Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 17 of 36
23 December 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
I get the impression that the opposition is not input (passive) vs output (active) but informal learning
vs formal study. Informal learning is made up of both passive and active components. Formal study
tends to be very passive. I don't think anybody believes that just listening to thousands of hours of
comprehensible input automatically makes you into a great speaker. The same goes for reading and
writing. Massive reading helps but does not turn you into a good writer.

What input does is provide you with the linguistic resources to then produce output. Actual production
depends on a number of other factors. Good corrective feedback is very important for pronunciation
and grammar particularly. Living and studying in the language is probably the best thing one can do.
Everyday activities such as going to the store become input/output learning activities. It's not
surprising that true immersion is so effective.

The big problem of most language learners like us is the lack of opportunities to use the language for
real. We have to make do with input such as books, movies, internet and formal study. This is not
usually very effective in terms of active skills such a writing and speaking.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 36
24 December 2014 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Well, you don't need anyone else for majority of the feedback. A key to exercises and
your ears can do large part of the work. Active skills can be immensely improved and
even built from scratch just from self-teaching, especially thanks to the input such
as books, movies etc. I dare say learning a language to high level was nearly
impossible before internet with all those easily accessible input sources.

Many people fail without teachers but many fail with them, many fail outside of the
language's country and many fail while living in it. The commonly praised approach on
htlal is not just a poor substitution for living in the country. It is a longer and
tricky way which can, however, in the end function just as well. It is a huge
compliment when natives ask for how long did I live in France but it is not that
uncommon. I may not speak like a native but, obviously, my tv series, grammar books,
fiction books and movies did just as good job as immersion does for many others.

The root of the trouble, in my opinion, lies elsewhere. No formal/informal,
active/passive etc. It is the pure laziness to leave your comfort zone. Thousands of
hours of listening will help you immensely on your way to become a great speaker and
if I was to bet on one learner 1:has listened to thousands of hours of input 2:has
studied with a tutor, got lots of feedback, but doesn't listen much, I would always
bet on the first one to speak better.

The trouble with most people using input as their main "learning" method is that
they've actually stopped learning. Vast majority of them these days are people with
some basics of English gathered at school, who are now devouring the american tv
series, playing computer games, listening to music in English and doing all this stuff
that should be immensely helpful. But for some reason, it is not. Those people are
stuck, their speaking or writing doesn't improve anymore.

I think the trouble is not "lack of feedback" by someone else or anything like that.
It is not that the activities they're doing are passive. What is trully passive is
their approach.

Those people have tons of input but they do not challenge themselves with more and
more difficult kinds of input, they do just get through the content but do not use the
opportunity to trully think in the language, to talk to themselves, actively study
anything on the side and so on. They are not critical of themselves when occassionaly
speaking or writing, they are content with their abilities no matter how far from
perfection those happen to be. They are stuck.

I am just one of the many exemples that you can get good pronunciation without getting
feedback from someone else (my Berlin experience described in detail in one of my
logs), hundreds of hours of input made me a very good speaker by themselves, I'm daily
using words or even grammar I've only met in the fun input so far. And, from what I
read in logs of others, I am not an exception, I am not a genious with a gift noone
else got. Huge amount of input simply works, if you are not lazy, if you combine it
with other things based on your needs, if you constantly strive for more and don't let
your quite comfortable level stop you.
10 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 19 of 36
24 December 2014 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Nobody disputes the value of lots of input. The more the better. That's pretty much a given. The
problem is the passage from input to output, actual speaking and writing. As has been pointed out,
many people can do this entirely on their own. Whatever the techniques they use, they are able to
produce excellent output without gradual interaction with native speakers.

On the other hand, many people, and I dare say most, find speaking and writing very challenging
despite massive amounts of input. The problem of course lies in the fact that input is essentially a
passive activity in which grammar, context, sound, meaning, etc. are all provided to you. When
producing output, you the speaker have to construct everything, preferably correctly.

Very few people are able to start speaking a language perfectly just from hearing it. Most people make
all kinds of mistakes that, hopefully, will be corrected. With time and correction, the mistakes
disappear or diminish.   

At least, that's the idea. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. Mistakes get fossilized. The
accent becomes set. And the learner is often unaware of all this. The learner is convinced that they are
speaking perfectly because nobody corrects them.     
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 20 of 36
24 December 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
Introspection has a lot of problems, but since I've taken a pretty Input based approach to learning German (20k pages/700 films, with little formal grammar study) perhaps I can suggest ideas.

This is almost a tautology: The brain learns do what it is trained to do, but generally not more.

When I read a text or watch a movie, what I am training my brain to do is extract meaning. The more I do of this the better my brain gets at doing what I am training it to do. I am quite confident that if I keep doing an Input-based approach I'll fairly quickly (in the next 1-3 years) reach something like C2 in German at a receptive level.

However, Meaning DOES NOT always map cleanly onto Form - the most obvious case in IE languages being gender - and form is not always important for the extraction of meaning.

Let's take the use of the genitive case to show possession:

The house of my mother // The house of my son.

Das Haus meiner Mutter // Das Haus meines Sohnes

The differences in construction come down simply to the fact that in German Mutter is a feminine noun, and Sohn masculine.

Now the following incorrect sentences don't sound terrible to me, perhaps a bit off, but not terribly:

Das Haus meines Mutters // Das Haus meiner Sohn // Das Haus meiner Mutters // Das Haus meines Sohn

But this sounds just bad:

Das Haus mein Mutter // Das Haus mein Mutters // Das Haus mein Sohn // Das Haus mein Sohnes

What I take from this is that my brain has learnt the rough rule, that to show possession using the genitive case the 'mein' needs to be modified with either an 'er' or 'es' ending (anything else would sound very odd), and that in certain cases an 's' is added to the possessive noun, but the link between the 'mein-er/es' and whether the possessive noun is modified remains relatively weak despite countless examples.

I think the reason this rule remains weak is because my brain has not learnt to automatically see gender in nouns, since gender does not affect meaning, and what I have been doing is training my brain to extract meaning, not form.

Now if gender was unambiguously marked in nouns (say by feminine nouns always ending in 'e') then perhaps I would have learnt the grammatical rule even if I only focused on meaning - but gender is not so clearly marked and so the rule, despite lots of exposure, has not been burnt so cleanly into my brain.

It's not clear to me how picking up a grammar book (or getting a tutor) would necessarily help me. After all I know this rule, and for that matter it's obvious to me that what the genders of 'Mutter' and 'Sohn' are. What I lack at the moment is a gut-sense of gender within sentences - perhaps in a sense I am gender blind as this doesn't affect meaning - and what I need to do is somehow get my brain to somehow start focusing on gender at the input stage, perhaps by focusing on it at the output stage.

Perhaps this will just become obvious with lots more input, perhaps not. I do know after all the distinction between who/whom in English without ever being taught it simply from exposure. My guess is though that a lot of this will become much clearer once I start producing output (particularly writing) that can then be corrected, and force me to focus on the form of sentences more clearly.

Edited by patrickwilken on 24 December 2014 at 9:13am

7 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 21 of 36
24 December 2014 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
This is almost a tautology: The brain learns do what it is trained to do, but generally not more.

Meaning DOES NOT always map cleanly onto Form - the most obvious case in IE languages being gender - and form is not always important for the extraction of meaning.

I've found that my spelling has improved a great deal recently as the result of writing/testing that skill for about 60 hours over the last month. Your explanation for why makes sense. I've found myself paying more attention to spelling, even when I'm reading something I won't be tested on.

Edited by luke on 24 December 2014 at 6:53am

1 person has voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4561 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 22 of 36
24 December 2014 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
When I started this thread, it was because I started out with unreasonable expectations for
input as a part time learner. Krashen advocated that input was the magic key. When I
learned Samoan, I worked hard at reading and I had great success. The whole time I was in
Samoa, I spoke Samoan most of the time. I think that massive input is vital for rapid
language acquisition, I think you need to practice the language also. Recently I've been
trying FSI basic Spanish after a couple of years of assimil, l-r, a and SRS. I've
experienced a definite positve impact on my productive language. It seems to be working
exactly as I hoped it would.

Let me give an example. Spanish has two past tenses (at least). Either can usually be
translated as the English past tense. For years I have known the forms and the "rule" for
which to use. But when I listen or read, I can get the gist by treating them both as the
same tense. The last three units of FSI have emphasized these tenses including drills on
when to use which one. I have had a big breakthrough with my understanding of these tenses,
including my comprehension. Reading narrative is much easier all of a sudden. All this from
a couple of hours of audiolingual drills. There is a difference between knowing something
vaguely so you can get the gist, and processing it automatically. This focus on form that
FSI encourages seems to make the grammar more salient even when I am just reading or
listening for meaning.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 23 of 36
24 December 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Cavesa about the comfort zone. After all, Krashen advocates i+1 input. Not i+5 and not i+0. And I'll be surprised if his theory allows ignoring either reading or listening.
2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4086 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 24 of 36
26 December 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
NOt everyone needs a teacher, and it must be emphasised that some are simply either
better or more intuitive and more comfomtble at self-teaching than others. I remember,
similarly, that in addition to being completely self-teaching for all of my eight
languages despite a few years in some of these languages in college (high school), I
am advancing at least 10 times more quickly and with less difficulty than when I had
formal instruction.

Similarly, my old friend of almost 20 years, we were in a dilemma in secondary school
when we wanted to skip formal instrution of calculus we were one year younger than
when it was normal to take that class, we even offered to sit an exam
to absolve us of taking a year of calculus and advancing to higher maths before
university, the department rejected our prposal, so what we did was that we taught
ourselves all of the calculus curriculum that was given, passed that exam that those
in the class with a teacher took, even with better marks than most of those students,
and everyone wondered how the hell we taught ourselves all of this material so easily,
we responded, because we need no teacher. Sometimes a teacher does not suit a student
if the learning style is different from the teaching style. It must also be accepted
that some prefer to do things on their own without formal instruction, most likely
excelling more than if they had formal instruction.

I have been teaching myself Spanish for 8 years after a few years in secondary school,
and someday maybe in a few years I plan to do the C2 exam, whether I hire a tutour or
not I know not, but given that that is simply expensive, maybe I might do an
experiment and sit C2 with no tutour. If that is what happens, I can post what the
results are.

But the point is that I am comfortable teaching myself things, using my own methods,
whether others reject them even formal instructors is immaterial to me. I do a lot of
input, but as Cavesa, I talk to myself in Spanish, I think in Spanish literally
everyday (and right now actually I am thinking in Spanish, except ironically thinking
in Spanish to translate thereafter to type in English, my native language). It may
seem like a looney thing to do, but if no one is in the house, I speak a lot to myself
in Spanish with Spanish television or some video playing. In university, I take notes
in Spanish instead of English. The reminder notes that I write and put on my desk are
all in Spanish. My phone is in Spanish, and the browser wherewith I type this message
are all in Spanish, as well as I changed my entire Windows interface into Spanish.
This is just one example, since Spanish is my strongest foreign language, but I can
easily do these things with my other 7 target languages, without formal instruction,
and purely on massive input.

Also speaking with myself and having little opportunity to speak regularly any of
these languages, at least with my strongest one, Spanish, at any point, I can simply
start speak spontaneously in any situation that enfronts me, if I had to, because I
essentially live in a constructed environment that is conducive to input-learning. But
if I had to travel to Barcelona, Madrid, Buenos Aires, Santiago, whither be it, I can
break out in Spanish immediately from all of the input, something that I have already
done numerous times like Cavesa in Berlin. The "new" environment is no shock to me--I
have already "been" there at home.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 26 December 2014 at 9:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version