awesome for some uses
but for this, I couldn't keep going.
-HabitRPG. Again, awesome for some things but I couldn't keep going for more than a
few weeks. I obviously need some external "rules". "PUt in as much as you can", the
only rule of 6wc, is better for me than my own daily goals.
-paper and pen. Too much time, I need to do all the math alone. And I'm afraid I need
the competition, even though in my case it is not about the top places, it is more
about "Skip those two people during the weekend and keep on the spot for a week" sort
of thing.

I wonder. Perhaps an excel file could work nicely for that. You could put in the table
anything you want and excel could do the counts for you. I might try that (as soon as
I get my computer in a better shape and finally make those legally bought MS Office
work)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4381 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 8 of 31
24 November 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi has a tracking spreadsheet downloadable from her blog (here) which I have always admired from a distance, but never been disciplined to use myself.

I tried Rescuetime for a while but found it didn't really work for me because I could only use it on my personal computer and not my work one.

I would love something like the 6WC bot which could be used all year round, as for some reason I find it much easier to tweet when I've done something than to log it on a spreadsheet. I guess it's because I can access Twitter no matter which device I am using, which isn't the same for modifying a spreadsheet.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version