Joined 3859 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 9 of 117
07 January 2015 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
TID=39746&PN=1">My log

I've been studying languages for a few years now. I've dabbled in more than I can
remember, and I've managed to get it down to French, Spanish, Italian, German, and
Portuguese that I really want to reach a high level in.

I love to read and watch movies. Not only in foreign languages either. :) If anyone
ever needs recommendations for films or series in French, Spanish, or Italian, just
ask. I've been scouring the internet for decent material in these three languages for
awhile now and I've developed a pretty solid list.

Here's to a fruitful new year.

Italian tv serie: Boris
1 person has voted this message useful

Sooniye
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 3709 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Danish, Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Albanian

Message 10 of 117
08 January 2015 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Hola, aquí es mi log:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39745&PN=1&TPN=1

About me:

I am 30 years old and live in the southern part of Sweden, pretty close to Denmark. I have
always loved other cultures and languages. I have however not studied languages for quite
some time. I took up my great passion again last year.

I will study Spanish and if there will be any time left I'd love to spend some time on French
and Italian. But back to Spanish; I plan on repeating what I already know and hopefully learn
some new things with help of Assimil, with ease and the using courses. I also plan to read
atleast 1 chapter or watch atleast 40 min TV every day.

Edited by Sooniye on 08 January 2015 at 11:08am

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5605 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 11 of 117
08 January 2015 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Hello,
Here is my log:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39779&PN=1&TPN=1

I am Russian, 37 years old. I am biologist, actually I live and work in France, in Toulouse. I just love languages and
would like to learn as more as I can (depending on my working schedule which is quite heavy).
This year I would like to improve my speaking abilities in Italian and Portuguese. The second goal is to complete
ShuperChallenge (French and Spanish).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 117
09 January 2015 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
Portuguese learners, have a look at this great comic strip about learning!!!
I've done the course it's based on, and it covers pretty much all the best info, maybe apart from the impostor's syndrome.

Here's my submission for when I did the course btw. Also, I wonder if there's an English version of the comic around somewhere, I'm pretty sure they'd get downgraded by those who can't understand.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5019 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 117
09 January 2015 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
I'm happy to say that I understood the comic strip! Seems I can understand written
Portuguese, even if I can't pick out a single word when it's spoken.

Anyway, my introduction.

My log

I'm Gary, 27 years old, from Scotland. I've been learning French for around 5 years
(plus another 5 at high school) and Italian for 3 years. I'm already on the French
team, so I've joined this one mainly for Italian. I also studied Spanish on and off
last year, and got to a B1-ish level, but for the time being I've put it on hold and
decided to focus on improving the other languages.

I've visited Italy a few times and had many Italian friends over the years, which
along with my general interest in languages has given me a passion for Italian
language and culture. Currently my level is quite advanced in terms of knowledge and
understanding, but this year my principal goal to improve my speaking fluency,
pronunciation and confidence. I have a similar goal for French too. I've written more
about these goals and my plans and methods in my log.

Like sillygoose1 I'd also be interested in seeing and sharing film/TV/book
recommendations, especially for Italian since it tends to be a bit less discussed than
French and Spanish.

Good luck everyone!

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4066 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 14 of 117
09 January 2015 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone, my name is Ryan, and I'm studying languages as a supplement to my film history studies. My main focus this year will be on French, and I have a few French film history textbooks I'm going to try and read this year in addition to my usual movie viewing. I've also dabbled in Italian and Spanish from time to time and have a bit of comprehension with each, and while I don't know if I'll focusing on them this year, I'll definitely be getting some input in them just from the movies I watch. I'm also strongly interested in Romanian, though I'm not sure when I'll find time to focus on it.

I'll be re-using my Log from last year with new entries beginning on page 6.

Edited by YnEoS on 09 January 2015 at 3:59pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5207 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 117
11 January 2015 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
For those of you who don't know me, my name is Kerrie. I've been around HTLAL for many years. I'm in my late 30s, and I live in the Midwest (USA). I'm a single mum with twelve-year-old twin daughters. As much as I love learning languages, there's not a lot of time for it when you work 40+ hours a week and run a household by yourself.

I've studied Spanish off an on for many years, and I feel like I've made pretty decent progress the last year or two. I've played with French, Italian, Portuguese, German, and Croatian. To varying degrees, of course.

For me, learning languages isn't as much about communicating (like it is for a lot of people), but it's more like a puzzle. I like to figure out how they work. I've started getting the "itch" to speak and understand more though, so we'll see where that takes me over the next year.

My 2015 goals for my other languages are listed in my log. My primary focus for languages this year will be to continue my Spanish, and to work on Portuguese and ASL (American Sign Language). I may come back to French and/or Italian later in the year, but experience has taught me that focusing on one or two languages will get me much further than focusing on ten of them. Of course, that's just my experience. Your mileage may vary. :D

I will continue my old log for TAC this year.

Spanish

80 film units (Super Challenge)
90 book units (Super Challenge)

I want to finish the double Super Challenge with Spanish, which will not be a problem. I hope. I recently found El Internado on Youtube. It's hard-subbed in English. I kind of wish I had the option to turn off the subtitles, but I think I would still miss alot. I just finished season 4, and it keeps getting better and better. The episodes are long (85-90 min each). If you want to watch it, make sure to use the playlists, as they go automatically to the next video and there are less ads.

I want to read La Mano de Fátima (Ildefonso Falcones) and La Sombra del Viento (Carlos Luis Zafón). I have started both of these and am enjoying them. I'm also reading Cien Años de Soledad, which has got to be the weirdest book on the planet. I have been reading books in translation so far with Spanish, and I really want to delve into some native books this year. Spanish reading is not on my priority list this year, though, so we'll see what else I get to besides those two books.

I also want to work on my conversation skills. I am thinking about taking 2-4 weeks later in the year and going to Spanish immersion school in Guatemala. I was looking at flight costs a few months ago, and it looks like I could get a round-trip ticket for $600-700 out of Chicago, and the school itself is not that expensive. I will be looking more into that in the next few months.

Portuguese

I went through most of the Michel Thomas course recently, and now all of a sudden I want more! I need to finish the last two discs of the Advance course, but my plan is to work through the Assimil courses (I have both the old and new brésilien versions). After I work through those, I want to do a lot of listening-reading, starting with books that are familiar. Probably some Harry Potter, maybe the Hunger Games.

Part of me wants to commit to a Super Challenge (either 50/50 or 100/100) for Portuguese, but it's too soon to commit to that. My priority for January is to get through the 30 LifePrint ASL lessons, then February and March will be focused on Portuguese (Assimil). (When does the 6WC start? )

My girlfriend speaks Spanish fairly fluently (and French, too). Sometimes we speak in Spanish, but mostly just when the kids are around and we don't want them to know what we're saying. :)

---

I was thinking of starting a Facebook group for our team. Would anyone be interested in that? How many of you are on FB?

Edited by Kerrie on 11 January 2015 at 3:37pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 117
11 January 2015 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
I've thought of a facebook group too :) It would be great for staying in touch, especially when the forum is unstable. But we need a vibrant team thread too.
If you decide to create it, I guess making it private is best?

Great wording about a puzzle btw :) I definitely love this aspect.

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version