1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 97 of 99
04 November 2006 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
AML wrote:
...Actually, Farsi is NOT English. It's Persian. "Farsi" is how you say
"Persian" in Persian. Farsi = Français = Deutsch = Espanol

Well, Someone said earlier "Farsi" is in the Oxford dictionary of the English language , it is likely to be English then , isn't it ? ;-)   We also eat "popcorn" in France and we say "Je mange du popcorn (beuaârk !) " and not "du maïs soufflé".
We also have the issue in France. The only dictionary I have to hand is a popular one that states "Farsi: ling : Persan" I infer that "Farsi" is French. But we buy "des tapis persans" (persian carpets) and not "des tapis farsis", whereas we eat "des tomates farcies" (meat-stuffed tomatoes) that are not persian.
1 person has voted this message useful

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6782 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 98 of 99
04 November 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:
[QUOTE=lady_skywalker] I remember 'pizza' being one of those words. Eradicating foreign loan words to replace them with 'purer' Persian-derived words doesn't sound very flexible to me (the French are also guilty of this).

here I have to take exception, you know how we are, we, the Gallic, oops French: I agree that the Académie française who rules what is and what is not appropriate French language, is rigid; And anyhow receives little attention. But what they (in my humble opinion) do right is try to support existing French words against foreign words that mean the same.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6550 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 99 of 99
04 November 2006 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:

The only dictionary I have to hand is a popular one that states "Farsi: ling : Persan" I infer that "Farsi" is French.

From the ling, I infer that "Farsi" is mainly used by linguists, and Persan is the proper French name.

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version