Joined 6340 days ago

82 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: Finnish, English

Message 25 of 33
20 April 2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Ok. I think I got it.

I found this in a website:

'When the accusative object is used with the present tense, the action is in the future.

Luen kirjan.      I'll read the book.
Katson elokuvan. I'll watch the movie.
Syön voileivän.   I'll have a sandwich.

When the partitive object is used with the present tense, the action is in the present.

Luen kirjaa.      I am reading a book.
Katson elokuvaa. I am watching a movie..
Syön voileipäa.   I am eating a sandwich.'

Is it correct?

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 33
20 April 2007 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Yes it's correct, but when the partitive object is used it's not necessarily because of the present tense, it's also used with uncountable nouns - juon kahvia can mean both I'll drink some coffee and I'm drinking coffee; in negative sentences the object is always in partitive; some verbs are always used with partitive, eg odottaa. But if none of the above is true about a particular sentence, you can be sure it's present :)

FallingStar
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 6340 days ago

82 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: Finnish, English

Message 27 of 33
20 April 2007 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
juon kahvia can mean both I'll drink some coffee and I'm drinking coffee...

And how do you distinguish in which tense the sentence is, then? =( I mean, if someone comes to you and tells you "juon kahvia", how would you translate that phrase? "I'm drinking coffee" or "I'll drink coffee"?

Edited by FallingStar on 20 April 2007 at 8:36am

Aapo
Diglot
Finland
tarpeet-on.blog
Joined 6257 days ago

29 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Swedish, Japanese

Message 28 of 33
20 April 2007 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
It depends on the context. For example, if the person is holding a cup, then
it's "I'm drinking coffee". And if he was asked a question to which "I'll drink
coffee" is a sane answer, then that's what it is.

However, if I overheard that phrase only and had no idea of the context, I
would intuitively take it to mean "I drink coffee" or "I'm a coffee drinker".

Edited by Aapo on 21 April 2007 at 7:21am

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6682 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 33
20 April 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Context is the key, yes. Like if someone is asking "would you like coffee or tea?" and you answer "minä otan kahvia" "I (will) take (=have) coffee" it is clear that you mean the future. But if the context is not clear enough you would need to use a time indication.

And note that there is not always an object there to help: "menen elokuviin" - "I (will) go to see a film" is most likely future, because an ongoing action "I am on my way..." would be expressed as "olen menossa".

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 33
23 April 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
I hope it's ok to ask here, as this has just been discussed...
in these lines, do only the first and last one denote present actions while the others denote future (except of course en jäänyt)?

Ja joka luojan päivä kannan tätä surua
Annan sille vallan, ruokin sydänverellä
Puren hampaat yhteen ja itken silmät päästäni
En jäänyt aivan yksin, on suru lohtunani

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6682 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 33
23 April 2007 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
in these lines, do only the first and last one denote present actions while the others denote future (except of course en jäänyt)?

Good example ! And the answer is of course no, as I suspect you already know ;o). None of those are future actions as such.

But whether they are present actions or not could be a matter of how we choose to define things. They are repetitive habitual actions: "every day I do ...", and as such they happened yesterday, today, and will happen tomorrow too. They are not necessarily happening at the moment of speaking, but the habit of doing them every day is in force, so it is a "present" and ongoing state of affairs in that sense.

I don't know how this is explained in the grammar book but I'd see it as a special case where you cannot directly apply the above rules of future vs. present.

Edited by Hencke on 23 April 2007 at 4:16pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 32 of 33
24 April 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot. I was a bit confused about these lines, as it sounds really weird if these rules are applied :)
by the way, I remember there was a sentence "Näen meren" in an excercise (the task was to choose the correct case), is this one actually correct? I know that nähdä usually takes the accusative, but doesn't it here imply that the person sees the whole sea, and unless one is looking at the map or travelling in the space :D, I don't think there are many more contexts in which it could be used.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version