Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4070 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 9 of 32
06 March 2015 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Wow! Thanks Crush, the table on that page is exactly what I had in mind, and I'd never thought
of checking whether Wikipedia had an article about that. Of course it had! Now I can see where
the name my Chinese teacher gave me (劳伦) comes from...

[Edit] A quick count and I see 434 characters used to transliterate foreign names. Quite a bit
more than the 48 (or so?) characters in the katakana system. A lot of those 434 characters
*are* used in common Chinese words, though, and should be studied anyway. What I said above
(Chinese tends to use a subset of infrequent characters to transliterate foreign names) is a
rough tendency, not a rule.

Edited by lorinth on 06 March 2015 at 5:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 10 of 32
10 March 2015 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
In an effort to update my log a bit more regularly to see if that can help keep me focused, here's a quick update:
In Korean, i picked up Unit 4 of FSI again. I started it a little over a week ago but went out of town for a few days and it's been hard to get back into the (rather nice) routine i had going. I'm gonna try to schedule things a bit better. The biggest killer in my study routine has been going through my HSK reviews. It's my least favorite part of the day and it takes a while (around 30-40 minutes if i can concentrate, often i can't) though i'm determined to finish the list out. Err.. back to Korean. Today's unit was a killer, as the first pass tends to be. Since much of the language is super formal it's a bit weird, but i'm curious to see what you can get out of FSI. I've been having lots of trouble remembering Korean words in Memrise, it's hard to really say the percentage of words i remember as i believe the total is calculated based on total responses (so when you get an answer incorrect, it asks you the word again three times). But i'm pretty sure i'm well below 50%. This was part of my motivation to pick FSI back up, those words i always remember pretty well.

In Mandarin, i've got 924 unlearned cards, but under 900 new cards. If i don't collapse first, i'll have seen every card in the deck within two months, or sometime in the beginning of May.

I haven't done much with Esperanto, i'm going to read a bit of HowToStudyKorean and maybe pick up La Tempomaŝino before going to bed.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5032 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 11 of 32
10 March 2015 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
I'm enjoying the log. And thanks for the Anki decks, I'm going to load them up myself this week.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 12 of 32
11 March 2015 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for stopping by, i guess my logs are rather boring as it's literally just me logging my study time. With FSI i'll try to talk a little bit about parts that gave me trouble or frustrated me for people doing the course after me. I've had pretty good luck with FSI courses, i've finished every single one i've started (with the exception of the German FSI as the last half of the course was just awful, all translation drills, etc. but even that i finished reading through the rest of the course). So i know if i can continue to have time to myself to work through the course, i'll finish it.

Unit 4
Today, i did another repeat of Unit 4. The dialogs are getting easier now (though i went through the dialog section maybe 6 or 7 times before i went out of town last week), the drills are still killing me though. They introduce quite a lot of new words in the drills (it seems those are typically marked with an asterisk), this unit they added colors and time of day (morning, afternoon) as well as time nouns or whatever you call them, essentially things like tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, yesterday, the day before yesterday, etc. Though the time nouns are only presented once. I planned to do the unit twice today, but with work and my Chinese reviews, i'm exhausted now. It took me longer than i thought to finish the first runthrough. Once i can break free of the computer passes go much more quickly. Unfortunately there's been lots more stuff i need to check the PDF file for (including all the new unpresented vocab) so i've been stuck pausing and reviewing. After another two reviews or so it should be much smoother. I was hoping to do two units a week with about 6 passes through each unit, but i might have to change that to one unit every four or five days.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 13 of 32
13 March 2015 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
I finished Unit 4 today after two passes yesterday and two more today. Unfortunately, some things came up so i'll be heading out of town this weekend to help a friend out. So i won't get started on Unit 5 'til i get back.

A few comments on Unit 4, it's still a bit hard to comprehend what's being said in some of the longer drills. I often catch myself just picking out the important words (eg. the verb or the noun being drilled) and i have to try to focus on understanding the entire sentence as it's said. I'm just glad they didn't do any drills jumping between the present, past, and future. That would've really tripped me up at this point, especially as there's more focus on the formal forms which are harder for me to make out (they're just longer).

I've been having trouble keeping up with my routine lately, and this break isn't going to help. I just hope things will go a bit more smoothly once i get back.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 14 of 32
18 March 2015 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
I started Unit 5 yesterday, the first couple days are always really rough. However, some of the stuff we learned in this unit, for example using ㄴ/은/는 with verbs and adjectives to describe things, are really interesting. It's really similar to the use of 的 in Mandarin. I'm not quite sure i've got everything figured out in this unit yet, though. A lot of it seems like it wasn't discussed in the grammar section.

In other news, i'm under 800 unlearned cards in my Pleco deck (795). I really can't wait to get through this deck! Once i get through the deck i really want/need to stop spreading myself so thin and focus on my core languages. I haven't touched Spanish in ages, for example. Not since starting Mandarin 3 years ago...

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 15 of 32
20 March 2015 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
The second review of Unit 5 went much smoother, though the second to last drill is seemingly impossible. They basically ask you which one of two things is bigger/smaller/more difficult/etc. and you have to respond. So you've got to understand what they're saying, think about which one they're asking for, then give the response. All in the short pause provided. It's super hard without pausing the tape to think about it. The rest of the drills are relatively easy, with the exception of the two or three drills in the middle about adjective+ㄴ and verb+는. I just went through during my lunch break and will try to do another pass this afternoon after work.

I've also been playing around with writing a simple forum in the webspace i purchased last week modeled after HTLAL for an hour or two every night before i go to bed. I've got the basic database tables mapped out and a few other things like user registrations/logging in set up. Not sure what will come of it, but it's been fun :)

EDIT: Just finished a second runthrough for the day of Unit 5 after work.

Edited by Crush on 20 March 2015 at 11:52am

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 16 of 32
28 March 2015 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm a little bummed, i'm just about to finish watching the last episode (61) of the Mandarin dub of Avatar. I really wish there were subtitles for it as i would have loved using it for a Subs2SRS deck. I'm not really sure what to watch next. This is my sixth series i've gone through since coming back to China, i've gotten into the habit of watching an episode during lunch and sometimes during dinner as well. I'm not quite sure what to watch next.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version