Cthulhu
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 7022 days ago

139 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin, Russian

Message 33 of 35
12 April 2015 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Update on Glossika Japanese: They're in the process of releasing a new version of the programme for Japanese with
better audio (And more standard textbook politeness levels instead of the plain forms they used in the first one),
and they've rebranded the craptastic quality version as "Japanese for Teenagers", which is being sold for less.
Because there wasn't already enough confusion about their products. Anyway, the new audio is quite good.

Edited by Cthulhu on 12 April 2015 at 2:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

turorudi
Triglot
Philippines
Joined 3368 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*, Japanese
Studies: Hungarian, French

Message 34 of 35
13 April 2015 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
I checked out the site again and they have added a Business module and a Daily Life
module for Mandarin. The other languages don't have these two but it would be awesome if
they did :)

So far, I am enjoying my Glossika Hungarian. Initially, I would listen to the GMS A
recording while reading along. Then GMS B and C without the PDF. Then GSR while I do
something else, like run or do laundry.

But just a tiny, tiny comment: i hope the Hungarian pronunciation was as clear as
Pimsleur's. Sometimes, I have to go back to the PDF because I didn't catch a word.
Pimsleur didn't have any PDF files but I was able to write down the dialogues just by
listening.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 35 of 35
13 April 2015 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Improbably wrote:
[...] As for those seemingly pointless 'yes' and 'no' sentences, I believe those have been included specifically to add to the usefulness of that same set of sentences for languages where simple yes/no answers are not normally used (e.g. Finnish, where you have a negative verb that conjugates for person and number, and yes/no answers often include the verb of the question).[...]
That might be true, but for most languages you'll get a ton of one word sentences. Even Mandarin which doesn't really have clear yes/no words has several sentences that are exactly the same. I also wish they would at the very least change the names in the course to common names you would find in that language. This is a huge pain in Mandarin where names have to be transliterated and usually bare very little resemblance to the original name. I just stopped translating the names and focused on the rest of the sentence.

I also like the more colloquial nature of the courses.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version