Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4977 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 73 of 86
11 February 2015 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Looks great! Is this the new edition, completely different?
1 person has voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 74 of 86
11 February 2015 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Looks great! Is this the new edition, completely different?

I'm not familiar with other editions but this was published in 2013, the most recent one.
2 persons have voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 75 of 86
15 February 2015 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
French;
Doing a fair bit of translation on Duolingo. Although I finished the tree I didn't do any review really so am at a
reasonably low level xp-wise. I admit my goal is to increase my visible level, and if my French improves that is a
nice side product!

Need to catch up on my MOOCs, been way too lazy lying around watching the cricket today.

French/Indonesian:
I have never really used Memrise because my mind just wanders for some reason.   But I signed up for their February
challenge to do 20,000 points a day in one course for 12 days. I'm doing an "Advanced French Phrases" one and two
Indonesian vocab ones. Day three and going pretty good, the iPhone app is much better to use than the website IMO
so I'm doing them mostly on that.

Did Latihan 1 (Lesson 1) in Assimil L'indonesien. I'm taking my time and writing every out in French and Indonesian
so I don't think I'll be doing one a day but hopefully a few per week.   So far I'm very happy with it. All the French at
this basic stage is easy for me but I assume it will get harder.

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 76 of 86
17 February 2015 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
The Memrise challenge is going well except I think the Advanced French thing was a
mistake since there are a lot very obscure words (I know, I know it says Advanced but
obscure even for that). I'm not super motivated to learn that 'le panicaut' are
'thistlelike flower heads' so this deck is a bit of a chore. I'm stubborn enough to
want to get my 12 day streak and 'win' the challenge though so I persevere. I'm also
doing a "Reading French Newspapers' deck it's much better, challenging and a lot of
new stuff for me but much more in the realms of useful.

The Indonesian decks are particularly good, this is the kind of brute force kickstart
I need after a fairly sleepy first six weeks on Indonesian.

Oh, and (I don't think I've mentioned this) I've started Danish on Duolingo. It's
sort of an experiment to see how far along I can get only using Duo and no other
resources and only the reading - with the listening and speaking exercises turned off.
I'm enjoying it so far and restricting it to Duolingo means I'm not tempted to let it
bite into time on my 'main' two languages.     

fortheo
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 77 of 86
18 February 2015 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
I've used memrise before. and it definitely can feel like a chore, but every once in a while you will find a
deck that seems like it was made for you.

Keep up the good work!

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 78 of 86
08 March 2015 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
During the great maintenance apocalypse I sort of got out of my HTLAL daily habit but
I'm picking it up again!

Hit Level 25 (the highest) for French on Duolingo. Once you get to translation tier
four in Immersion you can really rack up the points quickly (5xp for each word
checked, 1xp for each word translated) so it was quite easy to go from about level 17
to level 25. They've added new units to the French course which I had finished so I'm
going to go back and do those.

I brought my Assimil L'indonesien and workbook to work and I plan to try and do it at
lunch times.

This week I'm starting a class Tuesdays and Thursdays at Alliance Francaise. After a
year of self-study/iTalki classes I'm very interested to see how I go back in a group,
and how I compare. Base don the online test they put me in A2.4, the last stage before
B1 which seems fair but I'm very curious to see what level every one is at. I'm also
thinking about how to change my study habits to accomodate the fact I'm doing this
class 4 hours a week - like, I think I'm just going to concentrate on Glossika,
Memrise and a bit of Duo daily, and drop a lot of the reading I'm doing in order to
just concentrate on the class material.

I didn't end up completing the 12 day streak in the Memrise challenge but it doesn't
matter since it was what I needed to inspire me to actually use Memrise on a regular
basis which is not perfect but useful.

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 79 of 86
11 March 2015 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
I was rather nervous/curious before my Alliance Francaise class because I had zero
idea how I would compare to the others, having not done any group classes for more
than a year. But it turned out to be the perfect level for me. My accent is crap but
I thought it compared quite favourably to the others (all but one had done the
previous AF course that finished last week), as did my vocab. I was a bit shown up on
the grammar because it happened to be relative pronouns which is my NEMESIS, can never
keep qui/que/a qui straight. However I think any other grammar points for this level
I would have been fine.

So that was good. I like the teacher and I was wondering who she reminded me of the
whole lesson – and I finally realised it was Norman that guy that does the funny
French youtube videos. After that I couldn’t stop hearing Norman when she spoke,
maybe they come from the same part of France. Anyway, she was good.

In addition to les devoirs, she said she would give us a writing exercise every week
which was not obligatory but would be a good exercise. The first one is to write a
magazine article thing about friendship – based on the topic in the first unit of the
textbook, Alter Ego 2.    I think I’ll treat it like my own personal output challenge
and really put in some effort since I can’t remember the last time I wrote more than
two sentences of French back to back.     

Since the classes are Tuesday and Thursday though I have a short time before tomorrow
night to knock it off.

Edited by redflag on 11 March 2015 at 1:40am

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 80 of 86
12 March 2015 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Mes devoirs:

C'était Harry Truman qui dit: "Si vous voulait un ami de Washington, achetez-vous un
chien."

Quelquefois tout le monde se sent le même que le président. La amitié vraie, c'est
n'existe pas. Mais en même temps, dans la monde virtuel, nous avons plus d'amis que
jamais.

Est-ce que l'amitié exactement?

Selon la dictionnaire l'amitié est une sentiment d'affection entre deux personnes ou
le attachement, sympathie qu'une personne témoigne à une autre

Il existe différents degrés de l'amitié.

Qu'est-ce qu'un vrai ami? On peut dire c'est un(e) confident(e) qu'on révèle nos
chaque pensées. Quelqu'un qui nous faisons confidence absolument. En plus, une amite
complicite souvent existe entre frères et soeurs.

Les amis virtuel est le un sujet à controverse. Les amis qui nous connaissons
seulement sur les réseaux sociaux. Beaucoup des personnes rapportent que ces amis
sont très importantes. D'autre part, ils ne sont pas proche quand on les avons besoin.

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version