United States
Joined 5780 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 17 of 28
25 January 2015 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
thnks for replies , especiall serpent.

It's almost impossible for me to find audiobooks. I've searched Spanish language torrent sites. All the books I've
found were computer voices. I live in Mexico City, but I've never seen any audiobooks in any big book store.

the audiobooks on youtube are abbreviated or computer voices or summaries
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 28
25 January 2015 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
Have you searched using the specific book name in Spanish? This goes for both options. To get an unabridged version, add completo or íntegro to your query. And of course audiolibro. voz humana will exclude computer voices. (based on this thread)
albalearning.com also has some amateur recordings, mostly quite short ;)

Edited by Serpent on 25 January 2015 at 9:17am

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4912 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 19 of 28
25 January 2015 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
glidefloss wrote:
thnks for replies , especiall serpent.

It's almost impossible for me to find audiobooks. I've searched Spanish language torrent
sites. All the books I've
found were computer voices. I live in Mexico City, but I've never seen any audiobooks in
any big book store.

the audiobooks on youtube are abbreviated or computer voices or summaries

Have you checked your local library? They may have a website which allows patrons to
borrow audiobooks for free.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 25 January 2015 at 3:06pm

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4256 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 20 of 28
26 January 2015 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
I started reading a novel in my second language (English) within a year. After that started reading all sorts of
mystery and detective novels. Spent a few hours every day watching children's programs. Took a while to get
into American comedies because I was brought up in a different culture.

I didn't get into reading novels in the first language Chinese until much later. Back in the days when I was in
Hong Kong, the school curriculum was so heavy that after class, elementary school students would be home
doing at least 2 hours of homework. And some parents hired private tutors or sent their kids to a tutoring
centre to help them keep up academically. Time was so tight that very few of us even had time to visit a
school / local library.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5059 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 21 of 28
26 January 2015 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
I've been learning Mandarin for 3 years and I still need a dictionary to help with my
reading. I can read and understand maybe 90% of a talk show transcript, but sometimes
only 70% of a literary novel. These percentages are probably worse, because I'm probably
biased as hell.

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5780 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 22 of 28
29 January 2015 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
good idea looking for audiobooks at library. I have heard from Mexican friends here audiobooks are hard to come
by in Spanish -- definitely most that I find are in Spain Spanish

I started Kafka's Metamorphisis LR, and it's much, much harder than Harry Potter . Maybe this explains part of my
problem. I am reading On the Road in just text too, which is almost manageable but only because I already know
the story so well -- I still get lost and mix things up

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4996 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Swedish, French, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Hungarian

Message 23 of 28
08 February 2015 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Reading a foreign language from the beginning is possible if you have a grasp of the grammar and about 200 of the most frequent words, and if you have a large amount of texts that have correct and in-context pop-up translation. So no google translation that you have to wait a few seconds for. Immediate correct translation for all words. Also the 103.456th on the frequency list.

I tried with guess-reading, dictionary or dual language but having immediate and correct pop-up translation (preferably with a system that remembers which words you don't know) works the best for me. I tried some sites with google or computer translation but many times the translation is off the mark (and comes up only after a second or two) and if you know too little of a language this is disruptive and if you know a lot already of a language you start to see all the errors in the google translation and see that it's a waste of time.

I am looking for more immediate pop-up manually translated texts like I gathered on my website bermudaword.com. With all the effort and money that has been poured in language learning systems and setting up websites with google translations we could have had millions of words worth of text manually translated correctly to learn to read languages fast.

That is if you like reading. Some people I know don't even read books in their native language so I wouldn't expect them to practice a new language by reading :-) Learning must be fun or it's just another chore.

Edited by Kees on 08 February 2015 at 5:41pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3956 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 24 of 28
08 February 2015 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Start with a really easy novel. The first novel that I read in Spanish was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was a
story that I knew well in English, which made it much easier to read. I had to skip over all of the poems/songs
because I just didn't get them. But I was able to read the story fairly well. It was my first exposure to past tense
verbs, but because I knew a lot of the roots from studying present tense verbs, they didn't trip me up too much.

I read four novels for children under 12 (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, The
Witches, and Despereaux) before I tried to read something harder. Each book was easier than the last. By the time I'd
read all four, I was prepared enough to tackle the first Harry Potter book.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version