jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6417 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 65 of 99
12 October 2006 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
In contrast, neither air nor port are familiar for us. so we coin words for them. Persian does not have the same background as English. I think it's now clear why we create words. Latin, French, English, etc. words are not familiar for us or as I already wrote meaningful and comprehensible.

Edited by Alijsh on 12 October 2006 at 3:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 66 of 99
12 October 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
That's fine and completely understandable. The word for airport in Slavonic languages is usually something taken from the native vocabulary too. (e.g. Polish: lotnisko; Slovak: letisko)

However it's foolish to become insistent on the clear benefit of an arbitrary Academy when it's obvious that a lot of languages and their speakers do fine without it and honestly don't understand the need since languages keep evolving anyway.

This insistence is what irritated me and Lady Skywalker.

That_Guy
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6893 days ago

74 posts - 87 votes 
Studies: Hindi, English*, Spanish

Message 67 of 99
12 October 2006 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:

Rigid? Who has told that it's rigid? Academy does not impersion language. Persian, French, Spanish and other languages that have Academy are as free, felxible, and inviting as English.

Do you truly believe the French language accepts foreign words and influences as readily as English? Hardly.

Alijsh wrote:

Oxford and Webster are written by certain people. So there are people in charge with English just like Persian and French although you don't call them academics.

No, you have the wrong idea. A dictionary is much more fluid than an academy. Also, Webster and Oxford aren't "in charge" of the English language. They simply provide a definitive list of which words are currently being used on a daily basis. The words that are in these dictionaries are there because English speakers as a whole use them, not because a group of people chose them.

Alijsh wrote:

So Iranian society is different from yours. We enjoy using this unique ability of Persian.

Anglophone (English-speaking) society is different than yours. English has a great degree of flexibility which allows users to choose a word that best fits whatever situation we're in. We enjoy using the unique flexibility of English.    

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6479 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 68 of 99
13 October 2006 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
If I start learning Mandarin some day, I'll be telling my hair-dresser (oops, barber) that I am learning Chinese and let her (him) ask for more information.

I was thinking about this, and I've decided you're right. If I were in such a situation, I would forego accuracy for comprehension, and say Chinese instead of Mandarin. In fact, I just made a post where I did the same. When approaching someone speaking Chinese, I could ask if they were speaking Mandarin or Cantonese...but when speaking to someone who wasn't necessarily either, or a language afficionado (like the ladies and gents here), I'd say Chinese, for clarity.

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6417 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds

Message 69 of 99
13 October 2006 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
That_Guy wrote:

Do you truly believe the French language accepts foreign words and influences as readily as English? Hardly.

No, I don't. Maybe that's why you think Persian Academy is the same rigid. No. They just propose. And as I already wrote, they even ask ordinary people to send their suggestions. They announce it in newspapers. We are in close contact.

That_Guy wrote:

Anglophone (English-speaking) society is different than yours. English has a great degree of flexibility which allows users to choose a word that best fits whatever situation we're in. We enjoy using the unique flexibility of English.

As I already wrote, we are selective as well. They don't watch your mouth to see what word comes out.

For us flexibility means coining meaningful words for unfamiliar English, French etc. words.

Dear Chung,

I must add that coining new words does not necessarily result in pure Persian words because meaningfulness and comprehensibility is in first place. For example, for cloning we have shabihsâzi (litt. similar-making) where shabih is Arabic.

The process of coining words is quite straightforward. It's usually replacing Latin etc. affixes with their Persian one, and translating the rest. e.g. The Persian for trans- is tarâ » transport: tarâbari, transpose: tarânehâde, tarâgozârde; anti-: pâd » antibody: pâdtan, anticlockwise: pâdsâatgard (again sâat is Arabic). -logy: -shenâsi » biology: zistshenâsi, radiology: partowshenâsi; (radiotherapy: partwodarmâni); geology: zaminshenâsi

Anybody can do it, and there's no need to be a member of Academy. Anybody can send suggestions to Academy. Therefore, there are people who are even more active than Academy members e.g. http://iranianlanguages.com/sareh/index.htm that apparently live in the USA.

Edited by Alijsh on 13 October 2006 at 1:36am

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6479 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 70 of 99
13 October 2006 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
About the whole Farsi/Persian debate at large, I have to say I'm leaning toward Fanatic's post in the other forum. Sure, I'd prefer the more accurate of the two, but in the end, there are so many other things to worry about in life (and in language) that I'm not sure this is worth the trouble. Personally, I'd rather have someone have an open mind about Iran the country and Iranis the people while saying Farsi Farsi Farsi all day long, than saying Persian, following gov't agitprop (of any kind), and urging this gov't to wage war against that gov't and so forth. I'm a fan of communication. If saying Farsi facilitates that, I'm all for it. We can iron out the kinks after we stop each other from trampling the cloth underfoot.

Edited by lengua on 13 October 2006 at 1:11am

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6417 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds

Message 71 of 99
13 October 2006 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Dear lengua,

We are not discussing on Persian and Farsi. It has been closed on page 6. If you had read posts then you didn't write such things. You can use whichever you like.

By the way, if you don't like this thread don't follow it. Nobody has made you.

Don't write whatever comes to your mind.

Now that you are a fan of communication, it's not good to call people disagreeing you as fanatic, following gov't agitprop, lacking open mind etc. It's anti-communication.

Edited by Alijsh on 13 October 2006 at 1:37am

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6651 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 72 of 99
13 October 2006 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Alijsh, you don't have the authority to "close" discussions. Lengua has every right to comment on the original topic. If you want to open another discussion, do it properly by creating a new topic.

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version