Joined 6704 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 57 of 141
04 February 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
So for example if it was specially arranged so that you could meet the person, can one say "Hän on tavattavilla"?

No, you couldn't, but I can't explain why. I was just trying to explain what the difference "felt like" and I realise it may not help much.

Serpent wrote:
I was asking when I should use adessive and when inessive with such expressions in instructive.

OK, I see what you mean now, but I haven't got an answer. You might even have to learn each of those as an individual case (?).

Serpent wrote:
After some googling it seems to me that in sentences starting with "onko mahdollista", "on mukava", "on hyvä" etc the object is in the nominative... why isn't this mentioned in textbooks

You mean constructions like: "on mukava /other verb/ + /object/", right? - I am not so sure it is as simple as that. I might be wrong but I think in at least some cases it would depend on what the "other verb" is too.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 58 of 141
04 February 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Yes I meant these constructions. But I think that "other verb" could demand partitive or illative or elative or perhaps genitive in sentences like antaa+gen+verb, but if the verb does demand accusative, how can it have different forms in the same situation :/ I meant to say "the accusative object is in the nominative".

some more confusing sentences...
Astua taapersimme kylää kohti.
He vaelsivat vaeltamistaan.
If I understood the German explanation correctly [and my German is much worse than my Finnish], such constructions show the duration of the action, could anyone post a couple of more examples? are such expressions common in usual speech? (btw, are those "tulin tehneeksi" expressions common?)

Edited by Serpent on 04 February 2007 at 2:21pm

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6704 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 141
05 February 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
..., but if the verb does demand accusative, how can it have different forms in the same situation :/ I meant to say "the accusative object is in the nominative".

I honestly don't remember the names of all the forms. But if you give a specific example there is always a chance we can say something about it.

Serpent wrote:
some more confusing sentences...

Astua taapersimme kylää kohti. - We strolled towards the village at a leisurely and relaxed pace. (ie. slowly and in no hurry)
He vaelsivat vaeltamistaan. - They just kept roaming around and around. (ie. for a long time)
Other examples:
- istua pöllähti, juoda litkutti, hmmm. there must be many more possibilities but can't think of any right now. EDIT: btw "taapertaa" can be used with almost any verb related to moving about on foot: tulla taapersi, mennä taapersi, kävellä taapersi etc. - and another few here: itkeä parkui, kaatua rösähti, laulaa honotti, ...
- Hän yritti yrittämistään - he tried very hard, or kept on trying and trying.
Serpent wrote:
are such expressions common in usual speech? (btw, are those "tulin tehneeksi" expressions common?)

You won't perhaps hear constructions like the ones above every day but they are not especially rare either. And expressions like "tulin ostaneeksi" are quite common.

Edited by Hencke on 05 February 2007 at 12:50pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 60 of 141
05 February 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
well accusative is the case in which the resultative object is used. in the singular it has the same form as either genitive ("usual sentences" like Ostin kirjan) or nominative in passive sentences - Kirja ostettiin, imperative sentences - Osta kirja! Ostakaa kirja!, must-sentences - Minun pitää ostaa kirja) and if understand correctly also "on kiva/hyvä/mielenkiintoista"-sentences - On kiva ostaa uusi kirja. at least it wouldn't be logical if it had the nominative form with mahdollista and genetive with e.g. kiva, the only different is the adjetive:/ Luckily in the plural it's much easier, accusative plural always has nominative plural's form. Then there are some verbs that always demand genitive, I can think only of antaa atm but I've encountered some more. These are of course never followed by nominative or accusative. My favourite example of this is a line from a Nightwish song: Anna minun tulla siksi miksi lapseni minua luulee, which combines two cases in which accusative never has the same form as genitive.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 61 of 141
06 February 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Finished that textbook in German, some excercises still undone though and some more practice still needed for the new stuff I learnt.

badger2
Finland
Joined 6421 days ago

156 posts - 156 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 62 of 141
07 February 2007 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Did that guy ever get the PDF's up on his site?

Is there some way I can find them somewhere else?

The mp3's are well and good, but I don't have anything to follow along with.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 63 of 141
08 February 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Seems not. Haven't seen them anywhere. In most cases everything went just fine without the pdf's though :)

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6704 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 64 of 141
08 February 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
I saw a message on the site somewhere to the effect that the texts were being digitised. But as it is voluntary work noone can tell how long it may take.

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version