Speaks: English*

Message 25 of 28
07 May 2012 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Wulfgar wrote:
Regarding transcription - I wish he'd just used phonetic cyrillic in
parentheses.

молокó - мълакó?
Well, I wish you read the transcription in the New Penguin Russian Course together with
all the phonetic explanatons, we discussed it Beginning Russian Advice? in Advice Center.

Yes, something like that. Does ъ really sound like schwa, or is that the closest one can get with the existing
symbols? (My pronunciation of ъ sucks - haven't figured it out yet). Thanks for the suggestion about the other
thread.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4860 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 26 of 28
07 May 2012 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Марк wrote:
Wulfgar wrote:
Regarding transcription - I wish he'd
just used phonetic cyrillic in
parentheses.

молокó - мълакó?
Well, I wish you read the transcription in the New Penguin Russian Course together with
all the phonetic explanatons, we discussed it Beginning Russian Advice? in Advice
Center.

Yes, something like that. Does ъ really sound like schwa, or is that the closest one
can get with the existing
symbols? (My pronunciation of ъ sucks - haven't figured it out yet). Thanks for the
suggestion about the other
thread.

No. The hard sign as well as the soft one before vowels indicates the presence of [j]
sound, so съел sounds like [sjel] (сйэл), while сел is [s'el] (с'эл). The same happens
in words like семья, чьи and even бульон (бул'йóн).
But in transription ъ is used for schwa because this letter was originally invented for
this sound and is still used for this purpose in Bulgarian (in my mind). The same is
with the soft sign: it is used for schwa after soft consonants ливень - л'ив'ьн'.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4475 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 27 of 28
07 May 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

No. The hard sign as well as the soft one before vowels indicates the presence of [j]
sound, so съел sounds like [sjel] (сйэл), while сел is [s'el] (с'эл). The same happens
in words like семья, чьи and even бульон (бул'йóн).
But in transription ъ is used for schwa because this letter was originally invented for
this sound and is still used for this purpose in Bulgarian (in my mind). The same is
with the soft sign: it is used for schwa after soft consonants ливень - л'ив'ьн'.

Thanks. You should write a pronunciation guide, man. You're good at this.

ericblair
United States
Joined 4515 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 28 of 28
16 May 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Wulfgar.

Марк, I must say that you provide a lot of very helpful tips and guidance for many users
here. I do not believe I have ever asked you anything directly, but I often benefit from
your help to others here.

Cheers!

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version