justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5207 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 117
11 January 2015 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Facebook Group

Since our team is so small, I'm leaving it open to anyone studying Romance languages (ie - the Spanish and French teams) as well.

If you're on FB much, join us. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 117
11 January 2015 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for setting up the group!
Kerrie wrote:
If you want to watch it, make sure to use the playlists, as they go automatically to the next video and there are less ads.

Heh, for me it's a downside that it goes to the next vid, as it's marked as viewed if I don't pause it in the last second :D
And adblock plus can hide all youtube ads :)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5207 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 19 of 117
11 January 2015 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Thanks for setting up the group!
Kerrie wrote:
If you want to watch it, make sure to use the playlists, as they go automatically to the next video and there are less ads.

Heh, for me it's a downside that it goes to the next vid, as it's marked as viewed if I don't pause it in the last second :D

Still, then you just go back to the last one you "watched," no big deal. :)

Meddysong
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 3419 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, French
Studies: Italian, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 20 of 117
12 January 2015 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Hello there, fellow Romancers!

I'm Tim, other half of Radioclare (she of the collosal 2014 log in Slavic languages: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37742). I'm not likely to put in anything like the amount of work that she does but then I don't think anybody else could either. I'm her enabler, in a way, buying her text books and novels, which she then runs through :)

Where Clare handles the Slavic languages on our fairly frequent holidays, I take the Romance ones. It's not a bad arrangement.

I learned French in school and thought I was really really good at it, usually coming at or near the top in tests. It wasn't until I moved to France when I was a student that my illusion was shattered, and it became clear that classroom French might buy you a beer, but you're not going to have much of a conversation whilst drinking it. Fortunately for me, immersion worked and I became functionally fluent, which triggered the language bug. I later learned Italian (reading pretty good, writing fair, spoken reasonable), Spanish (reading reasonable, writing and spoken laboured), Esperanto (functional fluency) and dipped my toe into several other languages.

My mini project for this year is to read a novel in Catalan. I have no expectations of being able to write or converse in the language, but I've been able to read and understand it fairly well when we've been on holiday in Barcelona and Andorra, and so for curiosity's sake I'd like to study it.

Romania and Bulgaria are still new territory to us, so I'd like to think that in 2016 we might visit those countries. Clare's currently learning Macedonian, which will mean she can handle Bulgaria, which leaves me with Romanian. So at some point this year I'd like to get started on learning it, and I'm secretly looking forward to it because it contains Slavic features that might act as a gateway to the Slavic languages too.

In the meantime, though, I'd like to continue reading in Italian and French (a habit I've only recently picked up again and which Santa Claus has helped me with) and give some thought to studying Catalan. It's been a long time since I actively studied a language, so I'll keep things simple for the time being.

Edited by Meddysong on 12 January 2015 at 3:40pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 117
12 January 2015 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Oh, welcome!!! Clare is wonderful ♥. Her Croatian is way better than mine although I'm Russian, lol.

Catalan and Romanian are really cool :) Be sure to add them to your profile btw :)

Please start a log and sign up here too (add yourself to the wikia if you can).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Meddysong
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 3419 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, French
Studies: Italian, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 22 of 117
12 January 2015 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the warm welcome :)

Serpent wrote:
Catalan and Romanian are really cool :) Be sure to add them to your profile btw :)

I'll definitely add them once I feel that I've put some effort in (I haven't started yet), but if it were a case of adding languages to my profile after I've read an overview of the grammar or some chapters of a Teach Yourself, then there'd be a bunch more. For instance, I attended an awful BCS class with Clare and have done maybe 12 chapters of Teach Yourself Croatian, but I realistically can't say I know Croatian or actively study it, and the same with the other languages.

When Catalan and Romanian appear, at least you'll know that I really am taking it seriously :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 23 of 117
12 January 2015 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
It doesn't have to be *that* serious hehe. You can already understand Catalan, so as far as I'm concerned you've already started. But whatever works for you :)

Ccaesar
Triglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 3607 days ago

84 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German
Studies: Italian

Message 24 of 117
13 January 2015 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Ciao a tutti!
Bonjour à vous!
Well I am from Denmark and have had a passion for languages as long as I can remember,
I've learnt English, German and French at school (and afterwards), however, my English
and German is much better than my French.
I have decided to take up Italian and I am currently using Assimil and
watching/listening
to Italian music on youtube.

In addition to that I am chatting/talking to Italians as often as I can, and I feel
that
I am making progress. I hope to reach a stabil B1 by the end of the year.

log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=38982

Edited by Ccaesar on 13 January 2015 at 2:55pm

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version