Germany
Joined 6475 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 58 of 113
14 June 2008 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
fairyfountain wrote:
Sadly enough, I sacrificed Italian and German in order to pursue my goal which is native fluency in English.

This is really sad. Especially if you live in Europe.

Edited by Marc Frisch on 14 June 2008 at 3:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

fairyfountain
Zimbabwe
Joined 5938 days ago

254 posts - 248 votes 
5 sounds

Message 59 of 113
14 June 2008 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
Actually, I don't think it is, because I don't care about these languages any more.
I don't think I'm particularly gifted at languages and everybody knows that being gifted isn't the key to polyglottery, so I decided to focus on my priority, English.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6475 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 60 of 113
14 June 2008 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
fairyfountain wrote:
Actually, I don't think it is, because I don't care about these languages any more.

That's exactly what's so sad about it... That you lost your interest in the languages of your neighbors.

fairyfountain
Zimbabwe
Joined 5938 days ago

254 posts - 248 votes 
5 sounds

Message 61 of 113
15 June 2008 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Well, the UK is a neighbour alright. Plus, as you must already know since you speak several languages fluently, when you lose interest in a language, there's pretty much no turning back.
What would be even sadder is losing time trying to relearn those languages, because when you just don't care about a language, it's really hard to memorise anything that's linked to it.

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5964 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 62 of 113
25 June 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
I think it is totally possible to attain native level fluency for 3 or more languages if you live near native speakers.,specially if you are young and have friends who speak the languages you are studying.

sajro
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5806 days ago

129 posts - 131 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 63 of 113
03 July 2008 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Well, now I feel really silly. I'm 13 and a native speaker of English, and I'm studying Spanish and Russian. I study Spanish at school and supplement it with Pimsleur/MT, as well as reading and a few grammars. I might soon get Assimil.

Russian I study alone for my own interest. I'm currently working on various grammars and Pimsleur. I may get MT or Assimil...which of these would be best to get first? I'm wary about MT, at least until they have a Russian Vocabulary Builder as they have with some of the other languages.

I've learned that used bookstores are a godsend, and a family member who works at a world-renowned private middle and high school has its benefits.

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5791 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 64 of 113
13 July 2008 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
English is my first language as well and I could speak Spanish pretty fluently starting around age 16 (I'm now nearly
19 and have advanced fluency.), but I began to learn it in school around age 10 or 11. I thought this was good, but
now that I'm college I see that there are plenty of teenage college students who speak easily 3, 4, or 5+ languages
due to the high number of languages they've been exposed to. My roommate speaks French, English, and Arabic
due to where she lives and goes to school, and another friend speaks Russian and English (Raised in the US by
Russian parents), learned Spanish and German after many years of school classes, and is starting to learn French
and is picking it up quickly. There are plenty of polyglot children because many places in the world demand that
those who live there learn all of the local languages just to get by on a daily basis.

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version