Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 297 of 398
30 April 2007 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
Assimil Using Spanish lección cincuenta y ocho trata de America Latina.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6689 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 298 of 398
30 April 2007 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Como sabes, ellos estaban diciendo que los de Catalán tiene una preferencia usar "haber de" cuando hablan español.

Ah, ¿ era eso ? No, no sabía que se trataba de eso, pero así se comprende más. Es decir que los catalenes tienden a usarlo más cuando hablan el castellano. Será así, aunque yo no lo he notado en la práctica.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 299 of 398
30 April 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
luke wrote:
Ellos estaban diciendo que los de Catalán tiene una preferencia usar "haber de" cuando hablan español.

Será así, aunque yo no lo he notado en la práctica.

Ah, muy interesante. Me he preguntado si lo has oído en España.

Esta noche he sido escuchado Assimil Spanish with Ease. He pasado por lecciones 1-21. He sido pensado usar este curso para aumentar la proxima fase de mis estudios. Como puedes adivinar, las primeras no son difíciles. He usado este curso como suplemento ántes, pero nunca he terminado la primera ola, ni fui más allá de las cuarentenas. Lo que pienso que puedo aprender del curso es:

1. Unas cientas palabras nuevas.
  2. Un poco de vosotros, lo cual me ayudará cuando lea Don Quixote algún día.
  3. Espero que me ayude cuando yo vuelva a Using Spanish para la ola de noventa días (la curva de memoria).

Creo que es posible que puedo ir hasta lección 50 en dos días más. A ese punto, continue con la ola activa. Vamos a ver. Pienso que el vocabulario nuevo será útil. Y, jueves, voy a empezar con Streetwise Spanish. Espero que vaya a tener tiempo por los dos cursos.

Como siempre, si tienes ganas de decirme mis errors, ¡Andale pues!

Edited by luke on 08 June 2007 at 4:22pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 300 of 398
01 May 2007 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Lección cincuenta y nueve se llama "expresarse con el cuerpo" y trata de expresiones idiomáticas con el cuerpo. Por ejemplo, los lectores de este hilo puedan decir, -- tus planes para aprender español no tiene ni pies ni cabeza. :)

A propósito, solo pasé 25 minutos para repasar las primeras 21 lecciones. Eso fue después de estudiarlas. Son muy cortas. Hace tiempo que las redacté para ser más rapido.

Edited by luke on 01 May 2007 at 5:55am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 301 of 398
01 May 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Aquí estamos con la traduccion de lección 53. No he cambiado la traducción, pero añadí unas notas en inglés sobre la traducción. Todavía
estoy tratando to make heads or tails de este dialogo.

The first line is the original Spanish.
The second is the translation in the book.
The third line is what I came up with. I think it's pretty good, but I don't understand Spanish well enough to judge that. I tried to use phrases with "to give" in order to maintain that component of the original, since it is a lesson about the verb "dar".

If you have anything to add or clarify, I'd be very grateful. I will explain my thinking on the English translation a little bit, in case that helps.

No hay que darle vueltas, dar es un verbo que da mucho de sí y... que da que hacer.
There is no doubt, to give is a verb that has many meanings and... it is a pain in the neck.
It's a given, the verb "to give" has a lot of meanings... and it gives you a headache.

Comment: "It's a given" is another way of saying "it is understood", or "everyone knows". I used "gives you a headache" in order to use the word "gives". The meaning of headache is figurative. It means that it's a pain (in the neck).

¡Hay para dar y tomar! Y si en la conversación se quiere dar en el clavo, no se puede dar largas al asunto con un <<ahí me las den todas>> o con un <<¿qué más da?>>
There is enough to give and to take! And if during the conversation one wants to get at the heart of the problem, one cannot delay the case with a "That does not appeal to me" or with a "what difference does it make"?
There is give and take! And if during the conversation one wants to give the nail a smack on the head, one cannot give pause with an "I don't give a hoot" or with a "what gives?"

Comment: I really have no idea what "Hay para dar y tomar" means, but "give and take" means compromise. You give a little, you take a little. "I don't give a hoot" means "I don't care", or "I could care less", a mi no importa. "What gives?" means "what's going on, I don't understand, why did you do that?"

Eso sólo lo dicen quienes, olvidando que <<a Dios rogando y con el mazo dando>> se las quieren dar de listillos para dársela a los demás con queso.
This is only said by those who, forgetting that "God helps those who help themselves" like to show themselves shrewd in order to possess the others.
This is given as an excuse by those who, forgetting that "God gives a hand to those who help themselves", like to give the impression they're clever by giving you a run for your money.

Comment: Again I tried to use "give" several times in the translation. Excuses are given. God can "give" or "lend" a hand. "Give a hand", and "lend a hand" both mean "help". In English, impressions can be given. "You give me the impression..." can mean "You make me think...", or "You give me the feeling...", depending on what follows the clause (...). "Giving you a run for your money" implies someone is in competition with you or is challenging you.

Pero aunque den la lata, e incluso a veces el día, no siempre consiguen dar gato por liebre.
But, although they annoy others, and even they sometimes spoil the day, they cannot always cheat.
But, although they give heartache, and sometimes even give a hard time, they cannot always give the slip.

Comment: Heartache, emotional distress, can be given in English. "You give me a heartache", or "You make my heart ache". When someone "gives you a hard time", they are making your life more difficult. "Give the slip" means to escape a pursuer. I didn't really like that translation for "dar gato por liebre", but couldn't think of another idiom using "give" that was closer.

Les ocurre, empero, que habiendo dado pie a que se desenviane el famoso <<donde las dan las toman>> terminan ellos mismos dando con los huesos en tierra.
However, it happens to them, that having given opportunity that the famous "he that mischief hatches, mischief catches" could unsheathe they themselves end up finding the bones in the earth.
However it happens to them, having given opportunity to the famous phrase, "what goes around comes around", they end up giving themselves a dirt nap.

Comment: "Given opportunity" is used in the sense of "They gave you an opportunity" or "they gave you a chance". A dirt nap has overtones of organized crime, and it implies that they have lead to their own demise (end). That end could be figurative, and not an actual death. A dirt nap means sleeping in the dirt. Basically, buried in the morgue or somewhere else. "What goes around comes around" is a way of expressing that life has karma, and if you treat others well, things will go well, if you treat them poorly, eventually you will suffer.

Y...¡claro! ¡dando que reír!
And... of course, causing laughter!
And... of course, giving everyone a laugh!

Comment: A colloquial way to say, "made them laugh" or "caused them to laugh", is to "give them a laugh".

Si se dar por sentado que es justo dar a César lo que es de César no hay más que una solución: darle duro al trabajo.
If it is taken for granted that it is right to give Caesar what belongs to Caesar there is not more than one solution: to work hard.
If it's a given that it is right to give to Caesar what is Caesar's, then there is only one solution: give it all you've got.

Comment: "Give it all you've got" means "try as hard as you can", or "put forth all of your effort".

En efecto, sólo dándose por entero a la tarea que se realiza puede uno llegar a experimentar que algo se le da bien, y en consecuencia, darse por contento; que es lo mejor que darse pueda.
In fact, only if one dedicates itself completely to the task that he is carrying out he can experience that something works well, and as a consequence, he can feel contentment; which is the best thing one can imagine.
In fact, only by giving oneself completely to the task at hand can one experience that something gives satisfaction, and as a consequence, gives contentment; which is the best thing one can be given.

Comment: I believe my translation uses the standard meaning of "give" throughout this last sentence. I'm not sure I translated "que es lo mejor que darse pueda" very well though.

Anyway, I'm not looking for any pats on the back for my translation into English. If you can offer any insight into the Spanish though, I'd be very grateful.

Edited by luke on 02 May 2007 at 7:15am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 302 of 398
01 May 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Estaba buscando una traducción mejor para "ver de qué pie cojea uno" lo cual es una frase de lección 59, y encontré un sitio maravilloso de modismos. De nuevo, la traducción en el libro Using Spanish me parece mala. Dice, "to be familiar with one's vice, fault, moral defect, or weak point". El sitio dice, "See which way the cat jumps", y te confieso que tuve que buscar una traducción. Hay un mundo de diferencia (¿se puede decir eso?) entre estas dos traducciones. Cuanto me alegro que solo hay una lección más en el frustrando libro de traducciones.

El mensaje anterior es parte de lo que escribo al dueño del sitio. Aparentemente él es traductor. Vamos a ver si me escriba. Pensé que mi comentario en inglés podría ser útil para los demás.

Hable por más de una hora con una mujer de Puerto Rico esta tarde. Me diviertí mucho. Era muy simpática y hablamos un buen rato.

Hice lecciones 22-28 en Assimil Spanish with Ease. Creo que voy a repasar 1-28 y no haré 29-35 esta noche. Pienso que el repaso sienta las bases y es más importante mantener la curva de memoria que hacer más esta noche. Es tarde y, ¿has dicho que he dejado de tomar café? Duermo mejor.

Edited by luke on 02 May 2007 at 4:43am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 303 of 398
02 May 2007 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Assimil Using Spanish lección sesenta es una carta abierta al lector. Me disfruta cuando los autores dar algún reconocimiento al lector por la tarea realizada. Aunque es la última lección del libro, no es la última vez que voy a estudiarla.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 304 of 398
02 May 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Mi amigo del buen sitio de modismos me escribió. Me dijo las siguientes verdades:

Jesús wrote:
"Darle vueltas a algo" means to think/discuss a matter over and over again, so "no hay que darle más vueltas" means "stop worrying about it".

"Dar de si" means to have plenty of exceptions (in this context, other meanings: "to go a long way", "to stretch") in the sense that the verb "dar" can be used in so many different ways and with so different meanings that it could become a pain in the neck to learn all its meanings and exceptions.

"Dar y tomar" means two or more persons arguing, or discussing something, so "hay para dar y tomar" means "there are a lot of points to argue about".

En resumen, la mejor traducción no es la más literal, sino la que equivale en el idioma de destino.

You can find some other examples with idioms containing "dar" on my Idioms page, just use Ctrl+F to search for "dar".

Las he redactado un poco por claridad en este mensaje. Si hay errores, son míos.

He terminado Using Spanish lección sesenta, ¡la última!. Ya habrá repasos, pero estoy listo para seguir el proximo camino, el español cotidiano. Voy a tratar de continuar con Spanish with Ease también. Lecciones 29-35 me esperan. Hasta más tarde.

Edited by luke on 02 May 2007 at 6:18pm

This discussion contains 398 messages over 50 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version