980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 97 of 113
23 June 2009 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
ILuvEire wrote:
FrenchSilkPie wrote:
Does anyone know any polygot under 18?
Like a teenager?

I was just wondering, because it seems like everyone here who is a polygot is over 20, and it would be nice to know that I am not the only teenager who wants to learn a language.

I sure hope I am not the youngest one here!

I've been a polyglot since I was 12, learning ASL and Italian. Now I'm only 15, but I feel that three years has taught me a lot. :D

Don't worry you aren't alone.

Hi Frenchsilkpie

Not everyone here are over 20: I'm 17, although i'm not polyglot (it depend of the defintion, maybe I'm).

Hi ILuveire
I want to learn sign language as well. is it difficult and how you remember the signs? With whom you practised it, have you some deaf freinds? I havne't, unfortunatly.
1 person has voted this message useful

ILuvEire
Diglot
United States
iluveire.wordpress.cRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5445 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, Sign Language
Studies: Esperanto, Italian, Arabic (Written), Danish, Japanese

Message 98 of 113
24 June 2009 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
Jar-ptitsa wrote:

Hi ILuveire
I want to learn sign language as well. is it difficult and how you remember the signs? With whom you practised it, have you some deaf freinds? I havne't, unfortunatly.

Sign language is not awfully difficult, I find sign vocabulary much easier to remember than spoken language vocabulary. I also have quite a few Deaf friends, there are lots of groups to learn sign language, where you can go to meet some Deaf or hard of hearing people, or at least other signers.

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5708 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 99 of 113
24 June 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
ILuvEire wrote:
Jar-ptitsa wrote:

Hi ILuveire

Sign language is not awfully difficult, I find sign vocabulary much easier to remember than spoken language vocabulary. I also have quite a few Deaf friends, there are lots of groups to learn sign language, where you can go to meet some Deaf or hard of hearing people, or at least other signers.

It's great that you've quite a few deaf freinds. How can you find those groups of deaf or hard of hearing people? My school's special school but there's nobody deaf, unfortunatly :-( I know a person who can't hear good, but she doesn't know the sign language.

I've a question : if you write the signs for remember them? i don't write the things I learn in the foreign languages but I listen them in my head in for example a conversation. Have you this with the signs? therefore you would see them, insetad hear? I can't imagine it, but it would be very nice because in your head it would be quiet and calm. I think that I prefer the sign language.

Carisma
Diglot
Argentina
Joined 5432 days ago

104 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 100 of 113
05 July 2009 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
I know a seventeen-year-old German guy who now lives here in Argentina and speaks Spanish
quite well. He also has a basic knowledge in French and English.
And here's a story you'll all find interesting. My aunt is married to a German man, and
has two small children. She speaks to them in Spanish, and now they are both diglot at
the early ages of three and five. The five-year-old even sings in English with perfect
pronunciation. Imagine how this kids are going to be when they grow up! Taking in account
that they'll learn French and English at school.
And I am fifteen, but I can't say I am a polyglot because I'm still a beginner in German.
But maybe I'll be a polyglot before 18, I want to finish high school with fluency in
German and Italian.

Edited by Carisma on 06 July 2009 at 1:57am

Québecguy
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5429 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 101 of 113
08 July 2009 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
I know a 15-years-old Swiss guy who actually lives in Canada. He can speaks French (3rd language) , English(4th
language) , German and Swiss German (2nd language) and Armenian (1st language) He's now studying Spanish with
me; and he's slowly learning Japanese alone.

Quite impressive, for a 15-years-old boy, eh ?

lachat
Triglot
Joined 5373 days ago

23 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, Dutch, French
Studies: Italian

Message 102 of 113
19 September 2009 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
I know two children who speak Portuguese, Dutch and some English. There parents speak Portuguese and English. There babysiter speaks Dutch and English every day. So they have picked it up quite well. They are not even three.

I know other young children who speak Dutch, English, some French, and a few words in Portuguese and others.

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5236 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, FrenchC2, SpanishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 103 of 113
23 May 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Wow, some of these kids' achievements put mine to shame! They all seem very talented. :)

I'm currently 15 years old, and consider myself to be pretty good with languages -- I was born to Chinese
parents in North America and raised in Singapore, spending most of my childhood in a bilingual environment
(English and Mandarin). I also spent a year in Montreal in elementary school learning French, and have
maintained it up to this day, with occasional trips back to Montreal and perhaps to France in the future. I've also
been studying Spanish since 7th grade, and German since February of my freshman year in high school. I'm
fluent in all of them except German -- I've taken and passed high-level proficiency tests, including the HSK
(Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) Advanced for Chinese [Level 9], the DALF C2 for French, and the DELE Intermedio (B2)
for Spanish. I'm going to take the DELE Superior this November.

As for German, I'll be spending the upcoming summer in Germany, taking a three-week intensive language
course, so hopefully my German will be significantly improved by the time I come back (I'm currently at a B1
level of proficiency right now). For my senior year, I will shift my focus from Spanish and German to German and
Italian -- I've started teaching myself some of the basics, and hopefully I'll be at least at the B1 level of Italian
prior to graduating from high school.

In summary, here are the languages I speak:

1. English (native)
2. Mandarin (native) -- HSK Advanced
3. French (native fluency) -- DALF C2
4. Spanish (near-native fluency) -- DELE Intermedio B2 for now; aiming for the DELE Superior in November
5. German (basic fluency) -- Start Deutsch A2; aiming for the C1 exam sometime in 2011
6. Italian (beginner) -- aiming for the B1 exam prior to June 2011

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 104 of 113
24 May 2010 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
I'm familiar with several languages, but I don't dare call myself fluent in any of them, though I could live in the country with no trouble.

I'm 18.

Spanish/Portuguese are pretty good, my Italian following close behind.

German is getting there, I've only studied it for 2 months or so.

My friend from the Ukraine speaks fluent Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, and English. His English is native fluency, learned from age 10 and on. He has no accent at all ( I find that amazing) and reads novels for fun. (1000+ pages)

all the other 3 are native languages learned at birth :)

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version