Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 89 of 94
13 January 2010 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
I heard a speaker say the other day that he had never met someone who regrets speaking more than one language, but he meets lots of people who regret speaking only one. That in my mind sums up the issue. I don't see any drawbacks to being a polyglot. I see a lot of effort and great difficulty in maintaining a high level of fluency in many languages, but I hardly call these things drawbacks.

Part of the thread, in my opinion, touches on a fundamental issue: how many of us are true polyglots, if we mean by that equal competence in multiple languages? This is rarely the case, and perhaps this is what can get us into trouble. A lot of people are impressed when we say we speak x number of languages, but it's not always easy to perform at native level when put in a real situation. I'm not speaking of a drawback. I think it's more a question of overselling.
3 persons have voted this message useful

apatch3
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5995 days ago

80 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Pashto, English*
Studies: Japanese, FrenchA2

Message 90 of 94
08 April 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Well to be honest there aren't any major drawbacks except for the occasional vocabulary mix-up I'll be thinking of something to say and low and behold the first word that comes to mind will be in the wrong language this is especially true when discussing certain things that aren't well understood cross culturally for example I find it impossible to define "moe" in any other language moe is just moe!
1 person has voted this message useful

rebrafi
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 5139 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, Esperanto, French, English
Studies: Italian

Message 91 of 94
30 April 2010 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
If you speak 1 foreign language, people will look to you normally; 2 languages they'll say you are prepared for business world, 3 languages you're updated within your time; 6 languages "oh you're inteligent; 10 languages they will look surprisingly. More than 10 they simply won't believe, amd always will aks you to translate something outside a context to see how you are really good. but usualy they will say it is a big lie.

Tally
Bilingual Diglot
Israel
Joined 5418 days ago

135 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew*
Studies: French

Message 92 of 94
30 April 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I don't see any drawbacks in it actually.

Bill_Sage667
Groupie
United States
Joined 5015 days ago

62 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 93 of 94
05 September 2010 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I get really irritated when my buddies expect me to be fluent in a language, even only if I've just dabbled in it for a month (I'm sure some people in this thread have experienced the same thing). That's why as much as I can, I simply try to hide the fact that I like languages, and never reveal how hard I work on my languages. It will make them think that you've done it effortlessly. Very ironic though, that the same guy who try to expect me to be fluent and know everything in a language (they expect me to know every word in a dictionary, as if it was that simple to learn a language) don't even know what omnipotence, didactic, onomatopoeia means in their own native language (which is English, of course). And there's the grownup who asks you whether you're fluent already, but I'm okay with that, since it's just like a polite gentleman asking 'So, can you serve like Federer now, and do awesome slices?' even though I've just started my tennis lessons back then. I only get insulted if they actually try to poke holes in my abilities.

On the other hand there are some people who think you're an oddity or a genius. And I'm not even a polyglot at all (nor even a biglot).

Edited by Bill_Sage667 on 05 September 2010 at 3:51pm

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5029 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 94 of 94
05 September 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

- being somewhat polyglot ranks about the same as collecting stamps, playing the tuba or having a weird dog.

Omigod! Thats it. the tuba HAS to go..... the funny looking gawky cat can stay though.

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version