Persian or Farsi

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
99 messages over 13 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 12 13 Next >>
alexptrans
Pentaglot
Israel
Joined 6559 days ago

208 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: English, Modern Hebrew, Russian*, French, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Icelandic

Message 9 of 99
09 October 2006 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:

Equally likely, it could be a passing fad. The average person on the street (in the anglophone world) has never heard of "Farsi" and couldn't tell you whether it's a language or a vegetable. He will, however, have heard of "Persian" or at least think that's a reasonable name for a language spoken by Persians.

You're absolutely right; it could just be a passing fad.

I have a related question, absolutely no offense meant: will the average English-speaking person on the street know that the term "Persians" equals "Iranians" or that Persia is Iran?
1 person has voted this message useful

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6571 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 99
09 October 2006 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
alexptrans wrote:
I have a related question, absolutely no offense meant: will the average English-speaking person on the street know that the term "Persians" equals "Iranians" or that Persia is Iran?

No, I didn't know that. Thank you for clearing that up.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6684 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 11 of 99
09 October 2006 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Keith wrote:
alexptrans wrote:

No, I didn't know that. Thank you for clearing that up.

I was once told that Persian is an ethnic group while the term 'Iranian' refers merely to a citizen of Iran, regardless of ethnic background (much as one can differentiate between 'Jew' and 'Israeli'). Could one of the native Iranians please clarify as my information may be completely wrong? :)

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6416 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 12 of 99
09 October 2006 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
"Persian" is not equal to "Iranian". All Persians are Iranian but all Iranians are not Persian. We have Iranians who are Armenian, Turk, Arab, Jewish etc. Up to 150 years ago, Iran has been a much bigger country. so it's not strange to have for example Turkish Iranian.

When someone says he's Persian he means to be Iranian. But when he says to be Iranian he could be Persian, Turk, etc.

By the way, all Iranians are not Muslim. We have Christian, Jewish, and Zoroastrian as well.

So what dear lady_skywalker wrote is completely right.

- Hope it clears up the issue

Edited by Alijsh on 09 October 2006 at 11:04am

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6562 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 13 of 99
09 October 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I was once told that Persian is an ethnic group while the term 'Iranian' refers merely to a citizen of Iran, regardless of ethnic background (much as one can differentiate between 'Jew' and 'Israeli').

That sounds about right to me, but I think "Persian" has both uses: ethnicity or citizenship. (I'm obviously not Iranian, but it's as much a question of English usage.)

"Iran" comes from the Persian "Land of the Aryans". I've heard hearsay that they began promoting the alternate name for Persia during the thirties to present themselves favourably to the Nazis as a Caucasian (Aryan) race. I can't find a source, however.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 09 October 2006 at 11:08am

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6416 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 14 of 99
09 October 2006 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Dear Captain Haddock,

Ferdowsi says: cho "Irân" nabâšad, tane man mabâd. And Ferdowsi lived more than 1000 years ago. Where were Nazis at that time?

It has nothing to do with Nazis. We have never called our country as Pârs (Persia). It has been always Iran. It has been first Âyriyanâm Vaeja » Irânvej » Irân. Iran has had four capitals. One of them has been in Pârs province where Persepolis is. The Greeks called this province as Perse. Pârs is still a province of Iran. It's main city is Shirâz that's well-known to tourists.

AML
United States
Joined 6619 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 15 of 99
09 October 2006 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Let's not forget Ardaschir's thread on the persian language:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=69&PN=1

alexptrans
Pentaglot
Israel
Joined 6559 days ago

208 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: English, Modern Hebrew, Russian*, French, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Icelandic

Message 16 of 99
09 October 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Here's a link to a Wikipedia article called about the Persia/Iran issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_naming_dispute

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version