Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 17 of 32
30 March 2015 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
I just started watching Wong Fei Hung - Master of Kung Fu, a series from 2005. It was originally in Cantonese but i'm watching a Mandarin dub of it. I watched the first three "Once Upon a Time in China" movies with Jet Li after a friend recommended watching them (though they said the other films weren't worth watching), so i'm familiar with the characters. So far i think it's really great, the vocabulary isn't too difficult and i can follow along pretty well.

Btw, here's the list of movies and TV series i've watched since coming to China in September:
Code:
Series:
____ 爱情公寓4季 (1-24 tv 45m)
____ 天龙八部 (1-40 tv 45m)
____ 我在北京,挺好的 (1-37 tv 45m)
____ 书剑恩仇录 (1-40 tv 47m)
____ 神话 (1-50 tv 45m)
____ 爱情保卫战 (1 episode, 45m)
____ Avatar (1-61 23m)
____ Wong Fei Hung - Master of Kung Fu (1- 42m)

Movies:
____ Once upon a time in China I (电影 2h15)
____ Once upon a time in China II (电影 1h52)
____ Once upon a time in China III (电影 1h51)
____ Lost in Thailand (1h45)
____ Love (2h07)
____ 等风来 (1h47)
____ 狼图腾 (2h01)
____ 青春之殇 (1h18)
____ Web Junkie (1h09)
For a series that's a bit simpler to understand, especially with subtitles, 我在北京,挺好的 is pretty accessible. Much more so than 爱情公寓, which has lots more slang and fast speech.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 18 of 32
09 April 2015 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I've got just over 300 words left in the HSK list. I really can't wait to get this over with. I've contemplated upping my daily new words limit from 20 to 50 just to get it done with this week, i still haven't decided for one or the other.

As a sort of sidenote, i've been reading through a Python tutorial online and playing around with it with the idea that i can maybe use it/Django to write some sort of interactive site for learning Basque. If anyone has any ideas how to present in a gamey fashion a very grammar heavy language, i'm all ears! I've also spent some time working on an alternative forum for HTLAL in case something happens to this site in the future (see the discussion in the Senior Forum Members room).

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 19 of 32
19 April 2015 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
Big news today:
I FINISHED THE HSK 6 LIST!!!!
(My deck has 5540 cards!)

Unfortunately, the battle's not quite over, the past few days i've been just getting swamped in reviews, over 300 every day, some days close to 400! I managed to trudge through knowing that the end of the tunnel wasn't too far off, but it'll likely still be quite a while before my reviews get to a comfortable level. It took me over a year and a half to get through, Pleco says at an average rate of 11 new words per day, though i started going through the Pleco deck after having just about finished the HSK 4 deck at Memrise, so i'd already studied about a quarter of the deck (each HSK level has about twice as many words as the previous one: HSK1/2 have about 150, HSK3 has about 300, HSK 4 has 600, HSK5 1300, and HSK6 2500).

I can say one thing for sure: no more rote character study for me! From now on i'll be reading, watching, and listening to Mandarin, go through the Glossika course, do some Subs2SRS study, and finally flip open all the textbooks i bought when i first got here.

Things in Basque are progressing pretty smoothly, I just finished Unit 12 i believe it was in The Basque Language and just starting lesson 27 at Ikasten. Lesson 27 is a killer, though, as it throws about 100 new verb forms at you all at once, the NOR-NORI auxiliary verb in the present and past tense. Last time i did this lesson i didn't really learn them at all, this time around i want to actually learn and remember them. If anyone's got any ideas/suggestions, i'd love to hear them...

Edited by Crush on 19 April 2015 at 5:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4145 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 20 of 32
19 April 2015 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations!
I've been curious what level does the HSK wordlist bring one to, so I sure hope you'll
describe your comprehension in some of your future posts :)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 21 of 32
20 April 2015 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, i appreciate it! I feel just like learning the HSK lists isn't enough, when reading literature there's still quite a few words i don't recognize (though i haven't tried extensively reading in the past few months, and i've picked up over a thousand words since then). However, i can still do quite a bit in the language. My comprehension is definitely much better than my speaking, but generally i can get by in conversations. When people speak in dialects, though, it's obviously much harder to understand.

Most of the TV shows and movies i've watched have been wuxia/kungfu shows, and it's really hard to understand them. Watching more recent shows like iPartment is much easier to understand but not as interesting to me. Talk and talent shows are even easier, but again i don't really find them that interesting. To be honest, i put aside most of my other study materials the past few months to just focus on finishing the list, i feel like everything else should catch up more quickly now that i've gotten this under my belt. A few weeks ago i started playing some RPGs in Mandarin and didn't have much trouble understanding them, though i still read really slowly. I can also get by chatting online alright and generally speak to my friends in Mandarin, though it's easier to speak to people i feel comfortable around.

Lately i've been watching 我师傅是黄飞鸿 (Wong Fei Hung, Master of Kung Fu). It's really great, i've already watched a bit about 黄飞鸿 in the Once Upon a Time in China series. Often times i forget to turn on the English subtitles in the beginning and it takes me several minutes to realize it. Maybe because it's dubbed (it was originally in Cantonese), but the speech is much easier to follow. There are some specific vocabulary related to plants and medicine and quite a few chengyu that i obviously don't know, though. I'm still not really satisfied with my Mandarin, but i think if i can really focus on it this year it might get to where i'd feel comfortable saying that i speak it.

In Basque, i finished Unit 13 yesterday and started Unit 14 (a review unit). I also wrote a simple Python (3) program to help me practice the NOR-NORI verbs being covered in the Ikasten course. If anyone's interested, i'll try to keep working on them and keep them updated here: https://github.com/chickendude/BasqueStudy

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5032 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 22 of 32
20 April 2015 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Hey congratulations on completing the HSK. I really need to get off my butt and do the same. I've downloaded your ANKI deck, one of them. Thanks for them. Good luck with your Mandarin.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 23 of 32
21 April 2015 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for stopping by! Glad i could help. I'll be putting together more Subs2SRS decks once my Pleco reviews get manageable again.

Not much to report today, just doing my daily rounds (Pleco, The Basque Language, Ikasten, Memrise, and Duolingo), though i did break another personal record today: I broke 100,000 reviews in Pleco! It's been a long journey...

I also did a few minutes of practice with the NOR-NORI verbs with the small program i made the other day.

Edited by Crush on 21 April 2015 at 4:46pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 24 of 32
06 May 2015 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Well lately i've been focusing on Esperanto (mostly reading and chatting online), Euskara, and Mandarin. I'm still waiting for my Mandarin reviews to drop down (yesterday i had my first day in a long time with under 300 reviews! Today it jumped back up to 306 though), but i plan to start the Glossika course this afternoon. I listened to a little bit last night and from the first track it sounds like the translations are much closer to what i've learned/hear daily around here, which i'm happy about. This time i'll go about it much more relaxed than before, though, maybe spend a half hour a day on it.

For Basque, i've been stuck at unit 28 of Ikasten for a looong time now. They introduce the past tense of 9 verbs, which is a huge number of verb forms to memorize. I added them to the Python program and have been going over them almost daily (though i often don't find time to study all the verbs daily) and also added an option to study all verbs of a group at once, which is really helpful for actually remembering them. I'm still not there and should probably add some other exercises to the mix, but it's definitely better than a week ago. I just finished Unit 20 in The Basque Language (a review lesson) and will start Unit 21 tomorrow. I'm now halfway through the course!

EDIT: Ah, I can't remember if i've mentioned it or not, but i finished "La Tempomaŝino" and a short essay called "Kial mi ne estas kristano" which wasn't as interesting as i hoped. Now i'm reading through "Fajron sentas mi interne" and enjoying it quite a bit. I can identify a bit with a lot of the character's thoughts. So far i'm just under halfway through with the book. I'm enjoying reading before bed, but often times it's hard to stop reading and i end up staying up too late.

Edited by Crush on 06 May 2015 at 8:46am

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version