Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 25 of 36
26 December 2014 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
I agree completely that most formal instruction is
inefficient for self motivated learners. I think that
this thread, and others here support the idea that most
people will not ever develop fluent speech with *only*
input. Most people need a chance to speak.
I wonder if *all* people need it.
I think it is impossible to answer this with only
anecdotal evidence. We hear a story of someone who
only read and listened and then went to a country and
took off speaking to native speakers. But what does
this mean? How fluent and accurate were they? Did they
stumble and fumble and eventually get their meaning
across, and only start sounding good after a couple of
weeks of trying? What about the person who says they
have years of input and complete comprehension,but who
claim they can't talk? Do they spend all their time
going around saying, "I'll sound like a fool if I make a
mistake." and never speak? Either case can be misleading
if you just read about the person's experience in a
forum post.

Edited by sfuqua on 26 December 2014 at 11:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 36
27 December 2014 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
What about the person who says they have years of input and complete comprehension,but who claim they can't talk? Do they spend all their time going around saying, "I'll sound like a fool if I make a mistake." and never speak?

Input helps a lot when you're not sure whether you're guessing or actually saying things correctly.

Also, confidence can often account for the difference, whether it comes from being able to cite the grammar rules or from remembering your previous conversations... or from seeing/hearing the words and expressions in your input.

The one thing anecdata can do is confirm/deny statements like "it's possible" and "it always happens".

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 27 of 36
28 December 2014 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
I'm having a problem understanding what the debate is all about. Nobody is against input and nobody
is against output. I have already said that I don't think that it's a debate of input-oriented vs output-
oriented learner.

Perhaps part of the problem is that when the word input is used there is the assumption that this is
totally passive. The image is one of somebody laying on a sofa and watching a thousand hours of tv in
the target language with subtitles and then suddenly jumping up speaking perfectly in the language.
No, it doesn't work that way.

The kind of input most of us do is what I would call active input, that is we are interacting with the
language while we consume it. I'm sure everybody here looks at videos with a notebook at hand and
jots down things of interest. Flashcards and Anki stacks are a variation of this. We repeat passages
many times to be certain of what we hear. We look things up in dictionaries and do some research on
the Internet. And we do a lot of shadowing as we repeat out aloud certain passages. Many people put
passages into Audacity so that they can transcribe sections and practice more systematically. Some
people may learn entire passages by heart that they recite or act out.

For reading and writing it's more difficult but I'm sure people underline passages, copy sentences into
notebooks and do some scriptorium whereby they copy entire passages in longhand.

With this kind of active engagement, it's not surprising that input-based learning produces good
results. Input does not have to mean sitting waiting for divine intervention.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 36
28 December 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
This is called intensive listening or reading. But extensive isn't about waiting for a divine intervention either.

Out of what you mentioned, I only use dictionaries, Anki and google (and also GLOSS). And even these are only a small fraction of my time.

Quote:
Nobody is against input or output.

I'm against speaking from day 1. (apart from those who are abroad or desperately need this for motivation)

Edited by Serpent on 28 December 2014 at 5:49am

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4561 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 

Message 29 of 36
28 December 2014 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Back when I was in graduate school in the '80s there
were some pretty extreme versions of this I put
hypothesis around, some supported by Krashen himself.
Nobody completely bought the extreme versions (other
than Krashen and extreme fans), and the input hypothesis
is frustratingly hard to disprove (too vague to be a
real hypothesis). Especially with the Internet, it is
hard to understand why somebody would want to test the
extreme versions of the input hypothesis. You gotta talk
to get good at talking.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 30 of 36
28 December 2014 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
...Because I don't like talking and I'll use as much help from input as possible? Also because I'm more aural and like listening more than most people here seem to?
2 persons have voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4561 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 

Message 31 of 36
28 December 2014 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Sure :)

mairov
Diglot
Brazil
mairovergara.com
Joined 3420 days ago

1 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 32 of 36
28 December 2014 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
I believe input is the foundation for language learning. Without it you just can't learn a language. This does not mean, however, that input only is enough. In order to speak you need to practice speaking, however the amount of input you have received will directly influence how far you can take your speaking, the same way the amount to reading you have done will directly influence how far you can take your writing.

My English level is a very good example... I learned English mainly through input. I rarely have the opportunity to talk to other people in English. As a result, I make many mistakes. The same goes for writing: I don't need to write in English, I don't need to improve my skills on it. As a result, I also make mistakes when writing. However, I believe all the input I have done so far is kind of "sleeping" in my brain and will emerge in case I really need to speak and write in English (if I move to US, for example).

To sum up, I believe input only is not enough, but input still is the foundation upon which we all build fluency in the language.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version