leosmith
United States
Joined 6355 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 17 of 28
31 October 2010 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
I'm beginning to study Russian at the same time as a friend of mine. He is an accomplished polyglot who's opinion I
respect. He chose the Princeton course as his beginner course. However, he found the course had too much focus
on dialogues, not enough grammar, and he hated the layout. So he switched to assimil to get a basic grounding in
grammar and basic vocab. He thinks he will go back to Princeton eventually, since it has really useful colloquial
phrases.

I, on the other hand, started with Pimsleur and Michel Thomas, but that's another story...
1 person has voted this message useful

хелдер
Diglot
Brazil
aleph.helderdarocha.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4815 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English, Portuguese*
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 28
08 March 2011 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
I'm studying it.

101 contains 102.

101 = Chapters 1 to 6 (lessons 1 to 50), Story 1 to 7.
102 = Chapters 7 to 12 (lessons 51 to 84), Story 8 to 21.

ericblair
United States
Joined 4516 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 19 of 28
04 May 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I'm beginning to study Russian at the same time as a friend of mine.
He is an accomplished polyglot who's opinion I
respect. He chose the Princeton course as his beginner course. However, he found the
course had too much focus
on dialogues, not enough grammar, and he hated the layout. So he switched to assimil to
get a basic grounding in
grammar and basic vocab. He thinks he will go back to Princeton eventually, since it
has really useful colloquial
phrases.

I, on the other hand, started with Pimsleur and Michel Thomas, but that's another
story...

I too am planning to start with Pimsleur and Michel Thomas for Russian once they
arrive. What was your outcome?

хелдер
Diglot
Brazil
aleph.helderdarocha.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4815 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English, Portuguese*
Studies: Russian

Message 20 of 28
04 May 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
I studied the first Princeton year in 4 months (101/102), in parallel with LiveMocha.com, songs, writing letters and
watching movies. Then I went to Russia for three months. My vocabulary is still not great, but I can communicate
most of the time, I can read news, notes, and sometimes I can understand people speaking. I did half of the
Princeton second year when I returned from Russia, but I got a bit bored with the stories and dialogs, and decided
to do something different. I got a Russian reader and translated some stories. Then I translated a Chekhov play and
some fairy tales. It has been two months since I stopped. My Russian is a bit worse, but I intend to travel there
again, so I will soon start reviewing.

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 21 of 28
05 May 2012 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
There are good things and bad things about it. I used it for about 2 months and quit. I quit for the following reasons.

1) I didn't like dealing with all the pdf files, etc. Kind of messy.
2) I hated the phonetic script the author invented, and much of the pronunciation explanations.
3) Grammar wasn't sticking. This was at least partly my fault. I didn't write anything, usually didn't do the homework, and
didn't spend much time analyzing my mistakes.
4) The program was really big, and information given in small pieces. Grammar is only so useful until you have a rough idea
of how everything goes together. So you need to get through a whole program to get a good feel for all the individual
aspects. This program is so big that it feels like I would take forever to get to the point where I could get my arms around
the language. To give you an idea, I was spending about 1 hour on a lesson, And that's without doing homework or writing
anything down. I did memorize new vocabulary in that time. But the reason I didn't write or do homework was to save time.

So I was looking at a situation where I'd need 200 hours to complete a program that couldn't make the grammar stick. So I
switched to Assimil. Used as recommended, it's not great with grammar either, but it's closer to 100 hours for what is
probably about the same material. And that's with me adding in manual translation to make the grammar stick.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4861 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 22 of 28
05 May 2012 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:

2) I hated the phonetic script the author invented, and much of the pronunciation
explanations.

Why? What don't you like? What transcription do you think is the best?

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 23 of 28
06 May 2012 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Why? What don't you like? What transcription do you think is the best?

It's been a while since I've worked with it, so I'll just give you an example of the pronunciation explanations I didn't
like. 3 ways to spell "O". I don't doubt that by his system he's right, but he totally lost me more than once, which
made me ignore it. Regarding transcription - I wish he'd just used phonetic cyrillic in parentheses.

Anyway, over all it's a good free resource that most people like, so I suppose I'm being picky.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4861 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 24 of 28
06 May 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Regarding transcription - I wish he'd just used phonetic cyrillic in
parentheses.

молокó - мълакó?
Well, I wish you read the transcription in the New Penguin Russian Course together with
all the phonetic explanatons, we discussed it Beginning Russian Advice? in Advice Center.

Edited by Марк on 06 May 2012 at 12:35pm

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version