Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5061 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 25 of 27
15 April 2015 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Speakeasy, your work on this has been exemplary and admirable. It really points out the many problems inherent in getting projects like this done. People think it will be easy but, as your odyssey has shown, it is fraught with frustration.

If the EIL courses could be posted online for free and legal download, ironically, they would probably be used more than they ever were in their heyday by language-learners, not just in North America but all over the world. What a legacy to leave! The courses were designed to help people learn languages and free availability would give them a second, perhaps greater life.

You've fought the good fight. You've led the horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Thanks for your hard work!

Edited by iguanamon on 15 April 2015 at 3:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 26 of 27
30 April 2015 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
UPDATE
I received the following Email from Mr. Fantini a few moments ago:

Dear (my name removed):

Thank you for your suggestions of sites where I might post the EIL language series. I am familiar with both FSI and ERIC but not the Indiana University Center. I will investigate each one in the near future, as time permits.

With best wishes,
Alvino
UNQUOTE

COMMENT
In my previous Email to Mr. Fantini, I suggested that the Indiana University, Center For Language Technology, Recorded Materials Library (Celtie) might represent a viable alternative for archiving the 32 legacy E.I.L. Courses. I also provided a link to the Celtie website. If Mr. Alvino were to choose this particular option, as language enthusiasts, we would all win.

Go Habs go ... ya, sure!

PS TO IGUANAMON:
Thank you for your encouragement, particularly as I am a born sceptic and pessimist. Quite naturally, given my depressing outlook, "life" has proved me right. I have yet to understand how this same "life" can prove born optimists that they're right, too.

Edited by Speakeasy on 30 April 2015 at 2:44am

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 27 of 27
06 October 2015 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
UPDATE
Undaunted, I have revived this project under a separate discussion thread on the "new" HTLAL: New HTLAL: E.I.L. Language Courses Project.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version