William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6071 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 17 of 42
10 December 2007 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Dungan was mentioned above. It is an aberrant form of North Chinese, spoken on Russian territory by Chinese Muslims. It is fairly close to Mandarin but has lost one or two of the tones.
1 person has voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6093 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 18 of 42
10 December 2007 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
There is a funky dictionary that was published in the Qing dynasty that is in Uyghur, Classical Chinese, Mongolian,
Manchurian, and Tibetan. (I think it was those five languages) Does anyone know where to get reprints of this? I'm
not sure why but apparently I need one.

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6655 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 19 of 42
10 December 2007 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
jimbo wrote:
There is a funky dictionary that was published in the Qing dynasty that is in Uyghur, Classical Chinese, Mongolian,
Manchurian, and Tibetan. (I think it was those five languages) Does anyone know where to get reprints of this? I'm

Wow. Maybe I'm a complete nerd, but that sounds awesome to me.

joan.carles
Bilingual Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 6132 days ago

332 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, French, EnglishC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Hungarian, Russian, Georgian

Message 20 of 42
11 December 2007 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
jimbo wrote:

I don't know if they will be able to find it but at MIPP, which sells Mongolian and Chinese books as well as Russian and other ex-soviet republics' books, you can request a search of free. Good luck!

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 21 of 42
14 February 2008 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Here you go:
Dictionary

Only $2470 new

Edited by kealist on 14 February 2008 at 1:31am

freakyqi
United States
Joined 5929 days ago

32 posts - 43 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 22 of 42
14 February 2008 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
onebir wrote:
One of my Uyghur friends said she thought Han-Uyghur relations were generally very good. The other would claim she was a foreigner if asked by Han Chinese, because she felt Han people thought Uyghurs were thieves and terrorists. Occasional comments from my Han friends suggested that some do think like this. But I'm not sure whether it's genuine prejudice, or just an observation based on the Uyghur people they've come across - outside Xinjiang many Uyghur people seem quite marginalised, and unlike Han people, there aren't so many counterexamples.

I can second all of that, but more toward the "seeing racism" side. I knew some Uyghurs here in Beijing too. They seemed like good people to me, but whenever I mentioned to a Han Chinese person that I had a Uyghur friend, they looked like they wanted to say "Eww" but refrained. One or two actually told me to be careful because Uyghurs are known to be thieves and cheaters.

One Uyhgur girl I knew looked totally European, and everywhere she went in Beijing, Han chinese thought she was a foreigner, therefore wanted to charge her more for things, and said "hello" and tried speaking to her in English rather than chinese. And she didn't even speak English!! Not one bit! She spoke Uyghur, Chinese, and quite a bit of French. Walking around with her was odd, how they thought she was a 'foreigner'.

A guy I knew, if he went into a store, the employees might look at him extra, and he had trouble renting an apartment. It reminded me of some racist part of the US where a black person might get "watched" in a store, or in some rural town of white people mysteriously hear "oh sorry we just rented the room last night" when they see his face.

2 persons have voted this message useful

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 23 of 42
14 February 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Uzbek vs Uyghur

There is a simple comparison, of course not complete. Yes, they are at least very very similar. But vowel harmony rules and I imagine some vocabulary is different. I have never tried speaking with an Uzbek, but the music is very indistinguishable for me.

ElfoEscuro
Diglot
United States
cyworld.com/brahmapu
Joined 6088 days ago

408 posts - 423 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 24 of 42
14 February 2008 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
kealist wrote:
But vowel harmony rules and I imagine some vocabulary is different.

Uzbek does not have vowel harmony anymore. Also, Uzbek does not have that vowel reduction that Uyghur has.
Another major difference is the writing. Uzbek is officially written with a modified form of the Latin alphabet, although many Uzbekistanis still write with the old Cyrillic alphabet. I believe most Uyghurs use a modified form of the Arabic abjad to write their language. There are also Cyrillic and Latin alphabets for writing Uyghur.

kealist wrote:
Uzbek vs Uyghur

Note that the Uzbek text in that link is not actually written in the Uzbek alphabet. It's written in Uyghur's Latin alphabet.

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version