bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4390 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 17 of 33
12 January 2015 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Hi everybody!

I am currently without both my computers and the only replacement I found is rather dated hence the short introduction :/

My first advanced language is English, which I began to study back in elementary school...and loved ever since. I already get a fairly good amount of practice everyday with writing/reading/watching, so the only thing I miss is some speaking practice.

My second advanced language is Spanish, somewhere around B2/C2 depending on the areas, and the third one would be French. Although I'm better in Spanish than in French, I will probably focus on the latter and try to improve my weaker areas. I don't know if I will be able to take them to an advanced level within a year, but I am definitely aiming for a solid advanced beginner/intermediate level.

As soon as I get a properly working computer back I will update my log with a revised introduction and detailed study plan for 2015.
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 18 of 33
12 January 2015 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
As I said on the Advanced
ESL Team Thread
I just went through the whole TAC 2015 thread, but I'd rather ask
here before making even more noise there. May I join this team? TID=39905">My new log is also linked as my 'home page' on the left.

I welcome corrections to any mistakes I make, in any language including my own, and the
advanced languages I plan to 'study' are English and Spanish.

For those who find this surprising, I'll say my reason to join the advanced teams (if
I'm allowed) is that I'm not sure what further 'study' I can do at C2 and beyond. I
mean, I routinely do stuff which I'll describe later, which is the same for both
languages (and will be for my less advanced ones when I get somewhere with them) but
I'd call that other names.

Of course! Welcome on board! Be sure to add yourself to the team in the TAC Wiki and
the main TAC thread if you haven't already done so.

And it's true that one of the main challenges at the advanced level is to find new
things to work on beyond polishing. But I'm sure we can help you find some goals :)

I've been remiss in taking care of all the housekeeping stuff for the thread (I've been
sidetracked in a major way by current events). I was in the process of making a little
graph to show shared languages and I was about to start contacting people who had
signed up in the main thread but haven't posted yet here (but two of you showed up -
welcome!)

As a next step: many of us have cited writing as one area we wanted to work on. Does
anyone have any "systems" in mind yet for practicing - a writing book you're following,
prompts, everyday writing challenges, blogs/Lang-8 or other journals you're posting to?

I want to attempt the 500 words a day challenge I attempted before - no pressure to
post anything if I don't want to, just get in the habit of writing a substantial amount
of text every day.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 19 of 33
13 January 2015 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
I believe writing a story collectively would be a good start, like you write a paragraph and the person below continues it - but with emphasis on working on your skills instead of merely trolling.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4022 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 20 of 33
13 January 2015 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
You can do both, can't you? :D
I second this idea. I have also suggested it in AdvESL :)

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3644 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 21 of 33
14 January 2015 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
I like this idea too! Any possible themes?

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 22 of 33
14 January 2015 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Nice idea! I've actually been taking a French writing workshop that meets once a month
based on the Oulipo movement which imposes
constraints (through forms, styles, grammar, words, letters, etc) which is highly
collaborative and makes writing into a sort of game. And I've been thinking of setting up
a series of prompts based on La Rochefoucauld's Maximes (and other similar texts).

Any ideas for a good spot to house collaborative writing projects?

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3644 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 23 of 33
14 January 2015 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Google Docs is what immediately springs to mind. In case that is problematic (for those
who don't have/don't want to create a google account), I've done a little bit of research
and found Typewrite and
Etherpad. I haven't looked very deeply into them, and I'm
not very technologically minded so I'm not sure which would be best to suit our purpose.

The Oulipo idea sounds suitably challenging, and quite fun. Would we all be writing a
text for each prompt/constraint, or would we take it in turns?

Edited by Elenia on 14 January 2015 at 12:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4022 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 24 of 33
14 January 2015 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
I had to look up Russian Wiki to understamd what constraints are, haha. This is going to be fun!
One question though: we all have different languages, so there's gonna be several collaborative writings or
what?

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version