Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 81 of 86
12 March 2015 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
The writing exercise is a really useful thing and I am glad you find your classes good.
Alter Ego is among the best class aimed courses, even though I found there a few bugs
typical of such courses anyways. Such courses are, in my opinion, meant to require
supplements = more money spent in the bookshop. If you've got a good teacher, it might
work nicely. How many students are in the group, if I may be so curious? :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 82 of 86
12 March 2015 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Hi Cavesa. Five students so far although I'm told they don't run them without at least 6 so maybe another one at
least will show up next week.

As of the second lesson, I am revising up my rating of my own accent in comparison (fraught, to rate yourself I
know), I think I'm better than all of them and sound more natural when I speak - I put this down to all the one on
one iTalki exposure to natives.

It's fine and at least the Facebook-based exercise in the first chapter was up to date and realistic. Anything to do
with current technology or culture is often embarrassingly out of date. I taught ESL for years so am very aware a lot
of these books are less than perfect.   The other book set I've been using is Connexions 1 and 2 in my Skype class
and I think Alter Ego is better than that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 83 of 86
13 March 2015 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I remember Connexions, I used to use the 2 and 3. I never liked it. I found most of
the common classroom aimed course mistakes there. But still better than Panorama that had
been popular before Connexions. Alter Ego is better and, probably the best thing about
it, the series aims to give you the base from 0 up to C1.

Well, perhaps the sixth will not show up in the end and the school won't find the heart
to send five people (and five wallets) away :-) Usually the fewer the better.

Yeah, those "modern techonology" chapters tend to be hilarious.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5287 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 84 of 86
14 March 2015 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
Hi redflag,

Good work on joining up with AF! I'm sure you will get some benefit from it. Although I
did it for a semester and mostly got annoyed, and yearned for more independent learning
again with materials of my choice (the pull back to my courses grew ever stronger), I did
get something out of it- more exposure to French (listening, speaking)! It will help I'm
sure, good luck with it!

PM

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 85 of 86
10 June 2015 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
I AM BACK. I'm sure everyone's been really holding their breathe. Life stuff knocked me
off my language learning for a while - maybe for the best. Re-starting this weekend. :-)

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5287 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 86 of 86
25 August 2015 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Hi redflag,

I haven't seen you on the .org site, are you still out there learning French somewhere?

PM

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version