Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 25 of 32
10 May 2015 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
Just spent the morning writing a small script to make formatting posts here a bit easier. :)

Mandarin:
I've started the Glossika course, the Beijing version is much closer to what i was expecting the first time around. A lot of the stuff before that sounded odd to me now is something that i'm more used to. I've gone through the first 200 sentences so far. I think i'll also start might video game studies soon, too (playing RPGs in Chinese)!

Basque:
Yesterday i finally finished unit 28 at Ikasten. I don't know all of the verbs, i can maybe (maybe) recognize them when i see them, but oh well. I don't really know how to study all of them at once, i've spent the past two weeks working on it and they just aren't sticking. I also started Unit 22 of The Basque Language yesterday. We're starting to get into a lot of new stuff and stuff that is a bit hazy for me, so the past few units have been really fun.

Esperanto:
I've been reading regularly, two nights ago i finished Fajron sentas mi interne. I enjoyed it, chapter four started off a bit boring/cheesy for me but in the end it made sense. It wasn't too difficult to read and i found it interesting, i'd recommend it to anyone else looking for a book to start getting into Esperanto literature. Now i'm reading a play called Sunleviĝo (日出) by Cao Yu. It's one of the books i ordered off Taobao a couple months back. I want to work myself up to read Pilgrimo al la okcidento.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 26 of 32
27 May 2015 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
Euskara:
The past couple weeks have been spent with more focus on Basque than Mandarin or Esperanto, though i have to admit lately i've been putting more energy into the programming side of my hobbies.

Anyway, i've finished unit 30 and the 28-30 review at Ikasten and have just finished Unit 30 of The Basque Language. As you can see, i've been spending more time with The Basque Language than with Ikasten, as i find it a bit more enjoyable I've also been writing Basque entries several times a week (i think i'm up to 10 entries) but so far haven't gotten any comments/corrections on them. Oh well.

Mandarin:
Currently the bane of my existence. My reviews have dropped to an average 250 daily, but it still takes me 40 minutes of misery to get through. I can't wait to get back into the 100 range...

Esperanto:
Not much, mostly reading and occasional chatting online.

Also, if you've got Greasemonkey installed, i've found formatting my posts to be much more pleasant using the scripts i mentioned in the last post :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 27 of 32
11 June 2015 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
I guess it's time for another update.

Euskara:
I've mostly been focusing on Basque, so i'll just mention what i've been doing here. I've been trying to write regularly at lang-8 (still haven't received any corrections though ;)). Today i finally jumped back into the Ikasten course and finished unit 31. I'm currently almost finished with Unit 36 of The Basque Language. The last couple units appear to be mostly translation exercises so i've started going through the course a bit more slowly as i find them pretty boring and demotivating. The last unit is Unit 40, so i've almost finished the book. Once i'm done i plan to put more time into the Ikasten course and eventually redo Units 20-40 of The Basque Language. I feel like there's still a large chunk of the grammar that i don't have down very well.

In other news, i started writing some beginner Basque lessons over at Duolingo to try to convince them to add Basque to the incubator at some point (and just for anyone interested). You can see what i've done so far here:
https://www.duolingo.com/comment/8977612

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 28 of 32
11 June 2015 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Btw, as a sort of speaking practice in Spanish, the past few months i've been writing/recording some rap songs. Here are the last two i've recorded, if anyone's interested:
Las muchas fachas de la opresión (lyrics)
Carta de amor (lyrics)

A note about the songs, in these last two songs i switched over to the way i generally speak with my friends, ie. using 'e' to avoid mentioning gender when there's no need to know the gender of someone (estoy contente instead of estoy contenta/o, estamos hartes de esperar, etc.). A rather long article about it can be read here, if you're interested...

I'd like to encourage other people to try making music in their target languages as well, it's fun and gives you lots of practice speaking.

Edited by Crush on 11 June 2015 at 7:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5171 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 29 of 32
11 June 2015 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I'm listening to your music. You are pretty talented... both in Spanish and in rapping. In that first clip you are speaking too fast for me to understand. Are these songs that you have practiced innumerable times?

I'm also interested that you are learning Basque. I have an interest in the "other" Spanish languages... from Galicia, Catalonia (Valenciano) and Basque. I think Spain is such a cool and diverse country. Basque seems so interesting due to its history. Languages are interesting, but, for me, anything more than my Spanish and perhaps a bit of French someday is just a dream.

anyway... you keep motivating us.    

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 30 of 32
12 June 2015 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Thanks for listening, James. It could just be that my pronunciation isn't that clear. And these songs usually happen in two stages, i spend the first day writing the actual song (the lyrics) and on the second write the music and record the vocals. There's definitely nothing "professional" about them, heh.

I'm also really interested in the regional languages of the peninsula, i've studied a bit of Galician, Catalan, and Basque. I have a special affection for Galician, to me it feels like a very ancient language, in a lot of ways it's similar to Portuguese but it just seems like it kept a lot of structures and patterns that got lost in Spanish over time. But lately i've been trying to set more realistic goals for myself. Maybe 7 or 8 years ago when i first started studying Spanish i thought i'd be able to speak dozens of languages by the time i reached thirty. Now i realize how much effort it is to learn and maintain a language, so i've had to thin the pack quite a bit and limit myself to languages i have a special interest in. Right now these core languages are Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto, and Basque. There are others (currently Galician/Catalan, Welsh, Quechua, and LSE (lengua de signos española), though these seem to change slightly from week to week), but i've got other hobbies that i'd like to work on too outside of languages, so for now they'll have to wait.

Basque is really interesting, it's structure is really cool. There are actually a lot of things that remind me of Chinese, such as how relative clauses come before the noun: etorri den gizona - the has-come man (the man who has come). The cases are interesting to me, especially how you can use many cases with the verbs, too. The verbs are the truly frightening part of Basque, but i'm (very) slowly working my way through them.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3718 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 31 of 32
19 June 2015 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Thanks for putting up the links to your recordings and lyrics. I definitely needed the written version because you sound native, which means FAST!!! ;) So it
was nice to be able to read along with your recording. I appreciate your compassion and your conviction. It is easy to go through life without convictions or
with much eroding of our convictions. Different people's convictions don't always align, but glad we can appreciate the fact that another has a conviction and
stands up for it. Wonderful work in a foreign language. You have done extremely well in making it your own! I think many of us could learn a lot from your
commitment and have benefited greately from your kindness in sharing your knowledge and helping us in our endeavors. Thanks!

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 32 of 32
03 July 2015 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the kind words, Nancy :)

No todas las canciones que he grabado son así, algunas son un poco más tranquilas, como esta (letras) y esta (letras). De todos modos gracias por escuchar, jeje. Siento que hacer esto del rap me ha ayudado a trabajar la lengua y además me ha hecho ver que muchas veces me como las vocales o no las pronuncio muy claramente y creo que ahora estoy un poco más consciente de ello y le presto más atención al hablar.

Esperanto:
In other news, the semester (fiiinally) ended and i've now moved out of my old apartment. I'm currently staying at an Esperanto center in northwest China teaching Esperanto classes everyday. In August (after the 100a UK) there'll be a Japanese Esperantist coming here giving intensive conversation classes, which i'm looking forward to. I taught classes all week and it's been a lot of fun. There are 2 people who work at the center and are taking classes and 3 people from outside the center who come in the afternoon. The person running the Esperanto center speaks Esperanto really well and it's been nice actually speaking Esperanto. They'll be going to the UK next week though.

Once the summer is over, i'll be heading to Kunming again to continue studying Mandarin.

Euskara:
I've slowed down my studies a bit of Euskara since coming to the Esperanto center, but i've been doing a little every day, mostly reviewing vocab. I finished The Basque Language and am now reviewing the last 15 or so chapters. I'm currently reviewing Unit 31. I also finished unit 33 of the Ikasten course. It's a bit easier this time through now that i've gone through The Basque Language. I did find a conversation partner, unfortunately we only spoke for a few days before i had to leave my apartment. I was happy to find out that i didn't have as much trouble understanding conversational Basque (the last few texts in the elementary reader of The Basque Language were a real confidence killer).

Edited by Crush on 03 July 2015 at 4:33pm

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version