bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4414 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 49 of 117
30 January 2015 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I love the way Eco uses language. I've already highlighted half a dozen passages. It's work to untangle them at first, but the work is rewarded with some beautiful Italian.

I read the book a while ago and, if I recall correctly, have watched the film as well. Eco is a renowned professor of Semiotics and Philosophy, I agree his use of the language is beautiful, even poetic to a certain extent. Unfortunately not all his books are easy to read, as in the case of "Il nome della rosa" which remains quite hard due to the presence of archaic words, uncommon sentence constructions and so on. It is definitely not the stuff for early/low intermediate learners, advanced learners shouldn't miss the chance to read it, though!

dandt wrote:
While I only need English, having Italian will be an added benefit in getting the job, paired with my Italian citizenship.

Welcome to the team, Anna!

If you are planning to spend some time in Italy being able to speak the language will definitely be a huge help. Most people here cannot speak English, aside from those who live in tourist locations and/or are required to know English because of their job.

Edited by suzukaze on 30 January 2015 at 12:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4436 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 50 of 117
30 January 2015 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
suzukaze wrote:
kanewai wrote:
I love the way Eco uses language. I've already highlighted half a dozen
passages. It's work to untangle them at first, but the work is rewarded with some beautiful Italian.

I read the book a while ago and, if I recall correctly, have watched the film as well. Eco is a renowned professor of
Semiotics and Philosophy, I agree his use of the language is beautiful, even poetic to a certain extent. Unfortunately
not all his books are easy to read, as in the case of "Il nome della rosa" which remains quite hard due to the
presence of archaic words, uncommon sentence constructions and so on. It is definitely not the stuff for early/low
intermediate learners, advanced learners shouldn't miss the chance to read it, though!

dandt wrote:
While I only need English, having Italian will be an added benefit in getting the job, paired with my
Italian citizenship.

Welcome to the team, Anna!

If you are planning to spend some time in Italy being able to speak the language will definitely be a huge help. Most
people here cannot speak English, aside from those who live in tourist locations and/or are required to know English
because of their job.

Thanks! I spent maybe a week in Italy when I was 15 and we definitely found that, even in places like Rome and
Firenze. It was actually funny a few times, as my dad is fluent in Italian, and he caught people making jokes about
tourists who only speak English. It was actually really great when we noticed someone trying to overcharge us at the
post office! I can definitely see the value in having my language skills up if I do end up travelling again.

Also wanted to say that I was excited to see the Italian dub of the cosby show. I'm too young to really have seen
much of it on TV, but have enjoyed the episodes I have caught here and there. It'll be great to get to watch while
expanding my Italian skills.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jesm86
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3515 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 51 of 117
31 January 2015 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Hello everybody,

my name is Jerome, I'm a 28 years old student and live in Hamburg, Germany.
I've always been interested in learning languages especially Portuguese (+ Chinese and Japanese) and decided that now is the right time to start!

At the moment I'm planning to use "Portugues Via Brasil: Um Curso Avancado Para Estrangeiros" as my main ressource and suplement it with Pimsleur Brazilian Portuguese I-III, Assimil "Brasilianisch ohne Mühe" and a Portuguese Online Podcast. If someone has a good recommendation on which Podcast should be used, I'd be very grateful.

This is my log.

Até logo,
Jerome

Edited by jesm86 on 31 January 2015 at 2:18am

2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 52 of 117
31 January 2015 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
jesm86, welcome to the forum! The monolingual course you mentioned, in my opinion, is too advanced for someone beginning Portuguese. It should be saved for later. Pimsleur 1-3 is a good supplement for a more thorough course like DLI Portuguese Basic Course. I used it with Pimsleur, native materials, language exchanges and a private tutor. The DLI course is the most thorough course I have ever seen or used. Thanks to my Spanish, I jumped in at unit 4. I just don't think the Português via Brasil course is appropriate for beginners. I wouldn't have gotten much out of it at a beginner level. I haven't used it but I have looked through it.

I never used learner-intended podcasts. Because I had Spanish already, I started with the Café Brasil podcasts, NHK World Português Noticias and your own Deutsche Welle Learning By Ear- Radionovelas. The latter is Mozambican Portuguese. All three come with accurate transcripts. The DW Radionovela Fábulas Africanas link I gave you is the one I started with. You can make your own bilingual texts by going to the English site and downloading the pdf. There are over 70 hours of these available.

The DLI course is indeed, old, but complete. It has tons of drills, a short dialog, a reading, comprehension questions, grammar and a bilingual PT-EN glossary but very little English. The pdf's should be ocr'ed first. If you go to the link download "Basic Books" and "Portuguese MP3's". It is free and legal to download. Save Português via Brasil for when you reach B-2.

jesm86
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3515 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 53 of 117
31 January 2015 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
I think you might be right. The first united of Via Brasil was really challenging and took quite a while. Maybe I would get more out of that course if I started it later.
I have just downloaded the DLI course as you recommended and will have a go with it.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4416 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 54 of 117
31 January 2015 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Ciao a tutti!

Finally stopping by to introduce myself. My name is Liam, I'm 22 years old and come
from Ireland. I began studying French in secondary school ten years ago, taking it for
five years. Reached a very low level, as is the norm with foreign languages in
Ireland. I dropped it altogether for about two years until I discovered this forum and
began to study once again. I spent a while trying out various techniques that I came
across here, but made little progress. For more than a year now I've been reading
extensively and have seen a major boost in my French. My abilities are FAR from
perfect. My focus for this year will be continuing to read, watch TV, but above all to
speak the language more, I need a lot of practice!

I'll be finishing my current employment at the end of March and hope to visit France
(never been!) for two or three weeks and take a French course. Any suggestions?! :)

Italian is a new venture for me, but already I've noticed the "discount" I get in
passive understanding from French. Truth be told I've been lazy with Italian this
month, spending more time on French and German, but will have to pick up the slack
from now on. I'm also looking at a trip to Italy this October, lets see how much I can
learn by then!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 55 of 117
10 February 2015 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Amazingly enough, I didn't have to remove anyone. Every single of the 18 members has stopped by this thread in January. And the only one who still hasn't posted an introduction is me, but I took the liberty not to remove myself XD

The first page finally has links to all logs.

There has been a lot of activity so I don't think we need a special February challenge... although it would be cool to talk about Caesar. What are your associations? Both with the historical figure and anything related like idk Caesar salad ;D Or any people named Cesare, César etc? This topic isn't limited to February - discuss it when you feel like it :)

Also, I've seen some discussions of goodreads in the logs. Let's add each other there? :) My page is here :)

Now, my introduction... I think most of you know a bit about me, so I'm not sure where to start. It's easier to mention which Romance language I'm not learning, French :D Although I've done some GLOSS lessons, hehe. And I can read it when necessary. My two strongest Romance languages are definitely the Iberian ones. I only got there very recently with Spanish and my story is here in my log and on the next page too. My current main Romance projects are taking my Italian to basic fluency and my Portuguese to the advanced. Most of all I'm interested in the connections between the Romance languages.

As for Caesar, I chose this team name because he was admired for his multitasking, and many of us here are learning several Romance languages. It also makes me think of Cesare Prandelli, a former coach of AC Fiorentina and the Italian national team. And one more person I associate it with is Júlio César, the Brazilian goalkeeper of my most loved club in the world (if I have to choose just one), SL Benfica. I also remember how my whole family watched a Brazilian telenovela when I was a kid, and there was a character named César but the adults all referred to him as Caesar (with the Russian TS in the beginning). Haha just a random memory. I chose the Portuguese (and Spanish) spelling for my log title, btw. (Just reminding that you can use the one in your L2 too :))

Oh and some contacts... my twitter and lastfm are serpent849, goodreads is linked above, this is my facebook (any HTLAL'er will be happily accepted as a friend :)). I'm also on LJ, tumblr, Pottermore, vk and whatnot - will post the links if asked. One site where I keep on resisting getting an account is Google (might have to change that soon).
I'd ask you to make sure we have some way of getting in touch in case HTLAL is down for some time.

Edited by Serpent on 10 February 2015 at 8:24am

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3859 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 56 of 117
11 February 2015 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
Vale, yo no tengo una relación precisa con el nombre César. Entonces, no soy un fan de la ensalada César y no
tengo amigos que se llaman César. No quiero mirar las partidas de fútbol (pero hace muchos años yo las miraba y
se que Cesare Prandelli es un entrenador muy competente). Para acabar, nunca llamaré mi hijo César, ¡porque este
nombre no me gusta nada! A pesar de esto, yo tengo que decir que en realidad me gusta el nombre Team Caesar
porque se refiere a Julio César, el emperador.

Bien, je n'ai pas une relation précise avec le nom Cesar. En plus, je ne suis pas un fan de la salade Cesar et je n'ai
pas d'amis qui s'appellent Cesar. Je n'aime pas regarder les matches de football (mais il y a beaucoup d'années je les
regardais et je sais que Cesare Prandelli est un entraineur très competent). Pour terminer, je n'appellerais jamais
mon fils Cesar, parce que je n'aime pas de tout ce prénom! Malgré ça, je dois dire que actuellement j'aime le nom
Team Caesar parce que se réfère à Julio Cesar, l'empereur.

Bene, io non ho una relazione precisa con il nome Cesare. In più, non sono un fan dell'insalata Cesare e non ho
amici che si chiamano Cesare. Non mi piace guardare le partite di calcio (ma parecchi anni fa le guardavo e so che
Cesare Prandelli è un allenatore molto competente). Per finire, non chiamerò mai mio figlio Cesare perché questo
nome non mi piace per niente! Nonostante ciò, devo dire che mi piace il nome Team Caesar perché si riferisce a
Giulio Cesare, l'imperatore.

Well, I don't have a precise relationship with the name Cesar. Furthermore, I'm not a Caesar salad's fan and I don't
have any friend that is called Cesar. I don't like to watch football matches (but many years ago I was watching them
and I know that Cesare Prandelli is a very competent trainer). To conclude, I will never call my son Cesar because I
don't like this name at all! Despite all of this, I have to say that I like the name Team Caesar because is referred to
Julius Cesar, the emperor.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version