28 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 28
08 February 2015 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
glidefloss wrote:
good idea looking for audiobooks at library. I have heard from Mexican friends here audiobooks are hard to come by in Spanish -- definitely most that I find are in Spain Spanish

This shouldn't be a problem. Of course when you start speaking, it's better to stick to one variety, but apart from heavily colloquial language, the differences aren't a big deal.
1 person has voted this message useful

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5780 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 26 of 28
09 February 2015 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
Reading was extremely hard for me so I was focusing on TV shows for a while which were much easier to
understand -- the vocabulary for one thing is easier I noticed and simpler

How do you calculate the percentage of a passage you understand? Do you include small words?

If you include all the words, I'm reading On the Road / En el camino at about 85% to 90% right now, after having
trudged my way through the first 100 pages. I'm doing a little bit of reading along with audiobooks, just half an
hour a day, for a really easy book Harry Potter 1 which I'm understanding pretty well. I think you were right
Serpent. It seems
like a had a modest but sudden jump in my reading ability --and getting there was just a matter of practice and
getting it up to
the other skills. I still have a long long way to go, but it's very fun to be reading a novel I like a lot.

Another thing I did which seemed to help a lot was copying by hand one or two pages every day.

Edited by glidefloss on 09 February 2015 at 6:44am

2 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4685 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 27 of 28
09 February 2015 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
I've only read a few books in Spanish (on my 5th right now), but my reading
comprehension is already 95%-98% depending on the book and how far I'm into it. (it
isn't that impressive, considering that 95% means you that you have to look up a word
every other sentence, and 98% means about 6-7 lookups per page)

EDIT: I've been learning Spanish semi-intensively since the end of June last year, and
started reading my first book in September (at about 5 pages per hour). I can work my
way through about 10-15 pages per hour now. My listening comprehension is still rubbish
though.

Edited by stifa on 09 February 2015 at 10:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4996 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Swedish, French, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Hungarian

Message 28 of 28
09 February 2015 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
As some other people stated already it helps a lot to read stories and listen to the audio at the same time a few times. I'm learning Hungarian and although there's hardly any cognitives, after you have read a story a few times and understand all the words it's also much easier to follow the audio, even without reading along. Once you listened to certain words enough times you will recognize them more easily, however I guess the context of the story helps a lot.

It's inescapable to have to repeat words (encounter them over and over again, while reading or listening). For me that's only bearable when I'm reading or listening to a story, otherwise the whole learning process would become way too boring for me. But however you see it if you really want to have a good contextual vocabulary (not just loose facts in your memory) in a language you'll have to read tons of books, because the learning words from context is pretty slow.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version