Ireland
Joined 3452 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 9 of 28
19 January 2015 at 8:32am | IP Logged 

17/1:

Japanese: Did quite a bit of reading today, two magazine articles and two NHK Easy articles. With some usual manga.

The habit of picking up some Japanese reading, even after work, is growing steadily.

Decided to have a look at 「とは」as a grammar point, but couldn't find it. So its not some sort of preposition... the mystery continues.

Usual day to day spoken language.

French:

I had made some simple French to French flash cards for my grammar study. Had a look through them when I had free time during the day. Read some articles online while keeping an eye out for 'er' and 'ir' verb conjugation.

18/1:

Japanese: Only one and a half magazine articles today (the second of which was longer than usual, hence the half! :D).

Will have time for grammar tomorrow.

Usual day to day spoken language.

French:

Again looked at the flash cards when I had some time. I'd like to point out that I am not trying to memorise anything, just familiarise myself with some of the patterns and leave the rest for recognition practice while I read.

Read a few articles online.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4151 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 28
19 January 2015 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
とは is often used when giving a definition, and the like. I think there might be something about it
in the Tae Kim's guide.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Potted Plant
Ireland
Joined 3452 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes

Message 11 of 28
20 January 2015 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
とは is often used when giving a definition, and the like. I think there might be something about it
in the Tae Kim's guide.

Thank you Ezy Ryder, I will have a look.

19/1:

Japanese:

Four NHK Easy article. Unfortunately I did not have time to read the corresponding normal article.

One and a half magazine articles. Finished the half from yesterday.

Unknown sentence point: 「さらに」- Not a grammatical point! The adventure continues.

French:

Quickly read through week 4 of Hugo in Three Months.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4151 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 28
20 January 2015 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
さらに can mean "moreover." Quite often you can find definitions for similar terms using Rikai
san/chan/kun/sama (a web browser pop-up dictionary). Maybe consider giving it (or the dictionary
it uses) a try?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Potted Plant
Ireland
Joined 3452 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes

Message 13 of 28
20 January 2015 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Ezy Ryder. I have been using the Rikaichan browser dictionary for a good while now, its quite the life saver.

I did check the dictionary, and usually do before looking at my grammar book, apologies for not making that clear at all. I still appreciate the wise words of advice though so don't stop!

19/1:

Japanese: Just read one manga volume and made corrections to my formal writing piece I mentioned a few days earlier.

French:
Wrote some grammar notes and updated my flashcards. Read a few articles online. (I am not counting my articles in French as it is not that difficult for me to read)

Comments:

Wasn't able to focus on Japanese today, so I allowed myself to float over to French for the most part. Being able to move to another language is always refreshing. Get to bang my head against a different set of walls. =P

Potted Plant
Ireland
Joined 3452 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes

Message 14 of 28
22 January 2015 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
21/1

Japanese: One magazine article and lots of day to day conversation.

I didn't have time for much else.

French:
        Hugo in Three Months, week 5: Read chapter and made some notes.

Listened to a few hours of a history podcast, and played a strategy game in French (It counts!!)

Potted Plant
Ireland
Joined 3452 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes

Message 15 of 28
26 January 2015 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
22/1:

Japanese:

One magazine article and some manga.

Day to day speech. Not very good today, brain wasn't in language mode!

French:

None today.

23/1:

Japanese:

Some manga.

French:
None

24/1

Japanese:
2 magazine articles

French:
Online articles. Reviewed my grammar cards.

25/1

Japanese:

1 volume of manga (around 190 pages, in about 30-40 minutes). I know manga is not the summit of Japanese literature, but I am quite impressed with the increase in my reading speed.

I have been thinking about starting reading books. I did have a look at what was available, fiction and non-fiction, and I think for non-fiction magazines are still the best for now since they have lots of visual clues which I still need to make sense of an article (especially if I am not familiar with the topic).

I think however the time has come to move to some non-fiction, perhaps for teenagers as it would be easier (in theory!) to grasp the context. I'll keep an eye out for any interesting light novels, although I am a bit afraid of what I might find! =P

French:

Online articles. Reviewed my grammar cards.Some grammar is starting to stick, even at this relaxed pace. Perhaps I will do the same with Japanese.

Potted Plant
Ireland
Joined 3452 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes

Message 16 of 28
29 January 2015 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
27/1:

Japanese:

3.5 (the last was quite long) magazine articles. And day to day conversation.

French:

2 episodes of a podcast, one video game (lots of reading I promise! =) ) and half of the 6th week of Hugo in Three Months

28/1:

No study at all today, quite bad really. A little day to day Japanese, but it doesn't count.

I did find two books to read in Japanese. One random light novel and a book on the last Shogun.What perils will await Potted Plant on his next stage of his Japanese journey? Find out next time! Same log, same forum, same bat...wait. (=P)

----

I have decided to work with the Super Challenge rules for my reading from now on. Putting some numbers on the log should give me some motivation to read again the material that I have and hopefully help with quantifying my learning overall.

As I am focusing on Japanese for the time being, I will only list anything read in Japanese.

Secondly, I don't think a relaxed look at grammar as I was suggesting before in a post from the 16th of January, is suitable for my Japanese learning goals at the moment. (It is however, quite suitable for French and I am quite happy with my method so far)

I don't have a concrete plan at the moment for my grammar study, however I will do some thinking and post once I have one laid out.

Finally, I am thinking of sitting the JLPT N3 in July. I loathe this test, and everything about it, however there is no alternative examination (obvious Japanese ability aside; an interview in Japanese for example).

My dislike for the test is the main reason I am double, and triple, thinking about studying for it. It would help in providing some framework for grammar study, however as I found from my study for the previous two levels, N5-4, the language knowledge needed to pass the test is not as easily applicable to normal usage of Japanese (although N5 is not as bad at all in this regard).

Thoughts?

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version