Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4731 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 33 of 42
29 May 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
To be fair, most of han people have no discrimination towards them . At least not until we feel betrayed.
The majority of han people live away from xinjiang, they dont have a lot of chance to meet uyghur people. Propaganda or not , we grow up being taught that all 56 nations are family , we should love each other and respect each other . Maybe the government didnt do what it says , still the Han people feel Uyghur people are our family . The first time I learn this people May not like us,I was shocked . And when some bloody protest happened , I tend to believe that IT wasn't their will , it's some leader mislead there people for political purpose. Typical , isn't it ?Thats before I learn about those complicated relationship. And thats what majority of Han people think , at least initially. IT really hurts when I learnt they may hate us. It is like your father told you you have a lovely sister since you wre born, and you believed that, you love the unmet sister, and she punched you the first time she saw you. The same to taiwan. Brainwashed? Probably yes. But the feeling doesnt change.
But that shouldnt matter. Those are goverment activities after all. Uyghurs kept good images until something happen, and thats probably the reason somebody call them thieves(I will not do that,anyway, still believing the majority of them are good people, but more realistic). At certain season or certain time, a group og uyghurs will show up in the city, not only my city, but basiclly the whole mid amd east china, obviously organised, with same goods and same equitment, grouped, to sell their stack of sweet. That gorgeous taste I will never forget, I must admit. It was made up of honey, candied date and many other thing I cant tell, all together into a big bunch of sweet block of around one fourth a square meter. You have to cut a part off if you wanna buy. Well, he cuts. It cost around 20to 60 per half kilogram, depends on cities. Expensive, but for me it worth the price.(Not for my mom obviously). The problem comes when you are attracted by its outlook and intend to buy, he wont tell you the price. when you tell him how much you need, he will say yes, and pull out a knife, saying cut and no change. You repeat you will, he pretends not to hear. For gods sake, theres no way they dont understand manderin. They are,sellsman! They should be able to cut just the amount you need. But they dont. In the end you see their knife putting just a slice, thinking how heavy it could be? then say yes. He cuts. It turns out much more heavier than your imagine, probably cost hundreds, you feel cheated, you dont want to fimish the deal, thats when a group of strong uyghur men gahtered around you(they sell in groups), all fluent in manderin, start to threaten you. What can you do? Call the police? Well chinese dont call police easily and they may beat you before run. You are scared in the middle of guys,(Im female btw,and a lot of cases I reasearched online are), you pay the sweet forcefully, then leave, with uyghurs images cracked into pieces.
There are so much cases like this, around the country. I know its unreasonable to judge a race for a group of trash's deed, but your natural instincts will alerm you everytime you meet somebody in that clothes, DANGER!
PS They are orgainsed for sure.
I still love these people. I buy xinjiang roast meat in stardard market and delicious festivel. But though I really miss that gorgeous taste, I never buy them again.
forgive my typo and grammar and stuff.

Edited by lindseylbb on 29 May 2012 at 3:30pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4731 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 34 of 42
29 May 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
this is not policy related,right?
The more thing, the reason why uyghur is on the way of endanger is not policy, its economy. I believe.
1 person has voted this message useful

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5027 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 35 of 42
14 November 2013 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Hello fellow Uyghur learners.

Thought I would resurrect this thread as I've been away form the forum for a while but
came across it again and would like to give some input.

I've been wanting to study Uyghur for a long time, but always kept it on the backburner
just picking up the basic phrases that come in handy meeting Uygurs here in Shanghai.
Last summer I had the opportunity to go to Xinjiang to visit for a month so I spent
about 3 months cramming Uyghur, using the materials from University of Indiana and
Chinese university text books. Materials are pretty rare to find here in Shanghai but
luckily I do have many Uygur friends who were happy to help me learn. After three
months studying I got to Urumqi and was super excited to immerse myself. My first stop
was a pharmacy where I spoke to the Uygur assistants in broken Uygur. They had zero
reaction, looked at me like I was slightly crazy, let me pay from my products slamming
my change down on the counter and ignoring my goodbye "hosh". This happened everywhere
in Urumqi, in many restaurants the waitresses could not speak English and had very poor
Chinese as well, so were reluctant to come take my order. Upon realizing I could order
my food in Uygur again no reaction, just like they expected me to be able to speak.
Finally I met up with a friend of mine who used to live in Shanghai, (native Uygur) and
after walking around all day with him he told me everywhere we went people thought I
was UZBEK. I thought it was hilarious and never imagined they would think that because
I think I look quite different from them. Urumqi was not a city I would like to spend a
long time in, and I was happy to eventually leave and make my way to other smaller
cities. Turpan was amazing. Upon arrival one hotel tout came up to me and began
speaking to me in English, to shed the image of a tourist I usually switch to a non
English language wherever possible, so although his English was amazing I began
speaking to him in Mandarin and he followed suit. I ended up staying at his hotel and
booking a tour with him, spoke to him a bit in his native Uyghur and then went to get
some food. The next day I showed up for the tour and he was there again, this time
arguing with a Japanese tourist in Japanese. He did not stutter and spoke Japanese with
what sounded like a great accent and with great fluency. I was quite impressed and
asked him what other languages he spoke. He said French, and we had a quick chat in
French and again he spoke very well. I left Turpan without getting his information or
even asking him how he learned his languages. This was my greatest regret of the trip.
While I was in Turpan I visited the big bookstore next to the bazaar and bought a large
amount of Uyghur learning materials (all in Chinese or Russian), as well as plenty of
books filled with Uyghur folk tales, some magazines, and some DVD's. (the DVD's are
absolutely horrible quality unfortunately.

Since then I've put Uyghur back on the backburner, using it only when I visit a Uyghur
restaurant to order my food or when I'm out with my Uyghur friends, but once I bring my
Russian and Shanghainese levels up where I don't have to actively study anymore I will
go right back into it.

I noticed a new Uyghur textbook is coming out soon on amazon.com and I'm excited to
pick up a copy when it becomes available. Will be nice to have another textbook
produced in the developed world (the Russian and Chinese textbooks have horrible
scratchy audio and are just generally not good).

Raxmet!

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5027 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 36 of 42
14 November 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Oh right and Uyghur is in no way shape or form a dying language. Uyghurs love their
language, culture, and would die before they would stop speaking it. The language is
alive and well and fun to learn, not very difficult, and rewarding.

daristani
United States
Joined 6943 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 37 of 42
14 November 2013 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm curious about the new Uyghur textbook on Amazon that you cited; if it's the black one by Nazarova and Niyaz, it's actually produced by CeLCAR at Indiana, and thus may be pretty much the same as the one you've been using. (For some reason, Georgetown is publishing the books in this series.)

If there's another one, could you provide any info on it? (I can't find it on the Amazon site.)

In any event, good luck with your Uyghur studies when you resume them!   

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5207 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 38 of 42
15 November 2013 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
Thanks for posting a summary of your trip to Xinjiang, feel free to to expand it if you want (especially language-related aspects) ! I was planning to go there in 2014 but I'm not sure it's going to be possible.

Curious too about this new textbook (although I find Greetings from the Teklimakan satisfying enough when supplemented with Harvard's handouts and charts).

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5631 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 39 of 42
15 November 2013 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
An interesting account of your trip to Xinjiang, slymie. Are Uighur and Uzbek mutually intelligible?

yong321
Groupie
United States
yong321.freeshe
Joined 5341 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 40 of 42
16 November 2013 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
slymie, interesting story! But why are they reluctant to take your order? I don't quite get that. If it's a language problem, they should still serve the customer. Right? You're bringing business to them after all. What's special about Uzbek? They don't like Uzbek people?

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version