Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 31
27 May 2015 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, I used wrong "terminology". By "fun" I mean a language that can already be studied
using real input and whatever else aside of the course continuing. My bad, it sounded
wrong.

Your final combination looks great and passionate. I'm looking forward to reading about
your progress.
1 person has voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3330 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 18 of 31
27 May 2015 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

2. All numbers should be written in words at the beginning of sentences:
Four hundred and fifty women were selected.
Sixty miles separates the two warring factions.

I've of course heard of the rule but never understood its logic. If a word which should obviously be written as a figure begins a sentence, then clearly it just means that a word which should obviously be written as a figure begins a sentence! Example sentences which violate "rule 2" with impunity:

- 2015 has been a good year.
- 2016 comes after 2015.
- 1234.56 EUR have been withdrawn.
- 12,345,678 byte(s) copied.

Following rule 2 to "transform" these optimal sentences to "spelled-out versions" would transform perfectly readable sentences to visual abominations. Readable, perhaps, but each spelled-out word would strike my eyes like thousands of tiny needles (or perhaps it should be 1000s of tiny needles according to another rule in the list). Oh, and don't even try to arbitrarily rearrange the sentences to somehow avoid the numeric term coming first. Face it. A word which we obviously spell out using digits came first. Life goes on.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 27 May 2015 at 11:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3880 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 19 of 31
29 May 2015 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Now, should I rather follow plan 1 or plan 2?

I also hesitated to take Polish instead of English, but this would mean studying 4 weak
languages and 2 strong languages, which I suppose would be a worse idea than what I
proposed initially, wouldn't it?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 20 of 31
30 May 2015 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
You would be studying six languages, of which 3 or 4 weak ones. Even *I* balk at that
idea, and it's not like I don't have a major amount of languages to deal with on any
given day. One weak language is hard enough, two is stretching it, three is enough to
kill a man and feed him poison for the rest of his life.

Four? I doubt even the greatest polyglots among us would dare.

I do learn languages simultaneously, but that is given that I can use native materials
for the others.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 31
30 May 2015 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
That depends on what weak languages are and what you do with them :)
Prof Argüelles studied like 20-30 languages at some point, 15-20 min per day per language.
For me the limit only applies with active skills (maybe 2 langs per day, or three in tiny chunks). And with your set of languages you can totally do authentic materials in German/Italian/Esperanto. (if you want to work on the active skills a lot, then Polish gets more iffy... but at the same time, what better time for working on weak languages than holiday?)

Edited by Serpent on 30 May 2015 at 4:51am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 22 of 31
30 May 2015 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
I always count active skills.

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3880 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 23 of 31
30 May 2015 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
It's true that even 3 weak languages is a lot... But I would indeed mainly focus on passive skills, and train myself with reading and listening, though I would also try to talk to myself in these languages. Furthermore, I've ready reached weak B1ish level in Italian, and A2ish in German. I have even tried again yesterday to speak them. I still have a fairly good command of the basic grammar (thanks to my level in the strong and related languages), so they are not that weak. I call them weak because I can't read Harry Potter 1 yet, but a real weak language would rather be Polish, for which I don't even have A1.

I had also thought of working on one assimil lesson each day for three months for Polish, but would it really help, if I already have so many languages going on at the same time?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 24 of 31
30 May 2015 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
It would help, yes. You just need to stick with it. Don't aim to do a lesson every single day (or at least don't feel bad when you don't do that).

You'll see connections with all your languages btw. Well, not sure about Dutch.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version