1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 21
18 April 2015 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
Of course, her Italian can never be perfect* because she pronounces all
R's uvular [erre moscia]

The first example I can find of her speaking Italian is here.

That's really very good. It's on in the background as I write this, and nothing really
sounds "off". Maybe something would be more obvious if I'd found a piece where she's
talking alone to camera.

EDIT: oops .. .should actually have watched to the end and not just listened! Link
removed.

Edited by dampingwire on 18 April 2015 at 11:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Itikar
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4464 days ago

94 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 18 of 21
21 April 2015 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
Of course probably most foreignerrs would not try to do this, but I usually try to
pick a regional accent at some point.

In general it is a bad idea in my opinion.

Learn a specific regional accent if you have got a good reason, i.e. you have been exposed to speakers of that variety. Otherwise you'd just risk to sound:
a)bad to anyone who has a different accent
b)mocking to speakers who have that accent
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 21
22 April 2015 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
My question still stands. If someone who speaks "perfect Italian" doesn't come off as native, because native Italians have distinct accents, does a native Italian without a distinct/with a jumbled accent come off as non-native? If not, what is it the native Italian whose accent is all over the place does differently from the foreigner with "perfect Italian" whose accent is equally not perfectly calibrated to a very specific location?

Well, former HTLALer Leopejo once told me that he feels like he no longer has a native language, though really he has two awesome ones, Italian and Finnish. He's lived in both countries and in several others, and while he doesn't actually sound non-native in Italian, he doesn't pass as Tuscan either and people assume he's from somewhere else in Italy. (I'm not sure whether he still sounds Tuscan to those who speak other dialects) And as I said, that was enough for him to feel like he had lost his native Italian, at least at that specific point in time. (He had just been to Florence)

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3885 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 20 of 21
23 April 2015 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
No, obviously you didn't. If you had said it I wouldn't have had to
ask.

My question still stands. If someone who speaks "perfect Italian" doesn't come off as
native, because native Italians have distinct accents, does a native Italian without a
distinct/with a jumbled accent come off as non-native? If not, what is it the native
Italian whose accent is all over the place does differently from the foreigner with
"perfect Italian" whose accent is equally not perfectly calibrated to a very specific
location?

NO, obviously not...you would still have a natural flow in speech, so no matter which
accent you have or you don't.. you would still sound like a born and raised Italian.

This natural flow plus the prononunciation makes the difference.

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4183 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 21 of 21
29 April 2015 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Try to put on the accent you hear in the RAI or Mediaset and you will be fine. IT is true that almost
everybody here in Italy has an accent , but it is not so strong as you may think . Most of the people have
just a light accent and they sound actually pretty close to what you usually here in Tv . It's really not nice ,
in my opinion, to have a very strong regional accent while I think it is enriching to have just a hint of it .

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version