141 messages over 18 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 17 18 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 141
18 December 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Wow 0_0 Some of you might know that the longest Finnish word is [supposed to be]      epäjärjestelmällistyttämä ttömyydellänsäkäänköhänkin, that's why it's in my signature at a forum. I wanted to make it my signature at another one too and just out of curiosity tried to write it down myself (I read it before that, though). And I typed it correctly!!
Edit: Don't know why, but when I try to post the long word a space gets in between -hän- and -kin... It's not a typo.

Edited by Serpent on 18 December 2006 at 4:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6704 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 141
20 December 2006 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Congratulations. I wouldn't be able to memorise and write that correctly myself. At least I'd need to go through it and practice a few times.

In principle there is no limit to how long a word can be in Finnish. You have total freedom in stringing them together into longer and longer combinations.

The one you give there is a good example, but it could easily be made even longer. But it proves the point as it stands so there is no need to. However it is not a "real" word in the sense that anyone would actually use it.

But you can run into some monstrously long ones in real life too, like "aseistariisuntaneuvottelulautakunta" (committee for arms reduction talks).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 141
23 December 2006 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Just did a grammar overview, here's the list of the grammar items I'm going to concentrate on (some of them are new to me, eg 5th infinitive, others are quite known, but I still don't always use them automatically). I did grammar excercises to check how well I know some of these items and copied the sentences in which I made mistakes or wasn't sure that my answer was correct.

vertailuasteet

objekti

potentiaali

ajanilmaus: koeta tosiaan tulla kolmeen mennessä

muu, toinen:
Aina sinun pitää tehdä kaikki toisella tavalla kuin me.
Käytyäni saunassa olen kuin toinen ihminen.
Hän puhui vain minulle, eikä kenellekään muuulle kuulijalle.

passiivi - perfekti, pluskvamperfekti, konditionaali, potentiaali

peruslukujen ja järjestyslukujen taivutus, lukujen käyttö

murtoluvut

5. infinitiivi

suffiksit
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 12 of 141
24 December 2006 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Yay, finished reading The Da Vinci Code(and listening along to the audiobook). The book seems very nice to me:-) Going to reread some interesting parts with a dictionary, looking up every unknown word, listening to the recording a few times until I can understand everything without checking the text and maybe shadowing them then.

Can anyone tell me why these sentences (from excercises) are wrong?

Keneltä kaikki nämä lahjat ovat tulleet? Eivät keneltäkään. Minä ostin ne sinulle. (ei was marked correct)

Keneltä sä sait * ?

• kukka
• kukkia (correct answer)
• kukan (your response)
• kukkaa

and I've read mi is a very old way to say mikä..does min mean minkä then?

gidler
Finland
Joined 6433 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Finnish*

Message 13 of 141
24 December 2006 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Can anyone tell me why these sentences (from excercises) are wrong?

Keneltä kaikki nämä lahjat ovat tulleet? Eivät keneltäkään. Minä ostin ne sinulle. (ei was marked correct)

"Eivät" doesn't sound exactly wrong, although "ei" in its place is more natural. Quite tricky. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this.

Serpent wrote:
Keneltä sä sait * ?

• kukka
• kukkia (correct answer)
• kukan (your response)
• kukkaa

"Kukan" and "kukkia" are both correct. It's just a difference between singular and plural. I guess people usually give more than one flower though. :)

Serpent wrote:
and I've read mi is a very old way to say mikä..does min mean minkä then?

I've never seen "min" anywhere, so probably no. I suppose it would be comprehensible in context though and I haven't read much old literature or poetry so I can't say for sure.

gidler
Finland
Joined 6433 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds

Message 14 of 141
24 December 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I think I figured this out. It's a matter of emphasis. This is very hard for me to explain but I'll try.

"Eivät keneltäkään" emphasizes the presents/gifts. This is because in "Lahjat eivät tulleet keneltäkään" the "eivät" is inflected to the plural of the "lahjat".

"Ei keneltäkään" emphasizes the giver of the presents, because the "ei" is in singular with the "keneltä". And this is the better choice here because the person asking the question is most likely interested in knowing who gave the presents.

If I wasn't able to express this clearly enough, please tell. I can construct a more detailed example for you. (By the way, now that I think of it the "ei/eivät keneltäkään" is a very peculiar and hard-to-translate form. I guess it can be sometimes translated as "from no one in particular".)

Edited by gidler on 24 December 2006 at 4:01pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 141
25 December 2006 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
that "min" is from the christmas song Tonttu. the line is:
Katsoo metsää, min hongat on tuulensuojana kartanon

And thank you so much for explaining the ei/eivät thing, I got it now. Although I don't understand why this form is translated as "from no one in particular" if in this context the person bought them himself/herself. Or did you mean just the form without any context?

gidler
Finland
Joined 6433 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds

Message 16 of 141
25 December 2006 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
that "min" is from the christmas song Tonttu. the line is:
Katsoo metsää, min hongat on tuulensuojana kartanon

Yes, the "min" in that song definitely means "minkä" so you were right. :) However I would prefer to write that as "min'" (with an apostrophe) because it feels more like a lyrical abbreviation than an old version of the word.

Serpent wrote:
And thank you so much for explaining the ei/eivät thing, I got it now. Although I don't understand why this form is translated as "from no one in particular" if in this context the person bought them himself/herself. Or did you mean just the form without any context?

Whoops, my example translation indeed didn't work in that context. Actually I can't think of a way to translate the sentence into English without losing some of the original meaning, because I suspect that the literal translation "From who have all these presents come? From no one. I bought them for you." doesn't work in English. (I might be wrong about this.) Anyway the meaning here could be something like "from no one who isn't present" and depends on context.

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version