SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4299 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 41 of 43
09 March 2016 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
I took the test. Its first part was written and was meant to evaluate reading and grammar. I scored 48%. It's supposed to test all levels from A1 to C2. I must say that I scored higher at the lower third and sort of 'inferred' the answers of the latter half on the basis of the languages I know, rather than actually knowing the correct answers.

The speaking was next. It's been the very first time I keep a German conversation since I started to study 36 weeks ago. The teacher started asking me questions and it all turned into an actual conversation. I was pretty much unable to keep a conversational pace as she spoke quickly and asked many things. She was constantly interrupting my speech to ask stemming questions. I was surprised I could actually understand everything she was saying, as I was unsure I could do that. On the other hand, the pace of her conversation didn't allow me to think or mentally translate. As I'm still not able to speak without carefully thinking the sentences beforehand, my speech was fairly broken.

In the end, she told me my passive skills are way above my active skills, which it's unsurprising. Speaking is my weakest skill and she thinks I should go for the course A2.1. She also said that if I feel brave enough I could go for the A2.2, although I'd be unlikely to keep the pace with regard to speaking.

So I followed the teacher's recomendation and signed in for an 8-week Goethe-Institut A2.1 course.

Do you know what? I'm happy! I completed the A1 level last month on my own. This was after 33 weeks of study totalising 87 hours 50 minutes. It's been 101 hours of self-study so far, some of them dedicated to listening, watching and reading and none to practise speaking. After this my speaking is ready for A2 level and the rest of my skills are at a high A2 or borderline B1.

I am now ready for a Goethe-Institut course! It will start late next April.
1 person has voted this message useful

Dagane
Triglot
Joined 4299 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 

Message 42 of 43
14 March 2016 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
35th & 36th weeks results
- Menschen A1.1 textbook: 12/12 lessons studied
- Menschen A1.1 book of exercises: 12/12 lessons studied
- Menschen A1.2 textbook: 12/12 lessons studied
- Menschen A1.2 book of exercises: 12/12 lessons studied
- Das Idealpaar: 15/15 stories read
- Deutsch lernen Extra (TV series) 13/13 watched
- Susanne (TV series) 10/10 watched
- Audiobooks I have finished: "Frankenstein", "Heidelberger Herbst", "Leo&Co: Die Neue","Anna", "Ein Mann zu viel", "Der Märchenkönig", "Die Aussage des Randolph Carter", "Die Nachbarn", "Oh, Maria", "Erich ist verschwunden", "Leo & co: Die Prinzessin", "Die Rauche des Computers"

- Grammatik Intensivtrainer A1 9/37 lessons studied
- Das Wunschhaus: 1/3 stories read
- New vocabulary in Anki: 20 flashcards this week (1479 in total)
- Time of study: 3h 59min this week (105h 20min in total)

Dagane
Triglot
Joined 4299 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 

Message 43 of 43
13 April 2016 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
I have been slacking lately and also wondering whether I should take this log to the alternative forum. I have finally decided to do it so this may be the last update here.

My already fading trip to Germany was AMAZING! I enjoyed it a hell of a lot. As important as that, I'm proud to say I could cope with 90% of everyday situations without using English. I understood people and, most importantly, I was understood! This encourages me to take my German to the next level!

37th, 38th, 39th & 40th weeks results
- Menschen A1.1 textbook: 12/12 lessons studied
- Menschen A1.1 book of exercises: 12/12 lessons studied
- Menschen A1.2 textbook: 12/12 lessons studied
- Menschen A1.2 book of exercises: 12/12 lessons studied
- Das Idealpaar: 15/15 stories read
- Deutsch lernen Extra (TV series) 13/13 watched
- Susanne (TV series) 10/10 watched
- Audiobooks I have finished: "Frankenstein", "Heidelberger Herbst", "Leo&Co: Die Neue","Anna", "Ein Mann zu viel", "Der Märchenkönig", "Die Aussage des Randolph Carter", "Die Nachbarn", "Oh, Maria", "Erich ist verschwunden", "Leo & co: Die Prinzessin", "Die Rauche des Computers"

- Menschen A2.1 textbook: 1/12 lessons studied
- Menschen A2.1 book of exercises: 0/12 lessons studied
- Grammatik Intensivtrainer A1 9/37 lessons studied
- Das Wunschhaus: 1/3 stories read
- New vocabulary in Anki: 15 flashcards this week (1494 in total)
- Time of study: 1h 54min this week (176h 14min in total)

See you in the new forum!

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version