Diglot
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 1 of 21
09 March 2015 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
EDIT: I just joined Team Francais and Advanced English for TAC 2015 a bit late ^^

Hello everyone,
I'm Komma. As I have a new project this year, I started a new log and hope to stick with
logging and more
important stick with learning :D
Here you can find my
old log about Spanish from last year. There I also introduced myself.

Introduction
In short about me: I'm female, 20 years old, from Germany, study Chemistry, like a lot of
thing including
learning languages..

I started with Spanish a year ago and then dropped it due to more important things like
learning for exams and
doing labwork. After a long day at university, I had no strength left to study languages. I also
realized that I
always only think of the french expression now when trying to speak Spanish. However, my
French is very
inactive. That is what I want to change.

Before starting learning new languages, I want to improve/ activate the ones I already
know. That is:
French (activate and improve) and English (improve).

Following my learning/ knowledge situation, plans and goals.

French
I started French in school about 8 years or so ago and had French lessons for 3,5 years. After
that I made the
terrible mistake of not preserve my knowledge. I haven't done anything for 4,5 years now
(except of revising
some words 2 years ago, but very halfheartedly). I realized that I think of Spanish words
while trying to revise
French and vice versa. That is annoying. I do know that it's a Spanish or French word (in
most cases), but I just
mess it up anyway.
I still have a passive vocabulary knowledge (at least while reading), but listening or making
up my own
sentences is quite bad.

In school I was quite good in French, but as it was taught in school I didn't really like it.
However, now that I
started refreshing my knowledge (started with Duolingo, listened to French music) I also
realized that I do like
the sound of the language. I actually prefer it to Spanish and I have a little "hook" because I
kind of like some
French music.

My goal is to reach B1 or B2 by the end of the year. It says on my diploma (from school) that
I should have the
level A2/B1. The placement test I took at University 2 years ago stated me for something like
the middle of A2.
So B1/ B2 is realistic I think as a bit of French is still there in my brain.

I haven't made up a real plan at the moment because the exam phase just ended and I had
to take a few days
off anything.
I started with Duolingo as it is free and I get the basics. I'm not very happy with the audio
though. It's
sometimes really bad. I know, I'm not native, but it just sounds strange.
I'm waiting for French Assimil to be available in our library. I'm not ready to spend money on
it because I still
haven't really finished/ worked seriously with Assimil and I'm still not sure whether that
program is suited for
me.
I also want to get a grammar and some workbooks. I'm not sure which, therefore I search
the forum and then
make up my mind. If someone read this and has any suggestions, you're more than welcome
to reply :D
And I plan to build up and learn vocab with anki. I really liked it last time and I'm thinking
about using
sentences this time. Like that a word has a more explicit meaning than alone and if I think
about a sentence
meaning the same I think it's also good, isn't it? (I mean while revising..)

I'm also planning to take a course at university. They are not very good, but with a native
speaker and I have to
do some soft skill subject, so why not French :D

If anyone has suggestions for reactivating/ restarting a language you're welcome to reply
and I already thank
you in advance.
I really like this Forum for it's huge variety of threads and suggestions.

English
My background: I started learning in grade 4 with very basic vocabulary. My father
also did an English
quiz with me every morning. I didn't understand anything at first and rather learned the
right answers by heart,
but I think it did contribute a bit to learning English.
In secondary school (I think this is the best equivalent for German "Gymnasium"..) I was in a
biligual class. We
had 7 instead of 5 lessons English and starting in grade 7 we also had Geography, history
and politics in English.
I really like the language and as I watch a lot of TV shows I started to watch them in English
as they were
released. Otherwise I had to wait so much longer for a German synchro. It was very hard
first, but now I would
say I have almost no problem at all to understand TV shows, films etc. (I'm sure there are
exceptions like
regional dialects etc. but all I understand all the things I watch)
I also started reading English books in grade 10 or so. My first was Harry Potter 7. Also I
didn't want to wait for
the German version. I needed like half an hour for page 1 as I looked up every third word. It
got very annoying
and I started to look up less and then didn't look up anything. I understood it very well and
really learned more
words (which I used in exams at school and improved my language and also the content of
my essays :D)

I'd consider my skills in English to be very advanced. Somewhere at C1 or so (I never took a
test nor am I
familiar with the requirements for the levels, so that's just a guess for now)

My aim is to improve as I'm still not perfect and will never be. I'm doing my bachelor thesis
this year and I
might write it in English. I'm not sure yet, but it would be a good chance to improve and also
to improve
scientific English.
That is what I want to study: I want to focus on scientific terms and written English. I also
want to improve
grammar.
For grammar I still need to get (purchase or borrow it from the library) resources. I'm also
interested in other
advanced language matters. I thought about getting the book "Practical English usage". I
borrowed it before
and liked it, but I'm not sure whether it is suitable for "learning directly" from it or just look
something up.

For the scienfic side I think I will read a lot of papers. Which I have to do anyway in order to
get information
about my research topic. From that I will extract sentences, technical terms etc. and include
them in anki.

other languages
As the year goes on and if my French study will work out just fine, I'm thinking about
starting another
language. I'm not sure about Spanish and French at the same time, but there are other
languages that interest
me, like Japanese, Chinese (I know this isn't a language by it's own, but I haven't any specific
preference now),
Arabic, Hebrew... Somehow all languages with different writing systems ^^
But first I take French to a higher level.
What do you suggest about doing several languages at the same time. I mean not starting
all, but what about
being on level B2 or so in one language. Is that enough so that one could think about
starting a new one? What
about similar languages (as mentioned French and Spanish, with one at a higher level)?

"last words"
I'm sorry for this very long post. I hope I haven't frightend you and someone reads at least
my questions :D I
might ask somewhere else or find answers while searching the vast archive.

Greetings and nice studying,
Komma

Edited by Komma on 12 April 2015 at 9:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5159 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 2 of 21
10 March 2015 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Komma wrote:
[...]
What do you suggest about doing several languages at the same time. I mean not starting all, but what about
being on level B2 or so in one language. Is that enough so that one could think about starting a new one? [...]

Hi, Komma!

I believe that when you reach B2 your French will be on very solid grounds, so I really wouldn’t worry about interferences from other languages. The only drawback will be that the more languages you learn concurrently, the less time you’ll have to dedicate to each. Only you can judge for yourself whether that is a problem or not. Counterintuitively, many people here find that starting a new language is actually an advantage as it helps them stay motivated and focused on their long-term language learning programme.

Good luck with your studying!

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 3 of 21
10 March 2015 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Emme :)
I will see then, I think. While not being on a higher level and not maintaining the language and
then trying to start a new and similar language is not a good thing. That's what I found out
about while learning Spanish with some French left in my brain, but not activated enough.
I just hope that, once my French is active again, the interference will be less.
I mean I do know whether a word is French or Spanish, I just don't remember the right word
while trying to speak or write ^^

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 4 of 21
10 March 2015 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Just a little Update
Today I visited our library. That was not very productive. I borrowed quite a few books, but I
don't know whether I'm happy about them or not. I will see. The Assimil course isn't
available until next week or so (though they should be given back today... -.-). Maybe I have
more luck next week or try the other library I'm a member of.

French
Today I made the third French skill at Duolingo. It's nice to get into the language again,
though I'm not fond of the audio. But I will try out some French pods in the next days.

Here's a list of books I got today from the library:
- Teach yourself (complete) French; the German Edition by Lextra
- Etudes Francaises - Grundgrammatik (grammar)
- Grammaire Progressive du Francais - intermédiaire and advancé
- Lire et voyager: En Bretagne
- Lire et voyager: En Provence

As it is the only course I have here, I'll start with TY and flip through it and look what I still
know. I also could take a look at FSI.
The grammar is mostly for reference.
The Grammaire Progressive books are workbooks which will be good to test what I know
and what I learned.
I'm curious about the Lire et Voyager books. I think it's nice to read something like that than
course book dialogues. They also have an audio CD.

For listening I listened to some French songs today (A bit of Stromae). And a few days ago I
listened to a radio programme. However, this is not only with French music, but I listened to
French advertising. And I didn't understand much, but wasn't paying much attention either.
I think I'll use podcasts with a slower speaker.

English
I haven't started doing much here (except for reading through this forum, but as here are
not only native speakers writing, I wouldn't count that..)

I got the book "practical English usage" by Swan and a collocations dictionary. I'll flip
through them from time to time and see what I can learn from them. I know that these
books are no courses to work through but reading a few pages in the Swan and taking the
dictionary as a reference is a good thing.

redflag
Australia
Joined 3654 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 5 of 21
11 March 2015 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Hi Komma, welcome to the community of French learners here.   

I am a big Duolingo user (finished the tree, just reached Level 25 French which is the
highest and am now using it for Danish) but to be honest I turn off the audio
entirely. I think it's great for kickstarting reading, vocab and recognition of
patterns in the language but there are many, many, many, many (x 1000) superior ways
to get speaking/listening practice especially in French.

So don't be afraid just to junk the audio/speaking component of it.

Your English is fantastic, I can never hope to reach that level in another language
and am in awe. :-)   I didn't do the hard sciences but I have a Masters degree and am
familiar with academic writing so I'm happy to assist if you need any advice.

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 6 of 21
11 March 2015 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
redflag wrote:
Hi Komma, welcome to the community of French learners here.

Thank you :)

redflag wrote:
I am a big Duolingo user (finished the tree, just reached Level 25 French
which is the
highest and am now using it for Danish) but to be honest I turn off the audio
entirely. I think it's great for kickstarting reading, vocab and recognition of
patterns in the language but there are many, many, many, many (x 1000) superior ways
to get speaking/listening practice especially in French.

So don't be afraid just to junk the audio/speaking component of it.

Interesting. Do you turn it on for those listening and writing what you hear tasks? Or can you
also switch them off?
I agree, Duolingo is great for all you mentioned, and it's free. And it's fun :D I like it to get
into the language again. I just do one skill a day, which is quite slow at the moment, but to
me that doesn't matter.

redflag wrote:
Your English is fantastic, I can never hope to reach that level in another
language
and am in awe. :-)   I didn't do the hard sciences but I have a Masters degree and am
familiar with academic writing so I'm happy to assist if you need any advice.

Oh thank you. ^^ *blush* But that's only writing. I think speaking is still my weakest part.
While talking to myself at home I mostly know the words, but when I have to talk to people I
often just can't remember anything. But I don't really practice it and actually haven't had the
opportunity to talk to natives. I know there are ways to find people via internet, but I don't
trust the internet enough to do things like that. And talking to other non-natives will not
really improve my pronunciation.

redflag
Australia
Joined 3654 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 7 of 21
11 March 2015 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
Komma wrote:

Interesting. Do you turn it on for those listening and writing what you hear tasks? Or can you
also switch them off?

With the audio switched off in settings it just doesn't doesn't give you those tasks at all. So I just do exclusively the
reading/writing tasks.   Annoying the iPhone app still reads the words out loud anyway but it still doesn't give me
the task. On the website it is totally, blissfully silent. :-)

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 8 of 21
12 March 2015 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Thank you redflag for telling me the thing with the audio. It's better now.
As I've been away all day yesterday, I couldn't continue my streak in Duolingo. I continued
today then with 'food'. I realized that I have to be careful with the articles. I always make the
most errors there. Often they are the same as in German, but as the Duolingo course is from
English to French I don't think German to French and so I confuse the articles...

For a bit of audio I started with page=4">learn French by Podcast beginner. I listened to the first two lessons on the
train yesterday. I quite like them. There is still a lot of English, but these are the beginner
lessons and it's good to get into listening again. And I also learned some new words (like
l'hibou - owl). The only thing I'm not sure about is whether all the pronunciation was correct.
As they said un hibou (or at least that was what I heard) at 2:05 of the audio file it was
pronounced without the liaison. I thought it would be pronounced 'un_hibou' (_ = liaison).

Also right behind un hibou they had the verb acher which means to chop. This one was very
tricky as I mistook the English word for 'shop' and thought why don't they pronounce the 't'
because in french it's "acheter". I listened to it just now and heard the difference, but I think
that is a very bad example for a beginner lesson. Or maybe it was my headphone's fault or
it's because I'm not native to English..

But apart from that I enjoyed the podcast.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version