Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6435 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 25 of 69
30 March 2007 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Ok just tell me how on earth you are going to understand anything of Korean or Chinese if you don't read and study the language together with listening to natives. That's not comprehensible input. "learning like a child" and comprehensible input are VERY different things. Children do not really understand what it's spoken to them. In languages like Korean or Japanese (expecially for completely unrelated European ones) if you just listen, even paying attention, you may well not even be able to distinguish the sounds you hear and recreate the word. In your brain, let alone in your oral production and sentence building.
What is "comprehensible input" for you and how do you relate it with the concept of "learnin like a child"?
1 person has voted this message useful

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6417 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 26 of 69
30 March 2007 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Linguamor wrote:
Context. At first most language directed at me was in English, but lots of Norwegian was spoken in my presence. I gradually began to understand more and more of what I heard, and as I understood more, more of the language directed at me was in Norwegian. ...

Did you use any study aids at all? Did you own a grammar book or a textbook? Did you ever open a dictionary? Did you ever receive any grammatical explanations from the natives? Also, if this took place after you'd studied languages at the university, did you find your general insight into grammatical phenomena and terminology helping you figure out the structure of Norwedgian?

No study aids, grammar or textbooks, or dictionaries. No grammar explanations. I was not trying to learn Norwegian. This took place before I attended university. It was while at university that I encountered the concept of comprehensible input.

frenkeld wrote:
Linguamor wrote:
It was only later that I encountered the concept of comprehensible input and realized how I had learned Norwegian. I have since let the concept of comprehensible input guide my learning of other languages, with very pleasing results.

I must say I am skeptical that a single idea can be the end-all of language learning.

The human brain is designed to learn language from comprehensible input. The nature of language also makes it necessary to learn language this way. The lexico-grammatical system of any language is far too large and complex to be consciously learned.

frenkeld wrote:

Here is one model of comprehensible input, straight out of Barry Farber: (1) you read the first 5 chapters of a textbook; (2) you continue reading your textbook, but also open your first newspaper article, look up every unknown word in the first sentence, understand the sentence the best you can, record the words that now make sense on flashcards, move on to the next sentence.

This is comprehensible input, especially if the reading matter is chosen well, yet this isn't how you learn languages. So, there must be more to your way of learning and teaching, but because you believe in one concept, you seem to see the rest as incidental details, even while paradoxically being quite attached to them, and try to force everything within the comprehensible input framework rather that merely let it illuminate and guide certain aspects of how you learn and teach languages.

I would agree that your example involves comprehensible input. The incidental details are important to me because they largely determine the specific elements of language one is exposed to, and the amount of comprehensible input one is exposed to.

I don't try to force everything within the comprehensible input framework. I find rather that the concept of comprehensible input accounts for the observations that are made when language learning is examined, and predicts results that are then observed. This is exactly what any theory of language learning is required to do.

frenkeld wrote:

In any case, this is what I am afraid may be happening, but I could be wrong, of course. Just on the off-chance that I am not entirely wrong, please, continue to share the details of how you do things, for your specific choices and preferences are not all automatically obvious from the comprehensible input concept alone and just may point to some other aspects of language learning and acquisition.

Could you be more specific?

Edited by Linguamor on 30 March 2007 at 2:40am

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6417 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 27 of 69
30 March 2007 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
kinoko wrote:
Ok just tell me how on earth you are going to understand anything of Korean or Chinese if you don't read and study the language together with listening to natives.

I could recruit a native speaker of Korean or Chinese and instruct him or her on how to speak to me in Korean or Japanese in a way that I could understand. As my ability to understand Korean or Chinese increased, and I began to be able to speak, I could begin to converse with other native speakers, and thus learn more from comprehensible input.

This article explains exactly how it can be done.
http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/gt/leaveme.htm

kinoko wrote:

That's not comprehensible input. "learning like a child" and comprehensible input are VERY different things.

What is "comprehensible input" for you and how do you relate it with the concept of "learnin like a child"?

Children learn language by understanding the speech that is directed at them, and then later from understanding speech they hear around them. Comprehensible input is speech and/or writing that is understood.

Edited by Linguamor on 30 March 2007 at 2:37am

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6417 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 

Message 28 of 69
30 March 2007 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
LilleOSC wrote:

Awhile ago I read an earlier post of yours about comprehensible input.I am still a little confused about it.Can someone benefit from comprehensible input without being completely immersed in the language?Does it only work if you live in a country or place that speaks your target-language?

You can acquire language from comprehensible input without being immersed in the target language or living where the target language is spoken. To acquire language from comprehensible input you need exposure to language that you can understand. The best possible way to go about it is to have one or more people speak to you in the language in a way that makes it possible for you to understand what they are saying. As they speak to you, your abiliy to understand more and more language increases, and your ability to speak the language emerges.

That is the ideal situation. The problem is what to do when the situation is not ideal. The answer is to expose yourself to ample amounts of language (written and spoken) that you can understand, while gradually increasing the difficulty level. This means that you need to find material that contains language that you can understand, but which also contains some grammar and vocabulary that you have not previously been able to understand, and material that contains grammar and vocabulary that you can understand, but not yet produce. Any written or spoken material with these characteristics can be used.

Now what do you do with these materials? You read and/or listen to them, focusing on understanding them. When you are understanding language, you are giving your brain the opportunity it needs to acquire the language.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6742 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 29 of 69
30 March 2007 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
This took place before I attended university.

This is potentially important information. Unless you took a long break after High School before going to the University, you would have been in your late teens at the time. While this is very much on the tail end of the "critical period", it is still, based on my unsystematic observations, an early enough age to offer considerable advantage for this type of immersive language acquistion compared even to people coming from abroad after college.

Linguamor wrote:
frenkeld wrote:
I must say I am skeptical that a single idea can be the end-all of language learning.

The human brain is designed to learn language from comprehensible input. The nature of language also makes it necessary to learn language this way. The lexico-grammatical system of any language is far too large and complex to be consciously learned.

I have no issue with the need to acquire, as opposed to learn, a lot of the language for anything remotely resembling fluency - it's a given. Whether "acquisition" just involves comprehensible input, or whether there are some additional general mechanisms involved, I have no choice but to leave to the researchers in the field, who may or may not be in broad agreement on this at the moment. It's actually not important, because when I was talking about comprehensible input not being "the end-all of language learning", I was referring merely to the practical aspects of language study by an adult.

Linguamor wrote:
I would agree that your example involves comprehensible input. The incidental details are important to me because they largely determine the specific elements of language one is exposed to, and the amount of comprehensible input one is exposed to.

These "details" are the crux of the matter and the reason I got into this discussion. Precisely because you believe that comprehensible input is the main language acquisition mechanism, saying that you study languages by a "comprehensible input method" is pretty close to saying nothing at all. As is advising someone asking how to learn a language that he or she just needs to make sure to have enough comprehensible input.

For there is no other way. Whether I am watching TV, working through an Assimil course, talking to a teacher, or painstakingly translating a novel word for word, I am getting comprehensible input. When I am brushing up on grammar, I do this to make input more comprehensible in the near future. When Iversen is memorizing word lists from a dictionary, he is preparing himself to make subsequent input more comprehensible. Only a method specially designed to preclude any hope of learning a language would not involve a lot of comprehensible input.

So, the devil is not in the comprehensible input idea, but in the details, for these details are all that distinguishes various language study methods. People new to languages do need to be reminded that language learning must involve a lot of practice and not just study, and that our minds have a way of figuring out and internalizing a lot of things through practice, but that's about it.

Linguamor wrote:
I don't try to force everything within the comprehensible input framework. I find rather that the concept of comprehensible input accounts for the observations that are made when language learning is examined, and predicts results that are then observed. This is exactly what any theory of language learning is required to do.

It may well be an important or even the sole mechanism of language acquistion, but that's beside the point. The issue is what type of comprehensible input, what activities help make the input comprehensible, and how answers to these two two questions may vary among individuals.

Linguamor wrote:
frenkeld wrote:
... please, continue to share the details of how you do things, for your specific choices and preferences are not all automatically obvious from the comprehensible input concept alone and just may point to some other aspects of language learning and acquisition.

Could you be more specific?

The answer is in everything I've said up to this point. A number of people have been encouraging you to share the details of how you study languages, but I found it hard at times to find these details in your posts because the discussion was dominated by the comprehensible input idea. In sharing the details you allow us to try to figure out which of your actual practices may be worth emulating, for just saying "comprehensible input" is too general to be informative.

Edited by frenkeld on 30 March 2007 at 12:45pm

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6435 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish

Message 30 of 69
30 March 2007 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
I could recruit a native speaker of Korean or Chinese and instruct him or her on how to speak to me in Korean or Japanese in a way that I could understand. As my ability to understand Korean or Chinese increased, and I began to be able to speak, I could begin to converse with other native speakers, and thus learn more from comprehensible input.

Thats brilliant Linguamor, basically your "learn like a child method" would come down to hiring a native teacher to teach you privately from morning to night, living with you and devoting her existence to teaching you the language in progressive steps and in a way to be always comprehensible for you. I have never heard anything like that about language learning. Obviously you're making up things without even knowing what you're talking about...

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6840 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 31 of 69
30 March 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
kinoko wrote:

Thats brilliant Linguamor, basically your "learn like a child method" would come down to hiring a native teacher to teach you privately from morning to night, living with you and devoting her existence to teaching you the language in progressive steps and in a way to be always comprehensible for you. I have never heard anything like that about language learning. Obviously you're making up things without even knowing what you're talking about...

Wow, that sounds like my last 5 relationships!
;P

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6742 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 32 of 69
30 March 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
kinoko wrote:
... basically your "learn like a child method" would come down to hiring a native teacher to teach you privately from morning to night ...

Actually, two or three tutoring hours a week would still be consistent with the original quote.

The "learn like a child" aspect of it would be in (a) not using a dictionary, (b) not studying grammar, (c) not using one's native language, (d) immersion outside the tuturing hours.

The method doesn't really seem all that radical, and as for cost, I've known people who liked to get into a new language by working with a tutor two or three hours a week. It's not within everyone's means, but one doesn't have to be Bill Gates to afford it either.

Edited by frenkeld on 30 March 2007 at 1:28pm

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version